Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D and 200 miles range does not seem possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get how the 60D rated range could be 200 miles. If the Wh/miles is the same as the 75D (same motors and same battery only limited by software so I would imagine same weight) which is 316 Wh/miles (75 kwh/316 Wh/miles = 237 miles) then the 60D would have a max range of 60kWh/316Wh/mil= 189 miles. The math does not work out the advertised 200 miles.
BTW when the 70D was available in the design studio the rated range was 220 miles that works out if you do 70kWh/316Wh/mil = 221 miles. Not sure what is going on with the 60D, maybe smaller and more efficient motors.

The range for the Model X 60D is an EPA estimate ... YMMV :cool:

upload_2016-7-13_12-21-25.png

Last edited:
So I'll start by saying that this is pure speculation on my part. 200 Miles has been a magic number quoted by Elon Musk a number of times. I would guess that the 60D "software limit" is actually greater than 60kWh, in order to meet this 200 mile number. If that is indeed the case, then new X60D owners are getting a bit of a bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: randy1077 and Johan
Slow down 5mph and all will be well.

Remember the speed at which the 200-mile estimate is offered.

If you live in, say, Utah, and the speed limit is 80mph and your commute is all highway at 85mph, your practical range will likely be less than 200 miles, unless the commute is downhill both ways.

On the other hand, if you live in Brentwood, commute to El Segundo, and have an unnatural attachment to the 405 during rush hour, then your practical range will be Absolutely Fabulous because Teslas do very well at 25mph.

So I'll start by saying that this is pure speculation on my part. 200 Miles has been a magic number quoted by Elon Musk a number of times. I would guess that the 60D "software limit" is actually greater than 60kWh, in order to meet this 200 mile number. If that is indeed the case, then new X60D owners are getting a bit of a bonus.

That makes a lot of sense. Sounds nicer than 63.5D.

Reactions: Super_Popular
Would that also mean charge rate to "max" would not be decreased since you are not actually topping it off?

Yes. Much less taper. The 60 really is a sweet deal in so many ways. Just charge to 100% all the time, use a little more time charging on road trips but in every other sense you got yourself a 75.

After 16K Miles in my S70D, the average is 329Wh. My average driving is commute at 50mph 45min not very heavy traffic. For S60D that would come to 182miles range on full charge and with a margin of 36miles I would say about 145miles on a charge.

For my X90D, the average after 5K miles of mostly highway long road trip is 349Wh. That computes to 172miles range on full charge. Keep 35miles for safety and you are down to 135miles on a full charge. That's barely enough for two days of daily commute and definitely unsuitable for road trips as superchargers are at least 150miles apart.