Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also limits it to speed limit for TACC too.

It's a controversial decision for Tesla to make, but I think it shows they are committed to Autopilot as a safety mechanism. Regulators might actually start to see Autopilot as a tool to make roads safer.
hmm I haven’t tried this version yet, but I know the previous version didn’t limit speed when using TACC.

Just downloaded 2020/12.6 on my Model 3. Includes Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control. I'm not part of the early access program.

The early access version of this update is over - per Tesla.

Now that it's over......

It takes some getting used to. I find myself occasionally forgetting to press the accelerator to keep the car going through stop lights when they are green.

I also find myself being more aware of intersections when allowing the car to drive itself through intersections compared to when I would drive through them myself.

The car does a fantastic job of stopping before the RED crosswalk line when its first to the light.

Although the car does well stopping at stop signs in my area, there are few stop signs where I live where the lanes are properly marked enough to engage AP.

One thing I would improve on is the acceleration from a stop at either a light or a stop sign. It accelerates very slowly.

Another thing is that the car is strictly limited to the speed limit on streets. I find myself in danger of getting run over from behind on certain roads. I found myself trying to find out the speed limit on some streets where I now know - I've been speeding all of my life.

Lastly....I find that the car brakes much more abruptly than I do when coming up to a light or behind another car when braking. Or now that I think about it.....maybe the problem is that the car starts braking a lot later than I do.

Lastly again....I find that the car uses brakes when braking whereas I have gotten 100% used to 1 pedal driving using regen 100% of the time. I hardly ever hit the brake. I feel the brake pedal moving down when I rest my shoeless foot against the brake.

Lastly again and again. I love the car coming to a stop at a light or stop sign when coming off of an off ramp from the expressway. That's really cool.

I remember the current version of EAP or AP or FSD was getting complaints all over the place in the beginning, but now after 3 BILLION miles - there are not nearly as many complaints about it.

With that said...I believe that Its gonna take a while for all of the complaints about this feature to die down also.

It takes some getting used to, but I understand what its doing.

It doesn't drive like I do.....but its certainly a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
I think this was included for the early folks with enhanced autopilot but not the recent folks with included autopilot. You do have to have Hardware 3 autopilot I would assume though.

This doesn’t make sense. I have Enhanced Autopilot on my 2018 Model 3 with hardware 2. My wife has a 2019 Model 3 that came with base Autopilot included and she’s also on hardware 2. Therefore there are no cars with Enhanced Autopilot on hardware 3. Those cars would have had to upgrade to FSD to get hardware 3.

Yes that or Tesla is snow jobbing everyone about what the system can do. I'm not debating that it appears to tell the color of the light. Let's be real though and admit they are nowhere near being able to do this correctly instead of saying they are just being cautious.

QUOTE="diplomat33, post: 4639233, member: 63496"]Our cars can recognize the color of a traffic light. If you pay attention to the FSD visualization, you can see that it does indeed show the color of the light. But I suspect that Tesla is still working on getting it to 100% reliability. So to play it safe, this feature neuters that part and stops the car for every light by default and forces the driver to confirm when the light is green. That way, Tesla can use the driver inputs to further train the NN to make the feature more reliable.[/QUOTE]

Yes that or Tesla is snow jobbing everyone about what the system can do. I'm not debating that it appears to tell the color of the light. Let's be real though and admit they are nowhere near being able to do this correctly instead of saying they are just being cautious.

They are using our input data and comparing it to what the car would do. They then use this data to train the neural net. So yes, the car does know what is going on most of the time, but needs to be trained in all the different types of situations that could arise. No different then NOA when it was first pushed out. This is why Tesla’s lead in real world data will crush anyone trying to compete against them.

Hold on. If I update to 12.6 The car will only drive at the posted speed limit?

Please tell me I’m misunderstanding...is so the feature becomes useless in lots of situations.

If you update to 12.6 now then the car will only drive at the posted speed limit ON STREETS with AP on. Not on the highway.

Of course nothing changes when you are driving on your own.

Highway AP = no change.

QUOTE="diplomat33, post: 4639233, member: 63496"]Our cars can recognize the color of a traffic light. If you pay attention to the FSD visualization, you can see that it does indeed show the color of the light. But I suspect that Tesla is still working on getting it to 100% reliability. So to play it safe, this feature neuters that part and stops the car for every light by default and forces the driver to confirm when the light is green. That way, Tesla can use the driver inputs to further train the NN to make the feature more reliable.
[/QUOTE]

I've never had a failure with the car NOT recognizing the color of the lights.

If you update to 12.6 now then the car will only drive at the posted speed limit ON STREETS with AP on. Not on the highway.

Of course nothing changes when you are driving on your own.

Highway AP = no change.

I haven’t checked it, but I believe this is only true if you also choose to enable the beta stop sign and traffic light feature as well.

I expect that cars with 12.6 with that feature turned off will behave the same as cars with earlier firmware.

Reactions: MP3Mike