Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Nissan Leaf - $29,990. 40kWh battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't paid that much attention, but our rated range hasn't changed on our '16 SV in the 1.5 years we've been driving it.

I think this $30k 151 mile LEAF is a MUCH better value than the Bolt. Not everyone needs a 240 mile city car, and 151 miles is overkill too, IMHO. Anything over 120 miles just adds peace of mind, from a typical commuter car perspective.

I think they'll sell quite a few of these.

• Disagree
Reactions: flankspeed8
Have not looked at all the details, but I like what I see so far. Especially with all the safety feature they have added. 150 miles a day is plenty for most people. If there is no price gouging going on at the dealer, you can get this car for less than $20k before fed tax expires. Could be a nice commuter for someone.
I leased two leafs before but got tired of battery losses every year. Hopefully Nissan was able to fix that issue.

This 2018 Leaf should mostly kill the Hyundai Ioniq Electric. For the same price, it has 25% more horsepower and 40% bigger battery, but about 25% higher EPA range. Efficiency won't be as high, but we're talking relative pennies here. The physical brakes in the Ioniq are apparently terrible too, as Car and Driver said it had "inexcusably long 194-foot stopping distance from 70 mph."

The original Leaf is still my trusty commuter car. After almost 6 years, the front and back seat ride comfort is better than my <1 yr old MS. IMHO, of course.

Even when the Model 3 seems a lot more futuristic than the 2018 Leaf.

Does either car have a blind spot monitor? Volvo and Mazda have perfected this key feature and even a sub-$20K Honda Civic seems to have it these days. This feature along with adaptive cruise control are high on my checklist.

Wayyyy better presentation and unveil than the Model 3. The Japanese know how to make a presentation. Felt like E3 or something.

Funny, I had the opposite reaction. Not that Musk is the most eloquent speaker, but he does tend to be direct and seems 'real.' The Leaf reveal went from a totally cringe-inducing translation of the CEO to a marketing guy that went on and on about things that don't exist outside of marketing/design speak (eg assertive flowing EV style, etc).

And I'm really not trying to knock the new Leaf. I think it's a solid update on the car I own and still enjoy, and that they will have some success given the relatively cheap entry point. I was just hoping for a bit more.

Funny, I had the opposite reaction. Not that Musk is the most eloquent speaker, but he does tend to be direct and seems 'real.' The Leaf reveal went from a totally cringe-inducing translation of the CEO to a marketing guy that went on and on about things that don't exist outside of marketing/design speak (eg assertive flowing EV style, etc).

And I'm really not trying to knock the new Leaf. I think it's a solid update on the car I own and still enjoy, and that they will have some success given the relatively cheap entry point. I was just hoping for a bit more.
I agree with you. I couldn't even finish watching the presentation. Plus, you don't need a really cool show when the car sells itself. Not much need for a showy presentation when you have 400,000+ reservations from just a basic feature listing.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I agree with you. I couldn't even finish watching the presentation. Plus, you don't need a really cool show when the car sells itself. Not much need for a showy presentation when you have 400,000+ reservations from just a basic feature listing.

Yeah but you got to admit the Model 3 event was beyond underwhelming. I'm not saying the leaf is better, I'd still get the Model 3. But when the Model 3 was the most hyped car, a car that is supposed to change the auto industry much like the iPhone did with the phone industry, you kind of expect a lavish inspirational presentation.

It seemed like the leaf was the one to be the ultimate game changer and they presented it that way. Thus I applaud them for doing so. I'd still buy the 3 though.

I can’t imagine home charging at 3kW though. That seems uselessly slow and ruins the Leaf
I agree that it's silly to continue selling EVs with only 3kW charging, mainly because it sort of ruins Level 2 destination charging. Even if you're spending three or four hours somewhere, you can't get anywhere near a full charge.

That said, home charging at 3kW has been fine for us. As long as one can "fill up" an EV overnight, which should be the case even with a 40kWh battery and 3kW charging, the actual charge rate usually doesn't matter at home.

If I were buying any LEAF, though, this would be a moot point. I'd consider a CHAdeMO charge port to be an essential option, for those occasions when there's an unexpected need to drive somewhere beyond the car's remaining charge, and I believe the 6kW charger always comes bundled with CHAdeMO.

Nissan is hinting at a NISMO variant.

OK Nissan, now I might take you seriously.

But for now, 8 seconds and 150 miles for $31k stripped? Better than before, but I'd be surprised if the US market was shaken by it. Globally, it will probably do very well.

Last edited:
I agree that it's silly to continue selling EVs with only 3kW charging, mainly because it sort of ruins Level 2 destination charging. Even if you're spending three or four hours somewhere, you can't get anywhere near a full charge.

That said, home charging at 3kW has been fine for us. As long as one can "fill up" an EV overnight, which should be the case even with a 40kWh battery and 3kW charging, the actual charge rate usually doesn't matter at home.

That's starting to get close, though. My current 30 kWh leaf @ 6.6 kW takes about 5 hours to go from zero to full. 40 kWh @ 3.3 kW would be what, close to 13 hours? Doable overnight, but if you ever need to top up during the day that's going to be difficult unless you stumble onto a CHAdeMO location.

Reactions: DurandalAI
If I were buying any LEAF, though, this would be a moot point. I'd consider a CHAdeMO charge port to be an essential option, for those occasions when there's an unexpected need to drive somewhere beyond the car's remaining charge, and I believe the 6kW charger always comes bundled with CHAdeMO.
This is very locale dependent. I have ChaDemo and 6 kW on our LEAF.

I have never QC'd and likely never will since the car is used for local commuting and no QC exist within 250 miles of my home. On the other hand 6 kW charging at home lets us not worry about the SoC since 30 minutes is enough to run an unexpected errand.

Yeah but you got to admit the Model 3 event was beyond underwhelming. I'm not saying the leaf is better, I'd still get the Model 3. But when the Model 3 was the most hyped car, a car that is supposed to change the auto industry much like the iPhone did with the phone industry, you kind of expect a lavish inspirational presentation.

It seemed like the leaf was the one to be the ultimate game changer and they presented it that way. Thus I applaud them for doing so. I'd still buy the 3 though.

I don't think Apple sold any mobile telephone before the iPhone. So no danger of osbourning own sales. Big difference.

The good news is that Model 3 is probably soooo good compared to the EV market references which Model S and X are today, that it scares the hell out of Tesla itself :).

And well done by Nissan. Looks a lot better than the current Leaf, and there seems to be some interesting technology in there as well. The more nice EV's the merrier.