Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$12K for FSD is insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What specifically about AP are they attributing this to? Staying in your lane? Maintaining a constant speed and distance? I am not being coy, I am genuinely curious as to how it reduces accidents. AP is only supported on the highway, so I assume they are referring to highway based accidents only? People dozing off at the wheel? Drunk driving?
Well, let's see....

AP doesn't text and drive.
AP doesn't tailgate.
AP doesn't pretend its a race car driver.
AP doesn't hit other cars changing lanes.
AP doesn't drink and drive.
AP doesn't fall asleep at the wheel.

Reactions: clydeiii
You are fixated on FSD beta. That's your choice. But AP gives you lane centering and tacc. FSD, the package adds on auto lane change, navigate on auto (NOA)on highways, auto park and summon. All these don't need you to sign up for anything nor qualify - all you have to do is pay up for FSD. In addition, if you want go further you can sign up for FSD beta que which will give you access to NOA everywhere and not just on highways. I agree that's not fully functional. But point me to a company which can do anything remotely close to what Tesla does in terms of AP or FSD packages - you can't and that's why Elon is looking towards Mars.
Excluding the beta stuff (which is cool, but not near ready for prime time), plenty of companies have decent TACC and autosteer. And you don't even have to pay $12k for lane changes.

Reactions: goin2drt
Well, let's see....

AP doesn't text and drive.
AP doesn't tailgate.
AP doesn't pretend its a race car driver.
AP doesn't hit other cars changing lanes.
AP doesn't drink and drive.
AP doesn't fall asleep at the wheel.
AP doesn't know to avoid being in other driver's blind spots.
AP doesn't avoid potholes.
AP doesn't switch lanes or pass a pickup truck dropping crap all over the road.
AP doesn't brake smoothly, it late brakes and phantom brakes randomly.
AP doesn't know if it is about to rain or snow and adjust stopping distances accordingly.
AP doesn't have the ability to hear the ambulance or firetruck and move as required.

Don't get me wrong, AP is a nice improvement but the driver and the AI tech still need to work together to improve safety. If I fall asleep at the wheel with AP enabled I am still gonna crash or potentially kill someone. Same goes for FSD.

Excluding the beta stuff (which is cool, but not near ready for prime time), plenty of companies have decent TACC and autosteer. And you don't even have to pay $12k for lane changes.

Can you give some examples of where I can get a comparable, free, system from another brand?

Every system I've tried on other brands has been terrible and did far less, far less well. And usually they were pricy options on top of that.

Reactions: Huntfortelsa
AP doesn't know to avoid being in other driver's blind spots.
AP doesn't avoid potholes.
AP doesn't switch lanes or pass a pickup truck dropping crap all over the road.
AP doesn't brake smoothly, it late brakes and phantom brakes randomly.
AP doesn't know if it is about to rain or snow and adjust stopping distances accordingly.
AP doesn't have the ability to hear the ambulance or firetruck and move as required.

Don't get me wrong, AP is a nice improvement but the driver and the AI tech still need to work together to improve safety. If I fall asleep at the wheel with AP enabled I am still gonna crash or potentially kill someone. Same goes for FSD.
Who said that AP relieves the driver of his responsibilities? You asked why AP would be safer than not using AP. There is no question that AP is not perfect. Nobody claims that it is an L5 system.

Who said that AP relieves the driver of his responsibilities? You asked why AP would be safer than not using AP. There is no question that AP is not perfect. Nobody claims that it is an L5 system.
The point is that AP doesn't automatically make the car safer for the mentioned reasons. Tesla claims crash rate on AP is safer, but we know autopilot is used primarily on highways (which is already safer), so to compare that to overall crash rate which includes mixed city/highway driving is disingenuous.

When I bought FSD in 2018, EM was claiming far more than L2. "Coast-to-coast without driver intervention." Silicon snake oil. Maybe I have to wait more years for the unfulfilled promises. I am guessing it will be decades before I am not worrying about driver intervention constantly.

The point is that AP doesn't automatically make the car safer for the mentioned reasons. Tesla claims crash rate on AP is safer, but we know autopilot is used primarily on highways (which is already safer), so to compare that to overall crash rate which includes mixed city/highway driving is disingenuous.

