Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y LR Poor Mileage in real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up my 2023 model y LR and have driven it less than 400 miles (600km) but noticed it has really horrible mileage.

Two Instances:
  • I would go 10 miles (16km) in city driving and it would eat up 6% battery making the mileage 166 miles (270km) on full charge.
  • In another instance I drove it 40 miles (65km) and it used up 20%, making the mileage 200 miles (355km) on full charge.

The energy consumption menu states pretty normal ranges at 216 miles at 78% making it 277 miles (446km) at full charge. According to the other screens I am also using a lot of energy at lifetime 318Wh/mile (198wh/km).

Setup:
  • 2023 Model Y Long Range Dual Motor AWD
  • 20" induction wheels
  • 5 seater
  • Lithium Ion Battery (Not LFP)
  • British Columbia, Canada
Driving Environment:
I drive like a grandpa and have my profile set on "chill" plus I did not do any highway driving so all my miles are within 45 miles/h (70km/h). It also has not been very cold at around 44.6°F (7°C) ambient temperature and I like to set my cabin temperature at 70°F (21°C) with the driver seat heater at level 1. I also always start my ride at 85% battery since that is my charge limit. With all these factors I feel like the consumption is still insanely high.

Does anyone else have poor mileage: Does this warrant concerns? Should I take my Tesla in to examine given the novelty of the car and the fact that I want to point out any factory defects early on?

usage.jpgconsumption.jpg

Reactions: retbesla and HMHM
You are correct in that the Tesla Model Y will not usually achieve the EPA combined City/Highway range of 331 miles. This is amplified by it being winter when typically you will get 10 to 15 % less range than in summer driving. This is mostly due to the climate control system heat pump being used to warm the passenger cabin.

You can do some things to maximize your efficiency. Precondition (turn on the Climate Control via the Tesla app) starting ~10 minutes before you start to drive. Short drives are the least efficient and preconditioning while plugged in will warm up the passenger cabin and start to warm the battery (as required) without draining power from the battery (The energy used to precondition will come from the battery but it will be replenished about as fast as it is used as long as you are using 240V charging.)

Keep the tires inflated to the recommended 42 PSI.

A bicycle rack will reduce your range, same with a roof cargo carrier.

If your route involves significant elevation changes try not to carry any extra cargo unless needed.

Try setting the Climate Control to Auto (70F if comfortable.) Set Recirculate Cabin Air to be On and the Climate Control System will not have to work as hard to maintain a warm cabin. Set the driver's seat heater to Auto, also the steering wheel heater as the seat heaters and steering wheel heater use an insignificant amount of power compared with the Climate Control system.

I recently picked up my 2023 model y LR and have driven it less than 400 miles (600km) but noticed it has really horrible mileage.

Two Instances:
  • I would go 10 miles (16km) in city driving and it would eat up 6% battery making the mileage 166 miles (270km) on full charge.
  • In another instance I drove it 40 miles (65km) and it used up 20%, making the mileage 200 miles (355km) on full charge.

The energy consumption menu states pretty normal ranges at 216 miles at 78% making it 277 miles (446km) at full charge. According to the other screens I am also using a lot of energy at lifetime 318Wh/mile (198wh/km).

Setup:
  • 2023 Model Y Long Range Dual Motor AWD
  • 20" induction wheels
  • 5 seater
  • Lithium Ion Battery (Not LFP)
  • British Columbia, Canada
Driving Environment:
I drive like a grandpa and have my profile set on "chill" plus I did not do any highway driving so all my miles are within 45 miles/h (70km/h). It also has not been very cold at around 44.6°F (7°C) ambient temperature and I like to set my cabin temperature at 70°F (21°C) with the driver seat heater at level 1. I also always start my ride at 85% battery since that is my charge limit. With all these factors I feel like the consumption is still insanely high.

Does anyone else have poor mileage: Does this warrant concerns? Should I take my Tesla in to examine given the novelty of the car and the fact that I want to point out any factory defects early on?

View attachment 893847View attachment 893846

It doesn't look out of bounds for short trips in winter. Also it's not really fair to look at individual trips unless it's a round trip to the same location and altitude.

