Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't shop at Costco. Just never needed to stock up on toilet paper 200 rolls at a time. I've never given Costco a second thought, until right this very moment. So, not common knowledge to me.

And here's the dilemma I now have. Do I believe you about mark up, or the other guy? Neither has provided any backup references or proof other than talking as if you're both authorities on the subject.

Just pointing that out.

Here's an article about Costco and their business strategy:
Costco’s Business Model Is Smarter Than You Think

The money paragraph is at the end:
The Bottom Line
Investors and analysts looking to Costco look at a company that doesn’t make a lot of profit but sells products like wildfire. How many retailers make the majority of their profit by selling the right to shop? How many retailers cap their margins to a bit over 10%, in addition to consistent loss leaders that drive customers into the store? How many retailers pay their staff, on average, over $40 000 per year, plus benefits? Costco has found it in its best interest to do all of this and, with the stock price and the number of stores worldwide continuing to increase, it’s clear that investors and consumers love Costco and its unique business model.

Read more: Costco’s Business Model Is Smarter Than You Think | Investopedia Costco’s Business Model Is Smarter Than You Think

Reading the article in full, I didn't find an explicit reference to an explicitly stated company intent of selling products at break even, with memberships representing the company's bottom line. However that is an idea I've encountered a few different times and it seems consistent with my own experience as a Costco member. Sidebar - even in a household of 2, we're finding our Costco membership valuable. We shop in much smaller quantities than most others checking out, but I've been pleased to how well Costco is doing at bringing in organic food options, as well as higher end / higher quality food options at the lowest prices I've seen.

On balance, I read this article as supporting the claim that Costco marks up the stuff it sells so that the business as a whole breaks even, with the membership revenues going to the bottom line as net profit.

5175mah would represent a chemistry (with perhaps some of that attributable to packaging) improvement of about 7.5%, pretty significant and better than I expected. A 100kWh S/X pack re-done with such cells would have a capacity of ~115kWh.
Packs made from the new cells will gain 7.5% from the height alone. Plus at least 5% from the new chemistry.

Can we please either stop posting about Costco or move the discussion to a dedicated thread?

Public Service Announcement

While I have not ever sold my long-term position, in a few weeks I am going to have significant (by my standards) additional funds to invest in TSLA. Because the stock has been on a tear prior to the arrival of those funds, I have developed a bad case of FOMO. So just now I purchased a Feb 17 $250 call. This means that the stock is very likely to enter a period of sideways movement for the next 42 days.

Thank you.

You mean EM offering Trump the job as COO??? I really wanted Wheeler for that position:rolleyes:

Well, that might actually help TSLA's bottom line because they can stop paying contractors for their work :rolleyes:

OMG this is brilliant. Elon offers Trump the Job of COO on the condition that he not take office. Trump, secretly realizing he is over his head, takes the job and says that in his new position he can directly bring good jobs back to America, thus saving face and America from his presidency!

(And Pence gets an ambassadorship to Fiji)

OMG this is brilliant. Elon offers Trump the Job of COO on the condition that he not take office. Trump, secretly realizing he is over his head, takes the job and says that in his new position he can directly bring good jobs back to America, thus saving face and America from his presidency!

Stop being silly! Fiji??!

• Funny
Reactions: SteveG3 and madodel
Mr. Jonas may - or may not - be correct, but he is wrong. That is, Mr Musk did NOT highlight...items such as stamping dies, as being "riskiest items".

Rather, Mr Musk very specifically said that those are the two remaining long lead items yet to be finalized; he also qualified that by saying "there are a lot of machine shops in the world" and that the six months remaining were sufficient to take care of that. He then said "If Schuler meets their timeline for bringing the stamping press in, then I feel pretty good about the schedule." Schuler is the manufacturer of the extant presses Tesla inherited from NUMMI as well - those monstrous Terminator-killers all of us have seen on tours or in videos.

Thanks for clarifying what Elon actually said. Interesting to see that Mr. Jonas suffers from confirmation bias.

It looks like you indirectly answered my questions. If Elon said that 6 months is sufficient to get the production dies in place, then there is no way that they would be used in creating the beta body panels. That means there must be another process for the beta panels. However they would still require some later pre-production examples to be built using the production stamping dies and press(es) in order to test the final fit and finish.

But then we've got Paul Ryan. Or since no deaths are involved do we have other options???

One of the best written, thoughtful articles I've read in a long time. (Other than posts here)

This Motor Industry Will Self-Destruct In... ?

Excellent article. Encouraging that Forbes published it, especially given the complimentary comments on Tesla and how hard hitting it is on the future of the traditional automakers if they don't change course.

One of the best written, thoughtful articles I've read in a long time. (Other than posts here)

This Motor Industry Will Self-Destruct In... ?

Brutal and poignant

"Has it never occurred to anybody in the automotive industry just how pathetic it is that an absolute beginner in the category such as Elon Musk has been able to manufacture the best car ever in an industry with decades and decades of experience? And what is more, that after having manufactured it, he has released his patents for use by any other company, and yet no rival has emerged to give him a run for his money?"

I didn't want to continue the Costco discussion into today but one last post.

Costco also gives 2% cash back on purchases with their executive $110 membership giving back 1/3-1/2 of membership fees back to customers as an incentive to shop more at Costco. Implicitly because they make money selling stuff. My annual membership fee is between $10 and -$20. My nephew is spending $850 on tires today at Costco using my card.

BTW No, no one needs to buy a 6 package pack of toilet paper. But it is cheaper and does not spoil so I do buy toilet paper at Costco. Charmin toilet paper pack is $4.40 off this month at Costco USA.

Tesla has historically reported earnings ~ 6 weeks after end of quarter. Last quarter (for the first time I can recall since I've been following them) they reported ~ 4 weeks after EoQ. I wonder if that was an anomaly or what we can expect going forward? Anyone have any insight as to whether we can expect earnings report before end of January or will we revert to the more traditional early February reporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.