AP, when used correctly, means human and machine are working together to become safer. I agree that comparing highway to mixed is not great, but the AP accident rate by itself is quite good. And it has been trending better consistently. 2021 saw a bigger % improvement than in past years.

Further, AP + active safety features scores better than just active safety features. This is the biggest indicator that AP improves safety.

-edit-

Tesla Daily recently did a deep dive into these metrics and had chart visualizations to make it really easy to understand.

Can you give some examples of where I can get a comparable, free, system from another brand?

Every system I've tried on other brands has been terrible and did far less, far less well. And usually they were pricy options on top of that.
Suburu makes a decent one. I drove my parents’ car for a few hundred miles with it and it was quite good. The Tesla version is better but Suburu’s was good enough. What I particularly liked was that the autosteer would automatically re-engage after a lane change once you get centered for a few seconds in the new lane.

Reactions: roc-noc and am_dmd
AP, when used correctly, means human and machine are working together to become safer. I agree that comparing highway to mixed is not great, but the AP accident rate by itself is quite good. And it has been trending better consistently. 2021 saw a bigger % improvement than in past years.

Further, AP + active safety features scores better than just active safety features. This is the biggest indicator that AP improves safety.

-edit-

Tesla Daily recently did a deep dive into these metrics and had chart visualizations to make it really easy to understand.
Safety features would also be mixed driving, so again AP over safety features does not give an obvious conclusion. Maybe the only real conclusion is that safety features are safer than no safety features😆

Safety features would also be mixed driving, so again AP over safety features does not give an obvious conclusion. Maybe the only real conclusion is that safety features are safer than no safety features😆

why? for the metric "AP + safety features" (metric #1), the safety features part is also mixed driving, so that part would be consistent with the "No AP + safety features" (metric #2) and directly comparable. The difference between them would be AP. Actually if you look at "No AP + no safety features" (metric #3), the delta in safety between #2 and #3 is much smaller than the delta between #1 and #2.

I acknowledge that these 3 metrics aren't perfect either (people who tend to use highways more might use AP more, skewing metric 1 higher than metric 2), but like I said earlier, the absolute numbers for the AP metric looks good and it's consistently improving over time.

More importantly, there's no data that even implies that AP is less safe than manual driving, just a bunch of cherrypicked anecdotes of accidents, which is completely useless at attempting to draw a conclusion.

here's the chart with the 3 metrics:
1642684095358.png

Source:

It also depends on who is doing the driving. The accident rate for AP/FSD for the subset of persons who are dedicated and able to do that type of 'driving', including quickly taking over when AP/FSD requires, does not tell you what the rate would be for AP/FSD usage among the general population.

On the other hand, if and when FSD reaches a higher level of autonomy and reliability, and becomes adopted much more widely, I agree that driving safety for the general population would almost certainly improve - and probably massively. Humans don't drive all that well. Of course, FSD adoption by the general population would require the FSD price to go down considerably and also for there to be a societal culture shift in our approach to driving.

It also depends on who is doing the driving. The accident rate for AP/FSD for the subset of persons who are dedicated and able to do that type of 'driving', including quickly taking over when AP/FSD requires, does not tell you what the rate would be for AP/FSD usage among the general population.

On the other hand, if and when FSD reaches a higher level of autonomy and reliability, and becomes adopted much more widely, I agree that driving safety for the general population would almost certainly improve - and probably massively. Humans don't drive all that well. Of course, FSD adoption by the general population would require the FSD price to go down considerably and also for there to be a societal culture shift in our approach to driving.

Agreed. to be clear, the metrics I posted above are for AP (not FSD beta), and is definitely a much larger data sample, which grows with each Tesla sold. And very encouragingly, as more and more "general" people start to own Teslas, we're seeing the AP metrics trend toward more safe, not less.

It is available.

Again, 6 of the 7 listed features have been in wide release for years.

The 7th is in narrow beta release.

