Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, very well marked yet moderate curves where you would feel some lateral G's if you don't slow down. I guess the best way to describe it is that the AP seems too "literal" in that it tries very hard to exactly follow the curve, but then ends up over-correcting. It seems to depict distant cars earlier in some scenarios, but in other situations not detect a car that intrudes into the lane (doesn't slow down).

Also, I had an instance where driving 80MPH a car changed into an adjacent lane and slowed down, and the car thought the car was still in my lane and slammed on the brakes.

The firmware cannot reliably track adjacent cars.

As mentioned before, I'm hoping it's just a calibration issue. I think on the last firmware upgrade the driving got smoother after a few days of use.

Could be. I saw some of the adjacent cars behavior shortly after getting 17.24.28, but haven't seen it since so wrote it off as a fluke. This last weekend I did a longish trip(142 miles each way) and even on exits it handled the curves no problem, which is why your comment surprised me. Hopefully after a bake in you see the same behavior in seeing.

On the same small stretch of Lincoln blvd (PCH) in Marina Del Rey, I've tried 17.26.76 where I've used my AP2 many times before (and even my previous AP1 before that), and I'm not so certain that had I not intervened I wouldn't have rear ended a stopped car at a light maybe 3 or 4 different times since the update. And each time there's a huge gap of no cars in front of me before the stopped car, I have tried setting TAC on farthest following distance (7) the most recent time (usually have it at 4 or 5), and it's as if AP isn't seeing the car stopped in front of me till the last second, i didn't even see it on the instrument cluster till last second. Pretty disconcerting. I'm a fanboy and hate to write something negative but this has me disappointed. I agree with everyone that high speed lane keeping is better, approaching "pretty smooth", not sure about "silky".

very interesting.

On the same small stretch of Lincoln blvd (PCH) in Marina Del Rey, I've tried 17.26.76 where I've used my AP2 many times before (and even my previous AP1 before that), and I'm not so certain that had I not intervened I wouldn't have rear ended a stopped car at a light maybe 3 or 4 different times since the update. And each time there's a huge gap of no cars in front of me before the stopped car, I have tried setting TAC on farthest following distance (7) the most recent time (usually have it at 4 or 5), and it's as if AP isn't seeing the car stopped in front of me till the last second, i didn't even see it on the instrument cluster till last second. Pretty disconcerting. I'm a fanboy and hate to write something negative but this has me disappointed. I agree with everyone that high speed lane keeping is better, approaching "pretty smooth", not sure about "silky".

Remember that AP1 has never been able to detect stopped cars that you approach from behind that were out of radar range when they stopped. At this point in the software development cycle, I'm sure AP2 is the same. Never assume that TACC will stop for a stopped car.

Back in May of 2015, a brand new 3-day old P85D imported to Turkey was totaled because TACC did not detect a stopped car. Don't do that to your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
OK, not sure if this is a new development or not (and I haven't read 15 pages of this thread), but I just got 17.26.76 on my classic non-AP last night. No release notes. I thought they had been keeping the release numbers separate for the AP vs Non AP, so I was surprised to see that.

My "AP" is definitely silky smooth ;)

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Parebalo
Lane changes are extremely abrupt for me, to the point that my wife does not want me to use it when she's with me. I have been locking the turn signal on until completing the change. Is it "smoother", less abrupt if just holding but not locking the signal on? Will try it next chance I get.

I recommend everyone call Tesla Service and tell them that the lane change is too aggressive. If more of us call, they will eventually change it.

One other comment about this update: the AEB has activated twice in the last three days when the car in front of me was well ahead AND I was slowing down safely. Alarms and red car on the dash. I called service center and they said... it's a feature.

Overall, I'm still happy with the car. But the ownership experience is a roller coaster ride.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
One other comment about this update: the AEB has activated twice in the last three days when the car in front of me was well ahead AND I was slowing down safely. Alarms and red car on the dash. I called service center and they said... it's a feature.

Overall, I'm still happy with the car. But the ownership experience is a roller coaster ride.
That was AEB, that was collusion warning. It happens a lot earlier than AEB. AEB would have slammed on the breaks, resulting in you crashing into the car in front at a slower speed.

I have 17.26.76 and it did stopped after a car already stopped at the light. It did it later than I would have done it but certainty slowed down around maybe 200m out then stopped after. Back in my AP1 days, it would have went full speed into it if it didn't see it while it was moving before it stopped. Only 1 test s far but it is encouraging.

You can change the sensitivity of the forward collision warning. If you tend to drive more aggressively it may come on too much with the "medium" setting. You could try "Late".

Last edited:
I did some more testing with 17.26.76, AP2. There is a curve in the road I drive to work every day that AP2 has never been able to take without going off the road. With the new update, the car now slows down just before the curve and takes the turn perfectly, staying between the lines like my AP1 car does. It still drives over the yellow center line slightly on another turn but is getting better. Overall, definitely getting better with each update. Here is a video of the drive:

My experience on the new "silky" firmware is much worse than the last. It really bounces around the curves. It dive-and-drives for lanes that widen. It gets really jittery following cars at highway speeds (with distance set to 2), with intermittent but abrupt micro-decelerations. I didn't have that behavior much before. I'm wondering if it has to do with needing time to calibrate again.
I'm a Dec '16 delivery, and I got the "this is Autopilot" demo on an AP1 car. "Fraud" is a heavy word, but your case has merit IMHO (and I'm not a lawyer, but I play one at parties). I didn't believe them because I read a lot about what was going on with Mobileye and I don't believe a lot of things. That's to my credit, but that doesn't give Tesla a bye on what they did. And that FSD video was total demo-ware that totally shouldn't have been shown. So I don't care you're pissed about that.

