Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 year old took a rock and...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...made some art on my passenger rear quarter panel. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area (SF City specifically.) Any recommendations on a good paint shop? You can feel the scratches with your fingernail so it seems pretty deep. I want to avoid paying out the nose for this if possible and would love recommendations on ways to protect the car from kids in the future. I saw the Modesta nano stuff but don't have much experience. I have the front bra protection right now.

Thank you so much!!

A good detailer can take care of them if you don't want to go the body shop route. When we picked up our car we missed seeing on our passenger side a small chip at the rear wheel well edge and our detailer also found a scratch he said was kind of deep on our rear quarter panel. We were having our car fully wrapped after delivery (to minimize just that) and he took care of both for us before wrapping. Honestly I can't tell where the chip and scratch were now (and just took another look after seeing your post). Happy to recommend our detailers (SSCustoms) in Redwood City if you want to drive down the peninsula a bit. Top notch. Shareef and Alfonso took care of us and we were very pleased with the work and with the company. Nice group of guys. When I was there I saw one of the earliest MS around that looked like the front end portion was taken down to the metal and being prepped for paint and likely wrap or sealing of some kind so I know they do paint restoration as well as powder coating of wheels and calipers.

Here's their media sites if you want to call them to see if they can help. Full wrapping is an investment but for us we feel it was the right decision and will save us some grief down the road. SS Customs. If you want to see more cars they've worked on here's their Instagram and Facebook links: SS Customs (@ss_customs) • Instagram photos and videos ; SS Customs

Last edited:
Curious if they thought it was something they could do. Not sure how extensive of an "artwork" project your 3-yr old created on your car but if you have a photo of it I'm sure everyone would like to see how bad it was and then how it gets fixed. Good luck. I know I would be feeling a bit devastated whether it's an older car or new.

So the visit to SS Customs was great, the guys really know their stuff and there we're about 6 other Teslas there getting awesome modifications done. Gave me a lot of ideas! Antonio said he could probably get about 60% of it out with paint correction but the deeper spots would still show. I'm going to have them spray the quarter panel and it's about 1/2 to 1/3 one of the certified body shops quoted me. Plus I will be putting some protective wrap over both sides as it is a prime 5 and 3 year old height zone for banging up with things they drag in, opening doors too fast and slamming against walls, etc. I'll definitely do some wheel curb rash fixing and chrome deletes in the future once I have some spare money. Great experience though. Here is the before pic, my appointment is mid May so will have an update after.

Attachments

• IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Informative
Reactions: Joelc and mblakele
Glad to hear you had a positive experience and they can help you out. It's fun place to visit though isn't it! unfortunately not for the reason you were there....yikes that looked worse than I had pictured. big wide strokes! Time to invest in some canvas and art lessons already I guess. Look forward to hearing back in May when the work is done. Happy to have been able to help with a referral.

A good detailer can take care of them if you don't want to go the body shop route. When we picked up our car we missed seeing on our passenger side a small chip at the rear wheel well edge and our detailer also found a scratch he said was kind of deep on our rear quarter panel. We were having our car fully wrapped after delivery (to minimize just that) and he took care of both for us before wrapping. Honestly I can't tell where the chip and scratch were now (and just took another look after seeing your post). Happy to recommend our detailers (SSCustoms) in Redwood City if you want to drive down the peninsula a bit. Top notch. Shareef and Alfonso took care of us and we were very pleased with the work and with the company. Nice group of guys. When I was there I saw one of the earliest MS around that looked like the front end portion was taken down to the metal and being prepped for paint and likely wrap or sealing of some kind so I know they do paint restoration as well as powder coating of wheels and calipers.

Here's their media sites if you want to call them to see if they can help. Full wrapping is an investment but for us we feel it was the right decision and will save us some grief down the road. SS Customs. If you want to see more cars they've worked on here's their Instagram and Facebook links: SS Customs (@ss_customs) • Instagram photos and videos ; SS Customs
Just spent 30 minutes going through their Instagram page. Looks like they do some amazing work, especially on Teslas.
I might be going down for a visit soon.

Reactions: SMAlset
This rant will probably do no good, but:

Please don't say "rear quarter panel" because quarter panel is the term for the side rear of the car. There are no quarter panels in the front. The term may have derived from ships where the quarterdeck is aft and the area of the sea aft and to the side is referred to as either the starboard quarter or port quarter.

Oh, and BTW, there is also no "front windshield" because windshields are always in the front.

And while I'm at it, here's my money-saving tip of the day. Don't waste money buying a hot water heater. If you already have hot water, then there is no reason to heat it. :)

Rant over, thank you.

All done! Looks brand new!

Hubby was just asking me the other day about that guy with the scribbling on the car. Really glad to hear it worked out and wow, you'd never know from your photo what had happened. Thanks for the update and I'll share the photo with him. Did you end up with Xpel as well?

Just today we couldn't avoid running over some debris, well missed hitting some of it but not all and heard it hit the front and go under the car. Haven't checked it out completely but he said it looks just like a smudge underneath where it hit. Just glad it didn't fly higher and test out the hood with the Xpel. Not really sure what we hit might have been some trim from a car. Have to check the blackvue later.

BTW there's a great car wash just down the street from them you might want to check out Eco Green Auto Clean. It's a bit of a drive for us but we're going to try to make it there at least once a month. Cool cars using their service too. They do car wash/detailing and also sell their products for home use.
https://www.ecogreenautoclean.com
Facebook - Eco Green Auto Clean

Last edited:
So the visit to SS Customs was great, the guys really know their stuff and there we're about 6 other Teslas there getting awesome modifications done. Gave me a lot of ideas! Antonio said he could probably get about 60% of it out with paint correction but the deeper spots would still show. I'm going to have them spray the quarter panel and it's about 1/2 to 1/3 one of the certified body shops quoted me. Plus I will be putting some protective wrap over both sides as it is a prime 5 and 3 year old height zone for banging up with things they drag in, opening doors too fast and slamming against walls, etc. I'll definitely do some wheel curb rash fixing and chrome deletes in the future once I have some spare money. Great experience though. Here is the before pic, my appointment is mid May so will have an update after.
THAT is a hanging offense!!

• Disagree
Reactions: Dublin 'Eer