Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that it is sometimes having lots of trouble recognizing the lane markings in places that it didn't before. Ever since I installed this update about a day ago I'm no longer able to rely on AP for my highway commute because there are times where it loses the lane markers. I'm finding that it gives me wavy lines or incorrect lines far more often that before. The situations did involve some sun glare and some areas where the lanes have been redirected (leaving behind some painted over lines) but prior software versions since even before 17.17.17 handled this with no issues. This is discouraging especially since the notes make it sound like not much was changed.
I had the exact same issue today. The car had difficulty recognizing lane markings and would get confused with painted over lines where it had not before.

Tesla has not documented this. I don't know how many share this belief, but I haven't observed it.

I'm skeptical. I have yet to see anything in the behavior of TACC or autosteer that leads me to believe it "calibrates" or "learns" in any way over time. Seems to be a hard-coded algorithm that will respond identically every time given identical inputs.

Reactions: Tangible
My update appeared this morning. After work, I did an eval on city streets (Mountain View, CA and Los Altos, CA), more challenging roads (Los Altos Hills), and highway (I-280 and US 101).

As others have reported, the auto lane change behavior is just right. Like Goldilocks, pre- .76 was too slow, .76 was too fast. This one nailed it. Lane keeping in general seems fine. The transition from lane change to lane keeping, especially on curves, is sweet. Perfect, really.

Lane keeping curve behavior on the highway is fine. There is a bit of automation feel, but I wouldn't call it ping ponging or even uncomfortable. Just a subtle hunting sometimes for the optimum steering angle. More than adequate, very acceptable. There was no truck affinity, but it does bother me that when it overtakes a large vehicle in an adjacent lane, it doesn't give any quarter in the lane. Just sticks to its path as if that large neighbor isn't there. Humans don't do that, generally. So it feels uncomfortable. And yet, it didn't trade any paint, so so far, so good.

City behavior isn't horrible, but it definitely isn't ready for climbing in the back seat and taking a nap. It did very well crossing intersections, and handling odd lanes (with one sided marking, wide lanes as two lanes merge, etc.). Some hunting, but generally did the right thing. Maybe it is my imagination, but in these cases, it seems to take a hint from my steering wheel pressure - if I suggest left when it wants to go right, it frequently seems to take the hint and go my way. That could certainly be coincidence.

Los Altos Hills "country" roads presented maximum challenge. It, no surprise, handled Deer Creek Road just fine. After all, that's Tesla HQ's street! However, Fremont Road, just before the left turn to Edith Road, is sort of a maximum challenge: a steep downhill, sharp right, then sharp left, narrow lane marked only with a center stripe, and no shoulders. It instantly failed, didn't take the downhill sharp right, but crossed the yellow line on its way to a disaster on the left lane edge. I of course stopped it before that happened, but if a car had been coming up hill, a less attentive driver could have had a serious accident. (All this at 25mph.)

That was a worst case scenario, and I didn't expect it to get it right (FSD better get it right though...). It did handle much of the country road areas very well, though I was quite nervous. It wandered a bit, but there was very little in the way of lane markings for it to work with. For the most part, only a center line was available. I was overall impressed with the performance in a challenging area.

One serious problem in this release: when in stop and go traffic, acceleration from a stop, in traffic, is horrible. Setting the following distance to 1 gets me close when it stops, as I want. But when the vehicle ahead starts, my vehicle waited uncomfortably long to follow, opening a large gap, with very laggardly acceleration. The "good" news is I was able to add throttle to keep up without disrupting the automated functions. But Tesla needs to fix this. Folks behind me are likely to start honking. I'm sure Elon wouldn't accept this. I guess he didn't try it.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueRocket
I just got it on my AP2 Model X, and I noticed something a little odd. I always peek at the download sizes of these updates and I noticed that this particular update had a massive download size, which is odd for something that should be a minor release. I'm used to updates being around 100-300 MB but this update was a whopping 1.2 GB.

Here is a screenshot:

And here's the current update compared to the last one I received (17.26.76). The large spike in the graph on the right is 17.28 c528869 and the 2nd highest bar between July 2 - 9 is 17.26.76. The difference is huge, and the bar from today should actually be double that size (the app just didn't refresh it yet):

I only saw 400-450 MB, about average.

Just to clarify, he means the system is not meant to brake when approaching stopped cars at high speed (40 mph+ especially) and should not be relied on for such.

How about 60+? The freeway I take on a daily basis has a lot of traffic. I can be going 70+ then come upon a slowing down to 0 mph (like in freeway merge points). In my experience my MS handles that fine. There usually is a car on my display, but sometimes not. So far I've not had to take control. In this part I'm impressed. In the past I did have some slowing problems. In an old version I would see tail lights ahead and think "I would at least be taking my foot off the pedal at this point, if not breaking". But now it seems to react much sooner to slowing/stopped traffic.

I've experienced other issues. Such as phantom slowing, but I consider that a different issue.

