Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took it for a run on the M7 and M2. Fantastic! This is the stuff we dreamed about when I was kid in the late 60's early 70's and now it's here and I've got it. Given the date, it's Christmas 2 months early. Those of you that want to bang on and go on about Elon and the company and how it's run, why not sell the Tesla and go and buy a VW instead? Then you'll really have something to moan about.

Just took it for a run on the M7 and M2. Fantastic! This is the stuff we dreamed about when I was kid in the late 60's early 70's and now it's here and I've got it. Given the date, it's Christmas 2 months early. Those of you that want to bang on and go on about Elon and the company and how it's run, why not sell the Tesla and go and buy a VW instead? Then you'll really have something to moan about.
The problem is not that the company (or Elon) are the worst; it's just they could be better and criticism is the only way of saying this.

Basically, the car is amazing and the company could be a little better on the customer side.

If you read the Ashley Vance biography of Musk where the author extensively interviewed dozens of people, you will see that your statements are incorrect.
Glad you took my bet. I look forward to my US$1,000 Christmas present from Down Under in 2025.
If you accept the Tesla History According To Musk this would be true.

It is not. Musk stumped up some cash at one stage in the company's development and then took the company for himself, discarding many along the way. His helicopter changes to the Roadster nearly killed the company before even the Roadster hit production. His management style of blaming everyone else but himself for problems he created is wearing thin with even us very forgiving early adopters.

The company now faces massive cashflow problems due to the debacle in China (1000s of built and unsold cars) and masses of Model X cancellations.

Bet taken. I will be delighted if I lose as it will be a pyrrhic victory.

Autopilot was waiting for me to install when I woke up this morning. All working as promised and Tesla, once again, instantly forgiven for the delay. The question that I had lurking in my mind about autosteer has been answered - no it does not get confused by Melbourne's ubiquitous tram tracks. Not that I would ever use it on a road with tram tracks of course....

Oh, and I agree about the album issue. FIX THE RDIO PLAYER TESLA!!! Seriously, it would be about 1 millionth of the engineering effort of what they've just done.

Autopilot was waiting for me to install when I woke up this morning. All working as promised and Tesla, once again, instantly forgiven for the delay. The question that I had lurking in my mind about autosteer has been answered - no it does not get confused by Melbourne's ubiquitous tram tracks. Not that I would ever use it on a road with tram tracks of course....

Oh, and I agree about the album issue. FIX THE RDIO PLAYER TESLA!!! Seriously, it would be about 1 millionth of the engineering effort of what they've just done.
Due next is a major update of the UI, so I'd suggest the rdio issue will be resolved or not resolved in that update.

Just done a run to Palm beach and back and along MONA Vale road. MONA Vale was pretty good. The auto steer works ok. Had to take over a few times especially at intersections as it wanted to steer into the median. Lane change worked very well, no issues. Even took the corner into Forest way well, but there was very heavy traffic. Had to take manual control. The TACC is better and handles cut ins much better. Also think I have got more power on launch. Practically, auto steer is for long distance travel. Not really suited to the urban environment. Quite a freaky feeling letting the car steer for you. Some of the twists and turns on MONA Vale were really good. The car handled it well. Wife hates all this though....

Last edited:
The problem is not that the company (or Elon) are the worst; it's just they could be better and criticism is the only way of saying this.

Basically, the car is amazing and the company could be a little better on the customer side.

I don't disagree with you there, but there's a difference between constructive criticism and hyperbole.

Which other car company comes out to your garage at 6AM on Sunday to install major new functionality in your car?

Those of you that want to bang on and go on about Elon and the company and how it's run, why not sell the Tesla and go and buy a VW instead?

My last comment on this (off) topic before I go back to lurking.

The car is great. I do not wish to sell the car. It is by far the best car I have ever owned.

The company, however, is problematic. Right now there is no competitor for Tesla, so they can get away with a lot. When there is a competitor, then the company will fall on its own sword unless it changes its policy of dishonesty and secrecy. If the company fails, we all lose.

They don't need to exaggerate or lie about the car's capabilities to sell more than they can make....so why do they exaggerate and lie?