That's the opposite of vaporware- a term you're using grossly incorrectly, either on purpose or out of ignorance of its actual meaning.
Wide release does not imply that it functions. Get over yourself and stop trying to justify a purchase you made to other people.
Adaptive cruise systems have been in production for years without issue by virtually all automakers without phantom braking.

None of Tesla's automated driving systems work to a satisfactory level and certainly worse than everyone else's.

You're welcome to resort to the tired trope of telling me to buy a different brand if I'm unhappy with it.

Except that the data on AP being measurably safer than not is for all tesla owners using AP not this made-up-in-your-head group of "special" people who are EXTRA cautious.

Again- using AP requires less work than normal driving since the car is doing 2 of the 3 required tasks, and the human is free to focus solely on the third one that they'd still need to do ANYWAY if driving manually in addition to them doing the other ones.

Wide release does not imply that it functions.

No, the fact there's billions of miles of recorded use, with a significantly better safety record than driving without it, does though.

Adaptive cruise systems have been in production for years without issue by virtually all automakers without phantom braking.

This is an outright lie.

Other car makers have had massive recalls and lawsuits over unintended braking and other issues with adaptive cruise systems, including not just brake issues (and others, like unintended acceleration, etc) on their systems, far worse than Tesla. Just a very few examples:

The fact phantom braking is common to all adaptive cruise systems has been widely reported for years. Weird you missed it.

Tesla, in contrast, as had ONE recall ever, for this- and it was due to a faulty software update that was corrected like a day later with an OTA update.

None of Tesla's automated driving systems work to a satisfactory level and certainly worse than everyone else's.

Again this is an outright lie- Even CR, which tends to be quite anti-tesla, admitted the actual function of their system was superior to everyone else they tested, only putting Caddy for nebulous things like "driver engagement and monitoring" rather than the actual driving functions where Tesla was ahead in virtually ever measure of performance.

And Tesla being Tesla has since been able to significantly increase the driver monitoring capabilities via free OTA updates using the interior camera too--- While Cadillac has instead... stopped selling their system entirely blaming chip shortages.

If you can't argue honestly you don't have a very good argument.

Last edited:
Except that the data on AP being measurably safer than not is for all tesla owners using AP not this made-up-in-your-head group of "special" people who are EXTRA cautious.

Again- using AP requires less work than normal driving since the car is doing 2 of the 3 required tasks, and the human is free to focus solely on the third one that they'd still need to do ANYWAY if driving manually in addition to them doing the other ones.
This assumes that by having the car perform steps 1 and 2 that the driver will tend to be more focused on step 3. What if it has the opposite effect with some drivers? If the car is performing steps 1 and 2 then maybe the driver becomes less focused on step 3? Maybe the driver exhibits more bad behavior as a result of trusting the AP vs. being more engaged in steps 1 and 2?

We see videos of people hopping in the back seat while AP is on. We see folks trying to defeat the steering wheel nag. We see people more prone to fall asleep because they are not engaged in steps 1 and steps 2. Tesla is now starting to use the internal camera help overcome these behaviors. But enabling the internal camera brings up a whole other set of issues. Big brother is watching, etc. AI is tricky, like everything in life it has its pros and cons.

Reactions: COS Blue
This assumes that by having the car perform steps 1 and 2 that the driver will tend to be more focused on step 3. What if it has the opposite effect with some drivers?

Then we'd see higher accident rates, not lower.

Unless the system is so good that the % of the time it saves you from an accident a human would've gotten into is significantly higher than the % of time "not paying attention" causes one-- in which case it's still objectively safer than human driving.

But enabling the internal camera brings up a whole other set of issues. Big brother is watching, etc. AI is tricky, like everything in life it has its pros and cons.

The camera data is processed in real time, and never leaves the car (this is explicitly pointed out when enabled- and hackers like Green have confirmed it's true)

The tinfoil hat types will whine about it, but there's no fact based reason to do so.

Not worth it at any price to buy. Rent it for a month as a party trick. I do hope it gets L5, but right now, we are all paying to be Beta Testers. Tesla should be paying us instead.
100% agree with the idea of "rent it for a month as a party trick." After renting it for a month I have no FOMO. I may rent it again in a year just to see what's changed.