Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S85 Battery Replacement (Out of warranty) - my experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 85 AP1 with 180k miles. My baby. HV battery RIP today. Was about to go to my doctors and boom, Tesla app said car has 0 miles. Went to car in garage and it told me to schedule a service (no start) and also the 12v needs to be replaced. Well I had a tow and it turned out to be the HV per SC. Warranty done in Nov 22 :/ . No warnings and no prior battery issues. Back in Nov actually I had low coolant error and they topped it off. Did not notice a leak either. They said it was okay. Hopefully this was not the reason the pack failed.

Reading this thread actually gets me excited because I was 212 miles at 90% and if I can get 290 at 90% and faster super charging then I would gladly pay the 15k.

Last edited:
2014 85 AP1 with 180k miles. My baby. HV battery RIP today. Was about to go to my doctors and boom, Tesla app said car has 0 miles. Went to car in garage and it told me to schedule a service (no start) and also the 12v needs to be replaced. Well I had a tow and it turned out to be the HV per SC. Warranty done in Nov 22 :/ . No warnings and no prior battery issues. Back in Nov actually I had low coolant error and they topped it off. Did not notice a leak either. They said it was okay. Hopefully this was not the reason the pack failed.

Reading this thread actually gets me excited because I was 212 miles at 90% and if I can get 290 at 90% and faster super charging then I would gladly pay the 15k.
Another recent thread, documenting my recent saga. Time for a new HV Battery

Reactions: ericl
SC called and offered me a 90kwh battery 16 cell or 90kwh 14 cell. The 14 cell is said to be $2.5k more but I haven’t received the total costs yet. They did not offer a remanufactured 85 (or a loaner booooo). Can someone enlighten me what the main difference is?

SC called and offered me a 90kwh battery 16 cell or 90kwh 14 cell. The 14 cell is said to be $2.5k more but I haven’t received the total costs yet. They did not offer a remanufactured 85 (or a loaner booooo). Can someone enlighten me what the main difference is?
The 14 module pack is a ~350v pack, vs a ~450v pack, but it uses a newer design. You will likely get more range from the 14 module pack, while putting slightly more stress on the power electronics in your car. (Because of greater current required to perform the same at the lower voltage.)

I think most people would opt for the 14 module pack. (The exception might be people that have a performance model.)

Several questions so that we can assist in your decision making - What year, trim is your Model S? What do you intend to do with your MS? Keep forever, sell ASAP, etc? Does your Tesla Service Center offer a new (not remanufactured) 85 kWh battery pack? Why don't they offer the remanufactured 85 kWh? Can you post any pics of what they quoted you? Thx.

2014 85s with AP1. One of the first 100 to have AP so I’m hoping to keep it foreverrrrr. See previous post for more information.

Another question @MP3Mike is that does the 16 cell and the 14 cell offer similar supercharging speeds???

@NV Ray I will ask them for a “cheapest” option and see if they offer the 85 but it was not explicitly given to me over the phone.

Reactions: NV Ray
2014 85s with AP1. One of the first 100 to have AP so I’m hoping to keep it foreverrrrr. See previous post for more information.

Another question @MP3Mike is that does the 16 cell and the 14 cell offer similar supercharging speeds???

@NV Ray I will ask them for a “cheapest” option and see if they offer the 85 but it was not explicitly given to me over the phone.
Sent you PM

The 16 refurb one will probably have same supercharging until it will be nerfed after a certain number of kWh (not sure if this was completely removed for older packs...).
On another note, I've seen warranty replacements were client had to pay for some different cabling retrofit and that was enabling faster charging. Not sure if this is related to the charger generation and cabling from the charge port.

From parts catalogue:
new 14 modules:
ASY-HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX1014116-00-C
refurb 16 modules:
ASY-HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX, REMANUFACTURED1597782-01-C

The parts catalogue also shows this, but seems to be the V1 of the 90kWh that is not produced since forever:
ASY,HV BATTERY,90L,SX1088792-00-A

From parts catalogue:
new 14 modules:
refurb 16 modules:

The parts catalogue also shows this, but seems to be the V1 of the 90kWh that is not produced since forever:
Here sticker on my out of warranty HV replacement. I must have the 14 module one. So, the "penthouse" then doesn't contain any modules?

New HV battery.jpg

Update, so the tech said it’s either the 90kwh battery with 14 cells or the 85kwh. @kirkusss so that confirms the lack of production of the 90kwh, I choose the 85kwh option because he said it’s still upgraded with faster super charger speeds. Cross fingers and hope for the 90kwh and I can just unlock later on if needed. Total is 15.5k with tax. Will report back in 1 week.

BDA641FD-026E-40A0-B899-ACC58BDA1D22.png

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
From parts catalogue:
new 14 modules:
refurb 16 modules:

108* 90kWh is V3... but yeah, i don't think they make these anymore...

Update, so the tech said it’s either the 90kwh battery with 14 cells or the 85kwh. @kirkusss so that confirms the lack of production of the 90kwh, I choose the 85kwh option because he said it’s still upgraded with faster super charger speeds. Cross fingers and hope for the 90kwh and I can just unlock later on if needed. Total is 15.5k with tax. Will report back in 1 week.

View attachment 912991
New or reman 85 kwh?

View attachment 912991
Recommend taking pic of current sticker. Here's my old one.

View attachment 912991
Recommend taking pic of current HV battery sticker for piece of mind, historical, etc. Located near right front passenger tire. Here mine before out of warranty HV battery was replaced.

20221024_104231.jpg

New or reman 85 kwh?
Remanufactured per spec . On the phone they said it’s pretty much identical to the 90 in terms of super charge speeds and will act similarly to a new battery. So I think they will give me a 90 and lock it to 85 as they did to yours.

I believe the 90 was $17.8k out the door. I didn’t think the 5kw was worth an extra 2k. I just wanted higher expected range of what I had now in addition to the better super charge rates. They assured me the range was going to be better with this “new” 85.

671FEB43-5CBF-43B8-A551-1A7496F04D45.png