Why state 691hp for the P85D when it isn't? It still takes off like a rocket from the lights leaving you grinning from ear to ear every time. So what if its less...unless you're lying in the specifications. Stop doing that, Tesla.

Why state for a year that auto-steer existed in the present tense when it didn't? It exists now and is fantastic! Tesla didn't need to lie about that.

Why state exaggerated range figures? The car has plenty of range as is. Tesla doesn't need to fudge these figures. My normal charge is 350km. Nothing wrong with that as a range, so why exaggerate and claim 500km when that is basically unobtainable in real life?

Why attempt to eviscerate Top Gear when everyone knows it's just 3 lads mucking about?

Why attempt to discredit Broder when he shows up the range deficiencies of the car and how hard it is to find a supercharger you haven't been to before? Funny how the exact problems he highlighted have now been addressed.

Why suddenly backpedal on Supercharger usage policy and tell people off for doing exactly what you promised they could do when they bought the car?

Why is it every time someone highlights a deficiency of the car Tesla/Elon jumps all over them and accuses them of dishonesty when it is they who are dishonest. "You're using it wrong" just doesn't cut it as an excuse when a car fails to perform as specified.

End of rant. Back to enjoying our new auto-pilot features.

- - - Updated - - -

Which other car company comes out to your garage at 6AM on Sunday to install major new functionality in your car?

Which other car company sells you a car described as having 4 wheels, delivers it with 2 wheels installed but charges full price for it regardless and then a year later comes out to your garage at 6AM on Sunday to install the 2 additional wheels you've already paid for?

(End rant. Really. Truly this time. I promise).

I've just driven from Wodonga to Canberra on the Hume Highway with v7. I used the auto steer most of the way. My experience is that it generally worked well and made the trip much easier.

On a dual carriage way it is a big plus and it seems to me should enhance safe travel. However, it is not perfect yet. You still have to pay attention to avoid those dead roos and a few times (very few) it seemed to lose track of the lanes which required quick intervention. Potential problem spots seemed to be where there were entry or exit lanes to the highway and when coming up to the crest of a hill.

From time to time when auto steer was engaged, a message appeared asking me to hold the wheel. If you don't, it beeps. If you still don't, it beeps a lot. If you still don't after that, the car starts to slow down. In these situations, it doesn't seem to be enough to just rest your hands on the steering wheel; you gotta really let it know you're there. Maybe it should allow a voice command instead. Perhaps you should be able to say something like "don't worry [insert your car's name] - I'm still here and paying attention". :smile:

Last edited:
I've just driven from Wodonga to Canberra on the Hume Highway with v7. I used the auto steer most of the way. My experience is that it generally worked well and made the trip much easier.

On a dual carriage way it is a big plus and it seems to me should enhance safe travel. However, it is not perfect. You still have to pay attention to avoid those dead roos and a few times (very few) it seemed to lose track of the lanes which required quick intervention. Potential problem spots seemed to be where there were entry or exit lanes to the highway and when coming up to the crest of a hill.

From time to time when auto steer was engaged, a message appeared asking me to hold the wheel. If you don't, it beeps. If you still don't, it beeps a lot. If you still don't after that, the car starts to slow down. In these situations, it doesn't seem to be enough to just rest your hands on the steering wheel; you gotta really let it know you're there. Maybe it should allow a voice command instead. Perhaps you should be able to say something like "don't worry [insert your car's name] - I'm still here and paying attention". :smile:

Voice or other interaction wouldn't really be enough with Tesla's approach, as it's not an arbitrary nag but a real indication that the car has low confidence in the projected path and may require you to take over quickly (unless the newer build we've received has changed that from the release version). You want to have your hands on the wheel when it thinks that :)

Voice or other interaction wouldn't really be enough with Tesla's approach, as it's not an arbitrary nag but a real indication that the car has low confidence in the projected path and may require you to take over quickly (unless the newer build we've received has changed that from the release version). You want to have your hands on the wheel when it thinks that :)

Yes quite right; I was just kidding. I had a fantasy of being able to converse with the car, like in that 1980s TV show.