If you were to travel a long single trip on a heated battery you'd get better efficiency.

Try using lower cabin heating, higher seat heating.

You are correct in that the Tesla Model Y will not usually achieve the EPA combined City/Highway range of 331 miles. This is amplified by it being winter when typically you will get 10 to 15 % less range than in summer driving. This is mostly due to the climate control system heat pump being used to warm the passenger cabin.

You can do some things to maximize your efficiency. Precondition (turn on the Climate Control via the Tesla app) starting ~10 minutes before you start to drive. Short drives are the least efficient and preconditioning while plugged in will warm up the passenger cabin and start to warm the battery (as required) without draining power from the battery (The energy used to precondition will come from the battery but it will be replenished about as fast as it is used as long as you are using 240V charging.)

Keep the tires inflated to the recommended 42 PSI.

A bicycle rack will reduce your range, same with a roof cargo carrier.

If your route involves significant elevation changes try not to carry any extra cargo unless needed.

Try setting the Climate Control to Auto (70F if comfortable.) Set Recirculate Cabin Air to be On and the Climate Control System will not have to work as hard to maintain a warm cabin. Set the driver's seat heater to Auto, also the steering wheel heater as the seat heaters and steering wheel heater use an insignificant amount of power compared with the Climate Control system.
Great post: Unfortunately most of this was learned trial & observation on my Model Y. (1) Where is the recirculate cabin air button. I just looked and dont see it. I normally with leave my car on Auto at 18.5 C (65 F) for the winter and wear a jacket. (2) is there any data to support that the electric resistance seat heats will be more efficient than the heat pump blow air around especially if 4 people in vehicle ?

Great post: Unfortunately most of this was learned trial & observation on my Model Y. (1) Where is the recirculate cabin air button. I just looked and dont see it. I normally with leave my car on Auto at 18.5 C (65 F) for the winter and wear a jacket. (2) is there any data to support that the electric resistance seat heats will be more efficient than the heat pump blow air around especially if 4 people in vehicle ?
The Recirculate Cabin Air button is located on the Climate Control settings screen. It is on the same row as the Power, Auto and Fan Speed controls. There is also a voice command for "Recirculate" and "Fresh Air".

As far as power used by the heated seats and steering wheel know that these are low voltage accessories; the maximum load of all of the low voltage electronics including lights, HVAC blower motor, wipers, infotainment screen, rear defroster, power windows and seats, seat heaters and steering wheel heaters is less than 2kW. If all of the seat heaters are powered on, set to Medium or Hi (Hi setting would soon get uncomfortably warm) the load for theses heating units is probably between 500W and1kW. The Heat Pump is a high voltage, i.e. 360V variable speed design. The heat pump can draw upwards of 8kW when really cranking. The heated seats and steering wheel consume just a fraction of the power used by the heat pump. (Example: When plugged in and charging at 6kW when I run the Climate Control in my 2020 LRMY the effective charging rate is 1/3rd lower, takes 30% longer as 1/3rd of the 6kW (~2kW) is being used by the climate control and the driver's seat heater (the Climate Control, set to 71F, and the seat heater are set to Auto.) The heat pump can consume quite a bit of power when running; the seat heaters, steering wheel heater do not consume nearly as much power.

You should not turn off the Climate Control completely as it prevents the windows from fogging. If you can be comfortable with the Climate Control set to 18.5C (65F) while dressing warmly that appears to be a sound strategy.

The Recirculate Cabin Air button is located on the Climate Control settings screen. It is on the same row as the Power, Auto and Fan Speed controls. There is also a voice command for "Recirculate" and "Fresh Air".

As far as power used by the heated seats and steering wheel know that these are low voltage accessories; the maximum load of all of the low voltage electronics including lights, HVAC blower motor, wipers, infotainment screen, rear defroster, power windows and seats, seat heaters and steering wheel heaters is less than 2kW. If all of the seat heaters are powered on, set to Medium or Hi (Hi setting would soon get uncomfortably warm) the load for theses heating units is probably between 500W and1kW. The Heat Pump is a high voltage, i.e. 360V variable speed design. The heat pump can draw upwards of 8kW when really cranking. The heated seats and steering wheel consume just a fraction of the power used by the heat pump. (Example: When plugged in and charging at 6kW when I run the Climate Control in my 2020 LRMY the effective charging rate is 1/3rd lower, takes 30% longer as 1/3rd of the 6kW (~2kW) is being used by the climate control and the driver's seat heater (the Climate Control, set to 71F, and the seat heater are set to Auto.) The heat pump can consume quite a bit of power when running; the seat heaters, steering wheel heater do not consume nearly as much power.