That being said, @oktane, there's either seriously something wrong with your car or you're a super sensitive driver. This update takes curves very well - basically like a person. It's pretty good. In challenging cases it still fails, but it is way better in almost every way than 17.17.4. It slows way down for curves that are tight, but I pushed the accelerator today and the performance was good on some tight curves. I take that to mean that they're limiting speed, but the control can actually handle more speed.

The lane changes are stupid insane though. I drove my family from Chicago to Green Bay for camp this past weekend. I started announcing "Hard to port" and "Hard to starboard" as I made changes. After dropping the kids off, my little terrier was alone in the back seat. He's deaf so he didn't hear my announcements and actually fell over when I changed lanes. And he already hates my car because the back seat is so uncomfortable. :(

I'm a Dec '16 delivery, and I got the "this is Autopilot" demo on an AP1 car. "Fraud" is a heavy word, but your case has merit IMHO (and I'm not a lawyer, but I play one at parties). I didn't believe them because I read a lot about what was going on with Mobileye and I don't believe a lot of things. That's to my credit, but that doesn't give Tesla a bye on what they did. And that FSD video was total demo-ware that totally shouldn't have been shown. So I don't care you're pissed about that.

That being said, @oktane, there's either seriously something wrong with your car or you're a super sensitive driver. This update takes curves very well - basically like a person. It's pretty good. In challenging cases it still fails, but it is way better in almost every way than 17.17.4. It slows way down for curves that are tight, but I pushed the accelerator today and the performance was good on some tight curves. I take that to mean that they're limiting speed, but the control can actually handle more speed.

The lane changes are stupid insane though. I drove my family from Chicago to Green Bay for camp this past weekend. I started announcing "Hard to port" and "Hard to starboard" as I made changes. After dropping the kids off, my little terrier was alone in the back seat. He's deaf so he didn't hear my announcements and actually fell over when I changed lanes. And he already hates my car because the back seat is so uncomfortable. :(

It seemed a little better to me today. I was able to find it useable on straight sections of freeway. It is disconcerting when lanes widen, since it seems to want to exactly follow all lane markings implicitly even though there is just a temporary gap in the lane. Hard to explain. The car wants to follow curves exactly but will overcorrect and react abruptly, making iit harsh around curves, more so than last firmware. The lane changes are certainly too aggressive right now.

When I'm driving around a moderate curve, I look far, far ahead and figure out the amount of steering input needed. The steering wheel remains motionless from start to finish and I am centered in the lane the whole time. The Tesla can't achieve that yet on AP2, it's like drawing a circle with a bunch of small straight lines.

A serious question amidst all the angst about lane changing in this release: Why is AP lane changing of any value?

We are required to have eyes on the road and a hand on the wheel at all times. At high speeds, changing lanes requires only a subtle nudge on the steering wheel that is almost unconscious to an experienced driver. Judging when it's safe to do so requires a lot more than just checking the size of a gap. Good drivers are aware of the relative speed and position of the cars around them, and even of the behavior of certain drivers. No automated system can match that, and really, what is it saving?

The other AP features, lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control, reduce fatigue, or at least they will when we can fully trust them. Lane changing seems pointless until we finally enter the Promised Land of FSD.

MX100D AP2 March 2017 here. I got this update (came from 17.17.17). This update is HORRIBLE. To be fair, I have not driven 50 miles yet, but this update so far makes AutoPilot pretty much unusable. This is on highways and local roads. Issues:

Not holding a straight line.
False turning/diving into other lanes or off the road.
Reducing to SUPER slow speeds in turns with random breaking (5-10mph decrease breaking) throughout.
Strange TACC behavior where it doesn't actually go up to the speed you set. Like 1-2mph slower than the setting even though no one in front of you.

Good stuff:
I do have the auto-dimming display and it seems to work but that needs more testing.
The perpendicular parking worked once out of three times I tried, but I will need more testing to see if its just the way I was trying to use it.

It seemed a little better to me today. I was able to find it useable on straight sections of freeway. It is disconcerting when lanes widen, since it seems to want to exactly follow all lane markings implicitly even though there is just a temporary gap in the lane. Hard to explain. The car wants to follow curves exactly but will overcorrect and react abruptly, making iit harsh around curves, more so than last firmware. The lane changes are certainly too aggressive right now.

When I'm driving around a moderate curve, I look far, far ahead and figure out the amount of steering input needed. The steering wheel remains motionless from start to finish and I am centered in the lane the whole time. The Tesla can't achieve that yet on AP2, it's like drawing a circle with a bunch of small straight lines.

While I do like to set a curve and not constantly adjust my steering wheel, no one is perfect everytime. I don't expect AP2 to be able to do that. I did get the small straight line curve action in 17.17.x but I don't in this latest firmware. It might slow down a bit too much for a turn but it does it like a human. It might readjust the amount of torque on the wheel but so do humans as the curve plays out (yes, I do like to pick one turn angle and ride it out right in the center but not everyone does that).

That being said, I agree with @_jal_ , it sounds like you might have either a hardware issue or are very sensitive to any failing in AP. Its definitely too jerky on lane changes and it definitely waits too long to accelerate after stopped and then accelerates very slowly. It is far too aggressive at lane hunting when the lane widens out and it will bounce around like crazy if the lane splits but the list of failing items are decreasing and the regressions hopefully can be quickly tamed. I'm a lot more hopeful but another 2 months before a non-major update will, once again, make me pessimistic.

As always, Tesla's utter lack of a game plan communicated to owners is the heart of why people are very disappointed (on top of the Nov/Dec 2016 misleading statements and videos).