TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

3 year old took a rock and...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by mgrenk, Apr 13, 2017.

1. mgrenk

mgrenk Member

...made some art on my passenger rear quarter panel. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area (SF City specifically.) Any recommendations on a good paint shop? You can feel the scratches with your fingernail so it seems pretty deep. I want to avoid paying out the nose for this if possible and would love recommendations on ways to protect the car from kids in the future. I saw the Modesta nano stuff but don't have much experience. I have the front bra protection right now.

Thank you so much!!

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Just what color is it you're wishing to paint that 3-yo?

• Funny x 12
  3. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

I think he needs to "re-accommodate" that child into some expel wrap. Might prevent scratches on the car too... ;)

4. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

#4 SMAlset, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    A good detailer can take care of them if you don't want to go the body shop route. When we picked up our car we missed seeing on our passenger side a small chip at the rear wheel well edge and our detailer also found a scratch he said was kind of deep on our rear quarter panel. We were having our car fully wrapped after delivery (to minimize just that) and he took care of both for us before wrapping. Honestly I can't tell where the chip and scratch were now (and just took another look after seeing your post). Happy to recommend our detailers (SSCustoms) in Redwood City if you want to drive down the peninsula a bit. Top notch. Shareef and Alfonso took care of us and we were very pleased with the work and with the company. Nice group of guys. When I was there I saw one of the earliest MS around that looked like the front end portion was taken down to the metal and being prepped for paint and likely wrap or sealing of some kind so I know they do paint restoration as well as powder coating of wheels and calipers.

Here's their media sites if you want to call them to see if they can help. Full wrapping is an investment but for us we feel it was the right decision and will save us some grief down the road. SS Customs. If you want to see more cars they've worked on here's their Instagram and Facebook links: SS Customs (@ss_customs) • Instagram photos and videos ; SS Customs

• Helpful x 3
  5. mgrenk

mgrenk Member

Thank you very much friends! I am heading to SS Customs today. Had a good chat with Antonio. Hoping for the best!!

6. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Curious if they thought it was something they could do. Not sure how extensive of an "artwork" project your 3-yr old created on your car but if you have a photo of it I'm sure everyone would like to see how bad it was and then how it gets fixed. Good luck. I know I would be feeling a bit devastated whether it's an older car or new.

7. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

My 3 year old did the same on our much cheaper vehicle, though his tool of choice was a handheld garden cultivator, and his canvas the entire passenger side of the vehicle.

8. mgrenk

mgrenk Member

So the visit to SS Customs was great, the guys really know their stuff and there we're about 6 other Teslas there getting awesome modifications done. Gave me a lot of ideas! Antonio said he could probably get about 60% of it out with paint correction but the deeper spots would still show. I'm going to have them spray the quarter panel and it's about 1/2 to 1/3 one of the certified body shops quoted me. Plus I will be putting some protective wrap over both sides as it is a prime 5 and 3 year old height zone for banging up with things they drag in, opening doors too fast and slamming against walls, etc. I'll definitely do some wheel curb rash fixing and chrome deletes in the future once I have some spare money. Great experience though. Here is the before pic, my appointment is mid May so will have an update after.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

It's too bad the HW2 Model S/X doesn't have a "Get off my lawn mode"

Where they use the cameras around the car to detect kids, and then if one is too close it yells at them to bugger off.

• Like x 1
  10. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

Ouch! That felt like a punch in the gut just to look at - glad to hear you've got some experts on it. I'm still trying to preemptively get over the first scar on my car, whenever it may happen. It's just a thing... but the love is real! :);)

11. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Glad to hear you had a positive experience and they can help you out. It's fun place to visit though isn't it! unfortunately not for the reason you were there....yikes that looked worse than I had pictured. big wide strokes! Time to invest in some canvas and art lessons already I guess. Look forward to hearing back in May when the work is done. Happy to have been able to help with a referral.

12. mgrenk

mgrenk Member

All done! Looks brand new!

Attached Files:

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  13. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

That's pretty amazing work. Kudos to the detailer...

14. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Your kid's name isn't Basquiat, by chance? Have you any idea what you ju$t de$troyed? :)

• Funny x 1
  15. Jack007

Jack007 Member

Stop having little poop monsters, better for the enviornment

• Disagree x 1
  16. Joelc

Joelc Member

Just spent 30 minutes going through their Instagram page. Looks like they do some amazing work, especially on Teslas.
    I might be going down for a visit soon.

• Like x 1
  17. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

This rant will probably do no good, but:

Please don't say "rear quarter panel" because quarter panel is the term for the side rear of the car. There are no quarter panels in the front. The term may have derived from ships where the quarterdeck is aft and the area of the sea aft and to the side is referred to as either the starboard quarter or port quarter.

Oh, and BTW, there is also no "front windshield" because windshields are always in the front.

And while I'm at it, here's my money-saving tip of the day. Don't waste money buying a hot water heater. If you already have hot water, then there is no reason to heat it. :)

Rant over, thank you.

• Funny x 7
  18. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

#18 SMAlset, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Hubby was just asking me the other day about that guy with the scribbling on the car. Really glad to hear it worked out and wow, you'd never know from your photo what had happened. Thanks for the update and I'll share the photo with him. Did you end up with Xpel as well?

Just today we couldn't avoid running over some debris, well missed hitting some of it but not all and heard it hit the front and go under the car. Haven't checked it out completely but he said it looks just like a smudge underneath where it hit. Just glad it didn't fly higher and test out the hood with the Xpel. Not really sure what we hit might have been some trim from a car. Have to check the blackvue later.

BTW there's a great car wash just down the street from them you might want to check out Eco Green Auto Clean. It's a bit of a drive for us but we're going to try to make it there at least once a month. Cool cars using their service too. They do car wash/detailing and also sell their products for home use.
    https://www.ecogreenautoclean.com
    Facebook - Eco Green Auto Clean

19. David99

David99 Active Member

Can anyone recommend a detailer in Orange County that can do this kind of work?

20. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

THAT is a hanging offense!!

• Disagree x 1