You should not turn off the Climate Control completely as it prevents the windows from fogging. If you can be comfortable with the Climate Control set to 18.5C (65F) while dressing warmly that appears to be a sound strategy.
I will test it on my next trip - heated seats and lower than cabin temp to 16 C or something and get some passenger feed back. (I understand the air keeps the windows from fogging).

I will test it on my next trip - heated seats and lower than cabin temp to 16 C or something and get some passenger feed back. (I understand the air keeps the windows from fogging).
I think I got most the cold weather tricks figured out - tire pressure at 42, battery preheat and cabin pre-heat, drove the speed limit. Here is a recent trip where it was - 20 C (- 4F ). I drove 291 km (182 miles) and used 56 kWh or 86.7% of battery or 194 Wh/KM (310Wh/Mile).

I think I got most the cold weather tricks figured out - tire pressure at 42, battery preheat and cabin pre-heat, drove the speed limit. Here is a recent trip where it was - 20 C (- 4F ). I drove 291 km (182 miles) and used 56 kWh or 86.7% of battery or 194 Wh/KM (310Wh/Mile).
My lifetime efficiency is 265 Wh/mi; this winter the efficiency has been ~300Wh/mi to 320 Wh/mi; My 2020 LRMY is using ~20% more energy in winter. This is for local driving, short distances. I do precondition before driving for 5 to 10 minutes. (I almost never plug in at home because I am able to use free public Level 2 charging. I only precondition while plugged in at the end of what is usually a 1 hour and 30 minute to 1 hour and 45 minute charging session. These charging sessions are currently 10kWh, up from 8kWh in spring, summer and fall. (The parking garage where I am able to charge for free has 2 hour free parking.) In winter we have to expect that the Tesla Model Y driving efficiency will be ~20% less than in warmer temperatures.

Reactions: DrGriz
We get ~290 mile range on (mostly) highway road trips. Head wind, elevation change, temps, speed are factors. 290 is based on a round trip. 70 mph average. Setting autopilot helps by maintaining constant speed.
Super consistent. I consider this good, about 10% less than EPA rating.
Haven't paid close attention to city driving but your experience sounds about right.

EPA rating is ideal conditions. Every gas car I've owned got less than EPA mpg rating. I would imagine EV owners pay more attention to range than gas car owners.

We get ~290 mile range on (mostly) highway road trips. Head wind, elevation change, temps, speed are factors. 290 is based on a round trip. 70 mph average. Setting autopilot helps by maintaining constant speed.
Super consistent. I consider this good, about 10% less than EPA rating.
Haven't paid close attention to city driving but your experience sounds about right.

EPA rating is ideal conditions. Every gas car I've owned got less than EPA mpg rating. I would imagine EV owners pay more attention to range than gas car owners.
I don't know if I believe this. If it's true than you are certainly getting the best efficiency at 70 mph of any Tesla model Y on the forum.

Reactions: OTARon and gt2690b
I find I'm much happier and more relaxed since I stopped thinking about efficiency or looking at range, other than checking to see whether I have enough to get where I'm going-- at the same level of concern as checking the gas gauge when pulling out of the garage. Having done two long trips (one 1600 the other 650miles) since getting the car I find the mapped supercharger stops have worked perfectly, that I'm ready for a break by the time the car wants a charge, and that it's typically done charging by the time I've found a beverage and a bio-break. I just drive the car, charge when it tells me to, and life has been good. Just as I never wanted to fret about my trip to trip MPG and how it might have varied with temperature or speed I don't want to have to think about it in this car-- and so far it hasn't been necessary. It might be different if I lives where chargers were scarcer, but this side of the Mississippi it really doesn't seem to be an issue.