Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S85 Battery Replacement (Out of warranty) - my experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to read through the whole thread again, but want to note, an 85 to 90 should NOT require suspension upgrade. They contain the same number of cells and are virtually identical weight. A 60, 70 or 75 to an 85, 90 or 100, yes. A 85 to a 90, no, a 85 or 90 to 100, not "necessary" but recommended.
This is contradictory to what I was advised by the Service Center. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Specifically, the Right and Left "SUBFRAME SHEAR PLATES" (1055766-00-B,1055866-00-B), and "RR UPPER LINK ASSYS" (2x 1027421-00-E)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
It's the same speed as the 85 packs (except A revision) before they were charge rate gated.
I just charged my 90 a few weeks ago and here is what I got.
7F86E2B6-CA04-47DB-81BA-02830AD5756E.jpeg

I know there are other threads on the topic, but I thought I would share my experience separately so it does not get lost in another's thread.

Background: 2013 Tesla Model S 85, 127k mi. Original battery as far as I am aware (1014114-00-B, T13A0004404 [Jan 2013?])

• Nov 19: BMS_u029 error message after supercharge to 90%+
    • Vehicle seems to not charge
    • "Maximum battery charge level reduced"
    • "OK to drive - Schedule service"
  • Nov 23: Scheduled service/diagnostic
    • Requested diagnostic first
      • Wanted to know if terminal battery failure or if could possibly be something else
    • If battery needed:
      • What options available? 85/90/100kWh? New vs reman? Costs?
      • Lead-times for battery packs?
      • Expected turnaround/labor times?
      • Loaner availability?
    • Appt set for Nov 26th
  • Nov 26: Service appointment
    • Was advised that diagnostic was done remotely, new HV battery needed
    • Was given options of 85 or 90 kWh replacement packs
      • Confirmed either choice would be reman pack, would come with 4y 50k mi warranty
85kWh: $13,500 (HV bat) + $429 (labor) +tax = ~$15k
90kWh: $17,000 (HV bat) + ~$900 (ancillary parts, mostly suspension for the 'upgrade') + $429 (labor) +tax =~$20k
    • Service Center advisor informed that if 90 chosen, the cost would be as outlined above ~$20k. If 85 chosen, price would be the ~$15k above
      • HOWEVER: Tesla can provide the 90 in lieu of the 85 (if they choose, pending availability or other reasons). If this were to occur, the 'ancillary' costs above would be waived.
        • If the 90 is installed in place of the 85, the 5 differential can be software unlocked for $750
    • Was advised that a battery would take 2-3 weeks to arrive, and that the battery could not be ordered unless drop car off and sign service agreement.
    • Was offered a loaner (likely M3), but would not be available until Monday (this was on a Saturday)
  • Nov 28: Service Center
    • Chose to have replacement 85 kWh battery (🤞🏻 for 90) @ ~$15k
    • Was anticipating loaner, but I asked if we could instead let me continue to drive my car until the replacement arrived
      • I chose to pursue if it were possible to retain my car instead of take a loaner for the time waiting on the replacement HV battery arrival. Was initially told this is not possible but upon further review was allowed to do this. I am out of warranty, I did not feel comfortable taking advantage of a free loaner for 3 weeks. The car was still charging to ~90 miles, I could make do for this time.
    • Via app messaging: was advised that the battery was ordered and they would contact me when arrived in order to arrange replacement
  • Dec 5: Advised ETA of HV battery, Dec 15
    • Was periodically updated, ETA changed to Dec 16
  • Dec 16 (fri): Advised HV battery arrived, loaner available
    • Arranged to come in same-day to drop off car and pick up loaner ('22 MY perf.)
  • Dec 17 (sat): Advised vehicle ready for pickup
    • Invoice showed ~$17k (was supposed to be ~$15k), had a few suspension items on it that should not have been
      • My service advisor was unavailable (weekend), decided to keep loaner until Monday when he was back in the office
  • Dec 19 (mon): Corrected invoice was provided, first thing in the morning
    • $13,250 HV battery (ASY-HV BATTERY,SX-SW LIM 85(1918190-85-A)) + $25.92 (battery bolts) + $429 (labor) + $1028.89 (tax) = $14,733.81 total
    • Paid and picked up

• Pre-repair:
    • Rated (not ideal) range @ 100% = ~228mi (of 265mi when new, ~14% degradation)
    • Rough supercharging rate was something like SoC + kW = 100 to 105
      • Example @ 25% SoC I would see ~ 80kW
  • Post-repair:
    • Rated range @ 100% = 298mi (via Teslafi)
      • I have only charged 3 times (to 80%) since the repair, but the range estimated range has actually slightly increased from 296 to 298 over this time.
    • Rough supercharging rate: SoC + kW = 130 to 140, and maintains higher kW much deeper into the curve

It seems I was provided the 90 kWh and from what I can see it is not software limiting. Range and SC charging rates are much improved. All around extremely happy with the service provided, the communication I received, and with the car, despite the hefty price tag on this repair. As I understand it, this is effectively the newest tech for the S batteries, I expect it to last significantly longer than the original.