Last edited:

On a dual carriage way it is a big plus and it seems to me should enhance safe travel. However, it is not perfect. You still have to pay attention to avoid those dead roos and a few times (very few) it seemed to lose track of the lanes which required quick intervention. Potential problem spots seemed to be where there were entry or exit lanes to the highway and when coming up to the crest of a hill.

I don't expect this system to be flawless and handle every road and every situation at the first attempt. In my opinion, tesla have a solid foundation now to evolve the system into a future mobility that will be safer and more relaxing. Having around 50,000 international beta testers will advance that rapidly.

I don't expect this system to be flawless and handle every road and every situation at the first attempt. In my opinion, tesla have a solid foundation now to evolve the system into a future mobility that will be safer and more relaxing. Having around 50,000 international beta testers will advance that rapidly.
It will be really interesting to see if the car learns Australian roads; it seems to me that we still don't know exactly what constitutes "system learning" by the Model S- does data input by a US car change the behaviour of an Australian car?? Or will our system learn much more slowly, given the small numbers driving around here??? How much of the car's learning is GPS-based???
The thread in the Model S forum about Autopilot self-improvements over its first week of US release is really one of the most remarkable examples of technology-in-action that I have ever seen. At first I could hardly believe it, but pretty much everyone is saying the same thing: Autopilot was pretty rough at first, now it's really good. Maybe excellent. Astonishing.

I just did a trip from Perth to Mandurah and back - about a 140km round trip. Rang mum on the way down to let her know that the car was driving me down to see her and she thought I was joking. At first I found myself fighting the autosteer since it drives a bit too close to the centre lane for my liking, but once I stopped being freaked out it was fine. A few spots with roadworks I took over but other than that it didn't ask me to hold the wheel through freeway cruising, light rain and a bit of stop start traffic.

I wonder how long until complacency kicks in and the first lot of accidents happen from people falling asleep or generally not paying attention.

Off topic, Mandurah foreshore was packed due to the Mandurah Children's festival. Carparks overflowing and traffic crawling down the road on the lookout for an elusive parking spot. I was impressed that the EV charging bays were left empty by the ICE cars and I was able to park and charge using the RAC Electric Highway charging spot while we went for a coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news, I read multiple complaints on the lack of a time or temp display on the dash in V7, but mine has both. Is this a change?

I just did a trip from Perth to Mandurah and back - about a 140km round trip. Rang mum on the way down to let her know that the car was driving me down to see her and she thought I was joking. At first I found myself fighting the autosteer since it drives a bit too close to the centre lane for my liking, but once I stopped being freaked out it was fine. A few spots with roadworks I took over but other than that it didn't ask me to hold the wheel through freeway cruising, light rain and a bit of stop start traffic.

I wonder how long until complacency kicks in and the first lot of accidents happen from people falling asleep or generally not paying attention.

Off topic, Mandurah foreshore was packed due to the Mandurah Children's festival. Carparks overflowing and traffic crawling down the road on the lookout for an elusive parking spot. I was impressed that the EV charging bays were left empty by the ICE cars and I was able to park and charge using the RAC Electric Highway charging spot while we went for a coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news, I read multiple complaints on the lack of a time or temp display on the dash in V7, but mine has both. Is this a change?
the time and temp applies to the latest build. They have it in Europe too. The clock app is a waste of space since it is just that, a clock. Nothing else. My guess is the USA will also revert at the next update.

In other news, I have just written to service help asking that tire pressures be displayed in Kpa as per the sticker on the door jamb, and which is the convention for tyre pressures as per my mechanical engineer daughter. Suggest as many as possible write in as numbers have more clout.

I have just arrived home from the southern highlands after installing 7.0 earlier this morning.
I trialled it on secondary roads before the freeway at it seemed reluctant to engage steering assist as most of the roads only had centre lines. Once on the freeway it was happy to engage steering assist and worked really well. Like Ztrekus I discovered that I seem to hog the right hand side of the lane and it felt uncomfortable as the car would insist on a centre lane position. I kept it on until the M5 tunnel as traffic was thick and I had been cut off too many times to leave it to the computer, albeit the car handled these situations quite well. Colour me impressed.
One tip for using auto lane changing is to just keep a finger on the bottom of the steering wheel adjacent to the lowest spoke, this seems enough for the car to execute the lane change.