Overall, the advice to everyone is don't wait to brake because you think AP will react. Please stay safe and consider this your responsibility.
Absolutely. Don't trust it. But in this area it has worked well for me.

Last edited:
First drive after update this morning on mostly empty highway driving. +1 on the lane change; better simulates a manual operation. For me, it also solved a white-knuckle moment when changing lanes bound by a concrete barrier with no shoulder. The herky-jerky action of the previous update would propel me perilously close to kissing the barrier and the side sensors would light up red (but oddly enough no bat-stop braking). So this morning I checked it out whilst taking a curve and it was "silky smooth". One other quirk it seemed to have resolved that I haven't seen others mention, was the annoying slight jerk of the wheel to the right when engaging AS. It's completely gone, so far.

Other than that, positioning within the lane on curves still drifts too close to one side or the other. The one car I encountered this morning just happened to be passing me on a curve and I had to take over AS because it steered uncomfortably close. I was also hoping for better detection from the side sensors on the front of the car. They never light up when overtaking a vehicle; only the side sensors on the rear glow after I've completed passing. I'd feel more confident if I knew that data was being fed into the electronic brain "hey there's a car in that lane, don't get too squirrely".

I didn't notice any significant decrease in the estimated "miles" of battery capacity being displayed, which the release notes mentioned. Maybe it needs to collate more data on my driving style before it recalculates.

Still too early for me to pass judgment on this update. YMMV

I've only done limited surface street driving since receiving the .28 update - and at least on the surface streets I was on, AutoSteer still isn't very silky smooth.

It seems like Tesla is oversampling the sensor data - and adjusting too often to what the software believes is lane marker movement.

The lane marker display on the dashboard is rapidly moving from side-to-side, and the software seems to follow that with unnecessary side-to-side adjustments.

Tesla should be able to smooth out this data, which would reduce or eliminate the side-to-side adjustments, and still have faster reaction times than a human driver.

Until the dashboard display looks silky smooth, I probably won't have much confidence with the AutoSteer, at least on surface streets.

Yesterday's lane hugging results were similar to the prior day's.

My favorite was this:

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

Oh, hi truck!

alcibiades, Isn't this the place where Autosteer is supposed to be best, Slow moving traffic with lots of targets around? I think it would make a commute in that sort of an environment more tolerable. I wonder if your car has a problem with one of it's sensors? I'm very surprised it's not centered in the lane at that speed and with markings and other cars that clearly places. I haven't driving our AP1 car in that sort of traffic, but on a normal freeway with light traffic, it has performed well.

When I tried 2017.28 out, it was on a nearby empty freeway, but at least under that condition, lane changes consistently happened with no hesitation *and* were perfectly smooth. I'd go so far as to say it was no worse than myself manually changing lanes normally.

Got the 2017.28 update yesterday and I don't notice a huge difference, a little less snappy, overall though it seems to be working great. I did have one problem on this than I did on the 17.26.76 version on a couple of lane change attempts, it did brake pretty hard before changing lanes for no apparent reason (no cars in front, no overpass).

I was more impressed with AP into the sunset. Before this update, AP driving into direct sunlight was problematic at best, I would only be able to utilize it for a few minutes before it would wack out and give me dancing lines and begin throwing me around. It is now pretty much flawless (kudos Tesla).

Off-divided highway is still a crap shoot though, the algorithm still seems to struggle with double yellow lines and I cannot stay engaged nearly as long on surface streets as I do freeway. It would appear that AP2 is getting close to being solid however.

alcibiades, Isn't this the place where Autosteer is supposed to be best, Slow moving traffic with lots of targets around? I think it would make a commute in that sort of an environment more tolerable. I wonder if your car has a problem with one of it's sensors? I'm very surprised it's not centered in the lane at that speed and with markings and other cars that clearly places. I haven't driving our AP1 car in that sort of traffic, but on a normal freeway with light traffic, it has performed well.
It used to do this pretty fine -- I don't remember this happening so frequently. But it seems that it has gotten worse with the updates, thus making me inclined to think it's more crappy software than a sensor issue.

That said, I've sent a bunch of images to [email protected] (I hope that is the right email. I'll call today to verify). If they think it's my car, I'm totally willing to take it in to be examined.

Maybe it is my imagination, but in these cases, it seems to take a hint from my steering wheel pressure - if I suggest left when it wants to go right, it frequently seems to take the hint and go my way. That could certainly be coincidence.
I had a similar experience. Hugging concrete divider in #1 of 3 lanes. Just nudged it a tad to the center of the lane and it centered (and stayed there) nicely.

Or in a center (of 3) lanes at a highway divide so you can go either left or right to another highway - seems a slight nudge without disengaging autosteer will give it the "suggestion" of which path to take properly. I do this on my morning commute daily and it works either way.

Not a solid data point - again, could be coincidence. Not sure if this is a real feature or not.