Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little surprised Tesla let the Bolt win in terms of range at the standard level, just from a hubris perspective. I expected 240+. But, the Bolt can't do 300+ but the M3 can. And, if you buy that version, Tesla will profit more.
I actually think it is good to leave a little bit of space for the Bolt. After all the mission is to accelerate the advent of sustainable energy.

Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

Read the Motor Trend review. That is investment advice.:)

Punch line: The Tesla Model 3 is here, and it is the most important vehicle of the century.

This is an extremely positive review. The Motor Trend reviewer sounds totally blown away by the handling and the whole package. May not move the SP in the short term but important in the long term IMO.

Here
And here it goes: as I predicted, the accolades start to pour in. Motor Trend:

And now - for comparisons:

Handshakes, then the red car silently whooshes out of sight around a corner, leaving a vacuum that’s instantly filling with questions: Have I ever driven a more startling small sedan? I haven’t. At speed, it gains a laser-alertness I haven’t encountered before. By happenstance, associate road test editor Erick Ayapana had penciled me into a 2.0-liter Alfa Romeo Giulia to get here, and it feels like a wet sponge by comparison.

"The ride is Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm, and quickly, I’m carving Stunt Road like a Sochi Olympics giant slalomer, micrometering my swipes at the apexes. I glance at Franz—this OK? “Go for it,” he nods. The Model 3 is so unexpected scalpel-like, I’m sputtering for adjectives.

Have I ever driven a more startling small sedan? I haven’t. At speed, it gains a laser-alertness I haven’t encountered before. By happenstance, associate road test editor Erick Ayapana had penciled me into a 2.0-liter Alfa Romeo Giulia to get here, and it feels like a wet sponge by comparison. "

It sounds like we have a winner.
At least somebody is selling the M3. Big time!

I'm going to guess that the stock is going to drop on Monday. The event was underwhelming.

It really feels like Tesla doesn't want to sell the Model 3, even though it's a good car. I understand they've been anti-selling, but it seems like they're taking it so far as to make me wonder if there are demand issues for the S and X.
Gotta say, I was disappointed overall in the event. Anyone else feel that way?

Let's think like shareholders rather than prospective Model 3 owners. Please keep in mind that with guaranteed Model 3 demand through late next year, this event was not going to provide everything expected from a sales presentation. For now the company needs to promote Models S & X to earn the income needed to accelerate the production of Model 3's.

I understand moving away from having the capacity as the defining model number as with the S/X. But not even mentioning it in the spec sheet signals that Tesla is not very confident about something. And I guess it's their base model that's the problem. Doing the math we are looking at a 53kWh car that is topping out with a max charging rate of 60kW. That does not leave a lot of room to better than the Bolt for long distance driving. It would no surprise me if the base 3 will eventually go the Model S40 way : produce some and then can it as soon as your larger models get traction.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: dennis and Matias
Ok, so if these credible reviewers rave about the M3, in effect selling it for Tesla, what does that do to Model S sales now? Anyone think that may be a problem for the next 6 months or so? Model X is obviously a totally different beast.
My feeling of just watching the event was I wanted to cancel my reservation and get a CPO S.

So glad to see the Motor Trend part posted on this thread. The more subjective the quality, the more the LA Times, WSJ, street.com, etc. will throw mud. Now we have such an emphatic take on ride and handling from a credible source.

(What’s blanching, though, is the car’s ride and handling. If anybody was expecting a typical boring electric sedan here, nope. The ride is Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm, and quickly, I’m carving Stunt Road like a Sochi Olympics giant slalomer, micrometering my swipes at the apexes. I glance at Franz—this OK? “Go for it,” he nods. The Model 3 is so unexpected scalpel-like, I’m sputtering for adjectives. The steering ratio is quick, the effort is light (for me), but there enough light tremble against your fingers to hear the cornering negotiations between Stunt Road and these 235/40R19 tires (Continental ProContact RX m+s’s). And to mention body roll is to have already said too much about it. Sure, that battery is low, way down under the floor. But unlike the aluminum Model S, the Tesla Model 3 is composed of steel, too, and this car’s glass ceiling can’t be helping the center of gravity’s height. Nearly-nil body roll? Magic, I’m telling you. Magic. And this is the single-motor, rear-wheel-drive starting point. The already boggled mind boggles further at the mention of Dual Motor and Ludicrous.)

Let's think like shareholders rather than prospective Model 3 owners. Please keep in mind that with guaranteed Model 3 demand through late next year, this event was not going to provide everything expected from a sales presentation. For now the company needs to promote Models S & X to earn the income needed to accelerate the production of Model 3's.
With my investor hat on I'm worried about production hell for the rest of this year and maybe Q 1 2018

The 'hype' aftermath from the initial unveil was created by EM himself. I'm disappointed that somewhere along the way, he didn't spend more effort readjusting expectations. Spaceship feel? Unveil Pt. 2? This was not an unveil.

I believe that they were smart in not loading up the 3 with new/great tech. Just bummed that he sounded a little like PT Barnum. Commence the dagger throws....
Here you go.

In all seriousness, yes, March last year was hyped up, but no one expected 500K reservations. Since then, Elon and Tesla have changed their message and tune. Those 500K+ folks unfortunately kept the hype going. Even I was guilty of it.

I don't know what trim level I will be able to afford, but this:

"Double wishbone, virtual steer axis front suspension with coil over twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar"​

Seals the deal. Nice job on all the stuff.

If they would make a Tupperware (lidded) bucket to match the recess in the trunk (it might hold a wetsuit). - I'll just use a bin.

Ok, so if these credible reviewers rave about the M3, in effect selling it for Tesla, what does that do to Model S sales now? Anyone think that may be a problem for the next 6 months or so? Model X is obviously a totally different beast.
  1. You can order/buy a Model S today, rather than wait for a couple of years for a Model 3.
  2. There will be sales to those who can afford an S/X but have held off due to concerns about Tesla's future viability if Model 3 failed or flopped

Status
Not open for further replies.