Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yes!!! Enhanced summon is on its way.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it depends on what other behind the scene improvements are made to NOA. If NOA has been further improved where the driver does not need to supervise as much, where it handles exits better, handles merging in busy traffic etc then yeah, having no confirmation will be great because it will mean that NOA is very close to "highway self-driving". But obviously, if NOA is the same as now just without confirmation, that would be bad because it would mean a system that is making lane changes without asking the driver but where the driver still very much has to supervise the system and override bad decisions constantly.
I'm pretty sure no confirmation will be an option. I will not turn on no confirmation until I see that NoA has improved. At its current state there is still a lot of situation I wouldn't want the car to handle.

I would not jump right to the boss fight when I get this feature.

First, I'll see if I can summon it out of the garage. If it can handle that, I'll put the car back in the garage and see if I can summon it to the end of my driveway. If that's good, I'll walk down my street to a point where I can keep eyes on the car and see if it can find me. Next, I'll put a big cardboard box in the driveway and see what the car does. It will be fun designing some levels leading up to the boss fight.

But for now, I won't be attempting to summon it at the grocery store the day before a snow storm.

What I also find interesting is that there are no lane markers in parking lots, which means IF summon is in decent enough shape to release, the car's ability to drive on unmarked roads might be improved as well. Curious to test this scenario too. I have a few roads around me that start with lane markings and then transition to no markings, so I have a good idea at how well existing AP does (not great).

I'm in agreement with several others on NoA. I'm personally not ready for confirm-less. Don't know when I will be. I suspect this has a lot to do with your use case. I'm in LA traffic and NoA is ultra conservative and suggests things I just don't agree with. Even when the freeways aren't overly busy it still makes silly suggestions: I'm in the fast lane passing traffic to my immediate right and it suggests getting out of the "passing lane". No thanks, I don't want to go 55 MPH....I'll just stay in the "passing lane" until someone comes up behind me and gives me a reason to move. Similar thing on merges/exits. The traffic in the far right is going like 45 MPH. Not bumper to bumper, but slower. Meanwhile just 1 lane to the left from that mess traffic is moving at 65 MPH+. I delay/ignore the suggestion to move over and go 45 MPH on the freeway for 2 miles. With around 1/2 - 3/4 mile or so, I comfortably will move into the far right lane in anticipation of my exit. Not cutting in line, not cutting people off, just not sitting in miles of slow traffic. NoA has to get a little smarter for me.

I'm in agreement with several others on NoA. I'm personally not ready for confirm-less. Don't know when I will be. I suspect this has a lot to do with your use case. I'm in LA traffic and NoA is ultra conservative and suggests things I just don't agree with. Even when the freeways aren't overly busy it still makes silly suggestions: I'm in the fast lane passing traffic to my immediate right and it suggests getting out of the "passing lane". No thanks, I don't want to go 55 MPH....I'll just stay in the "passing lane" until someone comes up behind me and gives me a reason to move. Similar thing on merges/exits. The traffic in the far right is going like 45 MPH. Not bumper to bumper, but slower. Meanwhile just 1 lane to the left from that mess traffic is moving at 65 MPH+. I delay/ignore the suggestion to move over and go 45 MPH on the freeway for 2 miles. With around 1/2 - 3/4 mile or so, I comfortably will move into the far right lane in anticipation of my exit. Not cutting in line, not cutting people off, just not sitting in miles of slow traffic. NoA has to get a little smarter for me.

Even if NoA is as smart as a human, each of our driving preferences are unique. My desire to change lanes may not match another human driver's. So I think even if NoA gets much smarter, I'm still going to be disagreeing with it a lot.

For now, I'd settle with vastly improved auto lane changes triggered manually by the stalk. Even there, how do you get a car to emulate the more aggressive driving styles? Manual intervention seems unavoidable until most/all cars are autonomous and/or communicating with each other.

I'm in agreement with the several others who say that I'm ready. I'm all in.

Just a reminder to everyone. "You don't have to turn NoA on" - even if you have it.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
The thread was deleted not for the topic, but for correct me if I am wrong is because a user created another handle/user profile to post information. I think that is a no no.

Actually looked it up in terms of service link:

"Members are not allowed to register more than one user name on the site under different addresses. In doing so your accounts can be removed without notice with all posts removed."

I find the topic interesting, but user false profiles somewhat could create some issues when it comes to believing what is posted if it became a habit of many parties.
Thanks for clarifying this. As you detail, users are prohibited from having multiple accounts for very good reason. This forum isn't about creating personalities, it's about being genuine in your discussions about Tesla, whether positive or negative.

While I'll probably enable NOA with no confirmation as I like beta testing software (hint to Tesla, I bought FSD at time of purchase of my car and still don't have Early Access Program access, just saying), I agree with others that the suggestions offered by NOA are approximately 30% incorrect IMHO. I'll probably be overriding it frequently, but hopefully that will send feedback to Tesla. Or maybe it doesn't give them feedback and I'm just frustrating myself. Who knows, Tesla won't give us any information and are way too Coy and silent about their tech.

Reactions: OPRCE and C141medic
For now, I'd settle with vastly improved auto lane changes triggered manually by the stalk. Even there, how do you get a car to emulate the more aggressive driving styles? Manual intervention seems unavoidable until most/all cars are autonomous and/or communicating with each other.
Some companies are working on assertive driving behavior. See e.g. here (scroll down to the video, which shows an autonomous car aggressively merging into a busy lane):

Watch how Mobileye's driverless car pushes its way through traffic like a human

Reactions: OPRCE and S4WRXTTCS

True. And good luck on freeway with FastTrak. My Tesla always asks me to go to these lanes.

Some of these features make me nervous. I'm conservative on lane changes and (probably) check my blind spot(s) more than once. NOA for instance suggests merging over to the right when 2 miles or so from an exit, but will do so in an area where another freeway merges into the existing one and there's traffic merging left. I will wait until I pass traffic merging towards me but NOA doesn't take this type of thing into account. People like to merge over quickly when transitioning freeways.

I can just see people trying to use Enhanced Summon and videos of Tesla's blocking parking lot traffic irritating people or worse, backing into people. I hope it "taps the horn" like UPS trucks when backing out!

I would definitely use no-confirm NOA on C-470 (toll road around Denver) where currently NOA operates practically flawlessly (four lane divided highway, in very good condition with visible lane markers and very little traffic). I doubt I would be comfortable using it on I-25 though.

I'm in agreement with the several others who say that I'm ready. I'm all in.

Just a reminder to everyone. "You don't have to turn NoA on" - even if you have it.
Totally get it. I'm all for having an enable/disable button and giving people more choices. I'm also glad there are people like you Garlan, so that Tesla can continue to develop into something better that I will want to use- So thank you!

Reactions: APotatoGod
I wonder what the implementation of No-Confirm will be. Will they warn you before changing lanes to give you a chance to abort?

Hopefully someone who has used it will speak up, but I imagine they have the normal 2-4 second time between turning on the turn signal and doing the lane change.

So the turn signal indication itself gives you a chance abort.

If they don't do it this way there is a good chance that the gap in the traffic that it's looking move over to will be gone if the system has to first indicate to you, and then turn on the turn signal.

I don't want any unnecessary delay as the unnecessary delay (to get confirmation) is one of the reasons NoA doesn't work so well right now.

Reactions: OPRCE