Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not directly, but a weak signal will definitely slow down a download; and if it's weak enough (and the error rate high enough) it may never be able to successfully finish that download.

For sure. But two bars doesn’t mean it won’t download. My car usually has two from its parking spot, and it always gets updates in a timely fashion.

(also, it’s just not how software works, and there’s no good reason to explicitly stop it from downloading based on “bars”)

OK, maybe it's not tied to that. I just know that v2 SC's near me weren't showing the 150kW max until after I received the update to unlock that.

I had heard it was the same for V3/250kW, but maybe not....would be interesting to know.

Supercharger speed in the nav info is not tied to software version. I have 2019.16.2 and Fremont is showing as 250 kW.

I highly, highly doubt the WiFi signal strength (“number of bars”) has any impact at all on whether it will begin or continue an update download.
i've had the car since Jan'18 and the entire time i parked outside my garage where it maxed out at 2 bars, i NEVER got any update.

Then i went to Service center and they confirmed you needed at least 3 bars for it to start downloading.

I've been getting every update ever since parking inside the garage where i get 3 bars.

It might actually be the 200 kW profile for the European CCS. European 2019.20.1 release notes said up to 200 kW on CCS fast chargers. No cars in North America showed anything to do with charging on the release notes, but some users in NA have reported spikes up to ~250 kW on the V3 hardware with 2019.20.1.

it's confirmed, a few people have charged at fremont and gotten >200kW (Peak).

I was beta testing the V3 supercharger back in March as well and gotten well over 200kW, just have to come in at ~10-15%SOC to see the peak rate. it very quickly tapers off.
V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

Reactions: willow_hiller
My 2016 Model S 90D and every other Tesla I've driven does this (not sure on Model 3 though) when I was just getting acclimated it felt like an idling engine to me, coming from a Volt it was weird, but it fades away.
My 2013 Model S has that noise, which I thought was because it was an older car. Now the 3 does it as well, but only since the 16.2 SW update. I too am not sure if it's because I'm using the AC more now that it's hotter or if it's from a SW change.

With all the dumb things and different positions that the shorts come up with, I figured the dancing cars were shorts surrounding me to test Tesla's hazard evasion code.

... disappointed that they fixed this. Now I won't know who is after me.

I would give it at least a week before determining if an issue is indeed fixed. I don't get the dancing cars on the screen all of the time myself, so just going by how everything behaves within the first 24 hours of getting an update isn't a sufficient data set.

I would give it at least a week before determining if an issue is indeed fixed. I don't get the dancing cars on the screen all of the time myself, so just going by how everything behaves within the first 24 hours of getting an update isn't a sufficient data set.

I'm on 20.1 and had some dancing cars. The car on my left kept hip checking me. The issue seems to be more prominent when you are not parallel to the cars besides you.

More disturbingly, whenever my garage opens, there seems to be two pedestrians in the garage, As far as I am aware, we have no spirits but Jose Canseco used to live in my house so who knows what's gone down.

I'm on 20.1 and had some dancing cars. The car on my left kept hip checking me. The issue seems to be more prominent when you are not parallel to the cars besides you.

More disturbingly, whenever my garage opens, there seems to be two pedestrians in the garage, As far as I am aware, we have no spirits but Jose Canseco used to live in my house so who knows what's gone down.
This isn't getting enough love. Bash Brothers! (that recent Netflix thing was gold)