Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird that I still have not received 2019.20.1 even though the update seems to have gone out to a lot of cars now. I guess it does not fit my configuration or location? I have July 2018 Model 3 LR RWD with EAP+FSD.

I'm aware of how to eject the drives. They are getting corrupted while still plugged in. The icon turns to an "X" randomly when the car is started. Has to be something to do with Sentry Mode.

Actually, AFAIK, there is no way to eject a USB drive from the Tesla; long-pressing the record icon simply causes recording to stop, but the device remains mounted. In theory, once the buffers flush, this should leave the drive in a more-or-less stable state, but it's not been fully ejected. At a minimum, the drive's "dirty bit" will be set. If the buffers are not flushed by the time you pull the drive out, filesystem damage can result. These comments are based on tests I've conducted; I've never succeeded in producing a drive that's completely "clean" -- the "dirty bit" is always set, and I frequently see minor filesystem damage, even after pressing the record icon to stop recording.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend performing a full filesystem check (with "dosfsck -a /dev/whatever" in Linux or a disk-repair tool in Windows or macOS), or create a fresh filesystem and new TeslaCam directory. I recommend doing this every time you pull the drive. There's no guarantee that this will fix the problem, but it might. It's also possible that your hardware is failing, and the symptoms just happened to coincide with the software update on the Tesla.

None of this is to say that an increased frequency of problems is not a Tesla software problem; they may well have changed something that's having the effect of making problems more common or severe. The above recommendations are simply suggestions of things you can do to mitigate problems, as well as additional things you can check in case it's not a Tesla software problem.

Just downloaded 2019.20.2.1 (not EAP). Added additional "Display Brightness" tweeks.

506012C3-F4C4-49E0-95D3-494347D1A2F4.jpeg
BAC864D9-0C5C-424C-B89C-340425923583.jpeg

Actually, AFAIK, there is no way to eject a USB drive from the Tesla; long-pressing the record icon simply causes recording to stop, but the device remains mounted.

I'm on older software because.. but I was able to make the camera icon go away, which I took to mean the USB drive was unmounted. I think it was long-press like you can do on the climate control fan and it brightens slightly then went away. Haven't done it in a while

Anyone seen any changes in the UI around Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance or resolution to the USB-sentry-mode fouls up everything bits?

Anyone seen any changes in the UI around Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
I hadn't experienced ELDA until this OS. It was shocking, but it also can be overcome. It's not like flying a 737 into the ground. You can pull the wheel and override what the computer is thinking. When I triggered ELDA it was a fair cop, I really wasn't paying attention and I wasn't driving with AutoPilot on. It really seemed cool to me for those who don't have AutoPilot. You may want to do your own driving, but you do have the hardware for the car to drive itself onboard, why not have it save your biscuit the one time you screw up.

I hadn't experienced ELDA until this OS. It was shocking, but it also can be overcome. It's not like flying a 737 into the ground. You can pull the wheel and override what the computer is thinking. When I triggered ELDA it was a fair cop, I really wasn't paying attention and I wasn't driving with AutoPilot on. It really seemed cool to me for those who don't have AutoPilot. You may want to do your own driving, but you do have the hardware for the car to drive itself onboard, why not have it save your biscuit the one time you screw up.
The ELDA force and appropriateness improved a lot with this update. In .16.2 it pushed a bit harder.

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985
interestingly (for me at least) starting with the 16.x releases, my car is uploading quite a lot of data (usually 10M or more) most evenings.
Occasionally it uploads 200-500M.
I'm guessing these are AP disengages and bug reports etc.
I'd love to know just out of interest, didn't even know it was happening until I replaced my home wifi with something that logs this stuff.
[edit]
just realized what it all is.
Its laid out in simple terms in the data sharing section in the car. Amazing what happens when you read those agreements :)

Last edited:
This release gave me a big improvement Autopilot handling of a left exit - an exit that you don’t want the AP to try to take.

I dumped the video to youtube, easy watch, trimmed to 18sec

Is it better now in general on how Tesla handles exits it should not take, especially on straight (not curved) roads? I constantly have issues with that on an earlier version, especially at higher speeds. Tesla will try to take a wrong exist, in 90% correcting itself a second later, and in 10% actually taking a wrong exit. This is especially bad when you have a car in front of you hiding the lane marking separating the lane you are driving in from an exit lane.

Is it better now in general on how Tesla handles exits it should not take, especially on straight (not curved) roads? I constantly have issues with that on an earlier version, especially on higher speeds. Tesla will try to take a wrong exist, in 90% correcting itself a second later, and in 10% actually taking a wrong exit. This is especially bad when you have a car in front of you hiding the lane marking separating the lane you are driving in from an exit lane.

It is especially bad in this case because the “exit” leads you across the median to a stop sign before crossing oncoming traffic. It could be a disaster if the AP took this one before the driver noticed.