Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that on 16.2. Maybe it was a software thing, maybe it's just because weather around here is finally warm enough for the AC to matter. Tough to say which it is.
My 2016 Model S 90D and every other Tesla I've driven does this (not sure on Model 3 though) when I was just getting acclimated it felt like an idling engine to me, coming from a Volt it was weird, but it fades away.

...is it really only dog mode improvements like the release notes say?
No, 19.20.1 enables V3 Supercharging profiles that will reduce charging times on the Model 3...on today's prevalent V2 Superchargers. This is especially true for the MR and SR/+ cars as their ~121kW and ~105kW limits should be increased to as much as 150kW at low SoC.

Last edited:
I never, get update installs with 2 WiFi bars. I have to park in a slightly less normal spot however I get 4 bars there and it always goes right through. Could be a coincidence but it has been this way for me since getting the car in September of 2018.

No, 19.20.1 enables V3 Supercharging profiles that will reduce charging times on the Model 3...on today's prevalent V2 Superchargers. This is especially true for the MR and SR/+ cars as their ~121kW and ~105kW limits should be increased to as much as 150kW at low SoC.
It's weird they wouldn't include that in the release notes if true. Are you sure they updated the entire fleet with that version, not just SoCal people?

It's weird they wouldn't include that in the release notes if true. Are you sure they updated the entire fleet with that version, not just SoCal people?

It might actually be the 200 kW profile for the European CCS. European 2019.20.1 release notes said up to 200 kW on CCS fast chargers. No cars in North America showed anything to do with charging on the release notes, but some users in NA have reported spikes up to ~250 kW on the V3 hardware with 2019.20.1.

easiest way to tell:

Go into your nav and find the Fremont Supercharger. If it says 250kW max available, then your car is ready for it.

I'm on 20.1, and I knew from reddit to check that yesterday. It's there. Same principle applied when they rolled out the improved speed at V2 chargers. If it showed 150kW on your nav, you were good to go.

easiest way to tell:

Go into your nav and find the Fremont Supercharger. If it says 250kW max available, then your car is ready for it.

I'm on 20.1, and I knew from reddit to check that yesterday. It's there. Same principle applied when they rolled out the improved speed at V2 chargers. If it showed 150kW on your nav, you were good to go.
I'm on 2019.16.3.2 and Freemont shows as 250kW. Have not actually tried charging there yet to see effective rate.