I just ran into the same issue with my 2013 S with 113,000 miles on it. We were told to expect 200,000 miles of battery life when we originally purchased these in 2013. Were we sold a bill of goods then or is something nefarious happening now (with Tesla revenue and stock price suffering)? How are we to know that Tesla isn't remotely causing our batteries to fail? I received a message about my 12v needing to be replaced, and three days later my car would not start up. Now they are telling me I must replace my battery for $15,000.

I just ran into the same issue with my 2013 S with 113,000 miles on it. We were told to expect 200,000 miles of battery life when we originally purchased these in 2013. Were we sold a bill of goods then or is something nefarious happening now (with Tesla revenue and stock price suffering)? How are we to know that Tesla isn't remotely causing our batteries to fail? I received a message about my 12v needing to be replaced, and three days later my car would not start up. Now they are telling me I must replace my battery for $15,000.
Understand your pain. I got BMS_u029 error THREE DAYS after purchasing my 2012 P85 from original owner last Oct. $15k later I have new battery. Started a Facebook Group if you want to join the rest of us there. Tesla BMS_u029 | Facebook

Understand your pain. I got BMS_u029 error THREE DAYS after purchasing my 2012 P85 from original owner last Oct.
I wonder what the chances are that the previous owner did something to reset the error so that they could dump the car instead of replacing the battery themselves.

I just ran into the same issue with my 2013 S with 113,000 miles on it. We were told to expect 200,000 miles of battery life when we originally purchased these in 2013. Were we sold a bill of goods then or is something nefarious happening now (with Tesla revenue and stock price suffering)?
I don't think you were sold a bill of goods or that there is anything nefarious happening now. But you are ignoring the time factor, which causes issues as well.

There is a video out there where a Tesla employee said that they were originally worried mainly about cells failing, but it turns out the cells last way longer than they expected, but other things were causing problems that they didn't expect. (I think they mentioned vibration and moisture ingress as two of the things that were causing failures that they didn't expect.) They have since worked on resolving those issues in newer pack designs.

Tell them to check the DC to DC converter first. Thats too much of a co-incidence that the 12v would fail followed by the HV Battery a couple days later. A lot of service centers are mis-diagnosing failed batteries when its the dc to dc. A friend had that issue on his 2013, thankfully it was under battery warranty at the time, so he was only out the cost of a dc-dc and not the battery.
Jason Hughes (WK057) has been touching on this subject a lot lately.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and buckets0fun
Tell them to check the DC to DC converter first. Thats too much of a co-incidence that the 12v would fail followed by the HV Battery a couple days later. A lot of service centers are mis-diagnosing failed batteries when its the dc to dc. A friend had that issue on his 2013, thankfully it was under battery warranty at the time, so he was only out the cost of a dc-dc and not the battery.
Jason Hughes (WK057) has been touching on this subject a lot lately.
Thank you so much! The cynic in me notes the timing of the recall today. It's scary that - theoretically - Tesla could remotely cause our cars to not start and invent a need to replace the battery at a cost of $15k + at a time when they need revenue. And, it's not like you can request the old part to ensure it needed replacement like you could with the auto mechanics / cars of old. Since they keep and refurbish our old batteries, we have to take them at their word that it needed to be replaced.

And, it's not like you can request the old part to ensure it needed replacement like you could with the auto mechanics / cars of old. Since they keep and refurbish our old batteries, we have to take them at their word that it needed to be replaced.
Sure you can. Most states have laws that say they have to. Of course, they can charge you a core charge if you keep it, but that is standard practice in the automotive world.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I'm fairly certain that by regulation (here in MA anyway) the core fee must appear on the invoice, or you get to keep whatever you're replacing if you want it.
Core only appears if you ASK to keep your part, then they’ll “check to get the core pricing” and add it to your invoice. This will require a new approval within the app.

However, ask @wk057 has explained, tesla pushes back on HV packs being owner retained.

Thank you so much! The cynic in me notes the timing of the recall today. It's scary that - theoretically - Tesla could remotely cause our cars to not start and invent a need to replace the battery at a cost of $15k + at a time when they need revenue. And, it's not like you can request the old part to ensure it needed replacement like you could with the auto mechanics / cars of old. Since they keep and refurbish our old batteries, we have to take them at their word that it needed to be replaced.

There's some deep, dark cynicism here.

Imagine the folks in charge at Tesla felt that way. They flipped a switch and batteries started to "fail." How many employees would have to be in the loop? Dozens? Hundreds? How do you prevent just one of them from growing a conscience and running to the LA Times? Investigations follow, then lawsuits. Discovery opens up internal communications, and you can't hide the evidence behind such a thing because it requires software changes. Tesla would cease to exist as a company shortly after that point.

Even if someone was that evil, the risks so far exceed any possible reward that it would be an impossibly bad business move. Nobody is conspiring to unnecessarily sell you a battery. Especially in a time when battery demand far outstrips supply.