Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 Beta Testers - constructive suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This! This!

Though I'm not sure it's who's last, I thought it's which phone it detects first.

Maybe it does, I'm still trying to figure this out... So the wife drives it alone, the system is locked onto her phone. She gets home, the next time we leave together and I'm driving, I have to go through and make it connect to my phone since it'll connect to hers first in this scenario far more often than not.

Jeff

Maybe it does, I'm still trying to figure this out... So the wife drives it alone, the system is locked onto her phone. She gets home, the next time we leave together and I'm driving, I have to go through and make it connect to my phone since it'll connect to hers first in this scenario far more often than not.

Jeff

Maybe you're right, I'm not exactly sure how the pairing works. Sometimes it pairs to my phone, sometimes it pairs to my wife's phone, and it's usually who the car sees first, but maybe if it sees both, then it depends on who was driving last.

Maybe you're right, I'm not exactly sure how the pairing works. Sometimes it pairs to my phone, sometimes it pairs to my wife's phone, and it's usually who the car sees first, but maybe if it sees both, then it depends on who was driving last.
If the car sees one phone before the other it uses that one. If it sees both at the same time, it prioritizes the last one that was connected.

Overall it's a horrible implementation for many reasons. First because a $20 headset can easily handle multiple phones at once, so I'd expect my $100,000 car to do the same. Secondly because if you absolutely have to use only one phone at a time, it should be tied to the driver's profile to decide which one, and third, because even if you couldn't do that either, you should be able to at least provide a way to select a "default" phone on the interface that it should try to connect to first.

If the car sees one phone before the other it uses that one. If it sees both at the same time, it prioritizes the last one that was connected.

Overall it's a horrible implementation for many reasons. First because a $20 headset can easily handle multiple phones at once, so I'd expect my $100,000 car to do the same. Secondly because if you absolutely have to use only one phone at a time, it should be tied to the driver's profile to decide which one, and third, because even if you couldn't do that either, you should be able to at least provide a way to select a "default" phone on the interface that it should try to connect to first.

Agreed. My Bluetooth aftermarket speaker in my 4Runner handles my personal and work cell just fine, connecting to both simultaneously and letting either have a call (but only one at once over Bluetooth to my knowledge). Meanwhile, in the Tesla, I had to turn off Bluetooth on the work phone unless I have a conference call while driving b/c sometimes it would connect to that one instead.

I agree with almost all the points Scaesare has pointed out. I especially miss the 3-00 and 6 on the power meter as 300 is what you shoot for, and without it power meter is somewhat useless.
As far as bluetooth hookup to phone ,only have one paired and it sometimes it has to be cycled on off to work.

Some changes to 7.0 that need to be implemented is in charging. I like the way 7.0 works on warming the car using the app, very quick while plugged in.

However, in cold weather, it is nearly impossible to warm the battery and you will drive 50 miles before getting full regeneration braking and 20 miles before full power is available. In extreme cold you may never get rid of the yellow dashes. Why is it you can plugin your ICE and warm it to operating conditions and you can't a electric car.
Another cold weather problem, say you charge to 220 miles range and don't drive for a day you may only have 205 miles of range. The charger fails to maintain set charge. At some point it will bring it back to set charge again, not sure how low it goes before this happens.

I find the new skeuomorphic design to look cheap and cartoonish. Looks like a Fisher Price toy to me. But I understand that this is the new style. I just don't happen to like it. I still don't even know WTF skeuomorphic means!!! And I am too cranky to look it up!

Skeuomorphic is when a graphic is designed to look like a physical counterpart, like a knob or button, to help it look more familiar to people who have used the previous technology. For example, an on-screen keyboard, where each key is a graphical representation of an old typewriter, complete with shadows and a fake-3D effect. Or, an RPM (or energy meter) designed to look like an analog display.

I pretty much agree with all your other points. And, I too, have grown to like the car display. It looks like it'll be even more useful in 7.1 with different images for trucks, cars, and motorcycles. Plus, we'll see all the cars around us, as opposed to just the one in front. It should give excellent situational awareness. It sounds like it'll look more like some of the original Autopilot presentation images:

397_tesla_autopilot.jpg

Jeff
I live in the cave and don't have a cell phone.:wink: I rather the profile be linked to the key fob, if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the point of this comment? Have you ever worked in retail? If there are no customers to assist then what exactly do you want them to do? Sit and stare at the wall???

Jeff

To the question to AmpedRealtor about his point...How about their boss tells them to grab a broom, clean a window, wipe a counter. Why? Because our company is seriously short of developers and service center personnel and you guys are excess baggage.

My suggestions/requests (not in priority order):
1. Larger fonts and bolder lines in the instrument cluster display. Someone else asked for better contrast. Same problem -- the 7.0 displays are too difficult to read, especially secondary text and some of the lines. A good example is the trips display -- some text is just not readable. (My eyes were tested yesterday and with my glasses they are 20/20.) Previous display was superior. Part of this is that the screen elements were also made smaller. I am not sure that was necessary. (I have seen similar trends in magazine design, too -- seems to reflect current design fashion.)
2. Time and outside temperature on the instrument cluster in some area that is always present. And yes, I do use the analog clock display and I do know it has the temperature, so that serves, but sometimes I use other apps instead and miss the time/temp.
3. I agree with the several comments to the effect that the previous energy display in the instrument cluster was superior and provided more useful information. (This comment is also affected by the comments in (1) above about the screen elements being made too small and hard to read.)
4. Navigation -- I agree with others' comments that it should have waypoints. Otherwise I have (so far) found it to be quite good. My one compliant is that occasionally the spoken directions come a bit late, but I have also experienced that on expensive later-model Garmin GPS, so maybe it is just a difficult problem....
5. Climate control -- I would really, really like more ability to control the climate control system from the Android phone app. I'd especially like to be able to turn on the defrosters (both) -- it gets cold and icy here!

And one comment about the "Skeuomorphic" design. The definition given above by MarkS22, if I interpreted it correctly, suggested to me that the new design should have elements that look 3-D (i.e., like a physical device), but I find the opposite is true. The old design had 3-D effects that, for example, made the climate controls look like actual switches, but now the display is flat. Personally, I also thought the new design looked amateurish and initially I preferred the older more 3-D design. But now, after a few weeks, I am indifferent -- it does not matter. I do not notice the switch shape or lack thereof. So I suggest the (apparently) scarce resources not be spent on "looks" so much as on function, visibility and usability, not on what is or isn't fashionable.

Another cold weather problem, say you charge to 220 miles range and don't drive for a day you may only have 205 miles of range. The charger fails to maintain set charge. At some point it will bring it back to set charge again, not sure how low it goes before this happens.

Yes, I've noticed the same. If I leave my car plugged in and have it set to say, 200 Miles range, it will charge to that and then the cold weather, or dare I bring back the term "vampire drain" will continue to lower it until I unplug the charger and plug it back in again. I haven't left it like that for more than a day or so, maybe the car has a timer that checks every week and brings it back up to the desired charge? It would be nice to know what that timer is set for!

- - - Updated - - -

I.. I'd expect my $100,000 car to do the same. Secondly because if you absolutely have to use only one phone at a time, it should be tied to the driver's profile to decide which one, and third, because even if you couldn't do that either, you should be able to at least provide a way to select a "default" phone on the interface that it should try to connect to first.

YES - I second the emotion and the logic in that statement - More things should be tied to the Drivers's profile, because it is the Driver that is the most important person in the car.. Or maybe Tesla just figures auto-pilot will replace the driver, so why bother? :tongue:

I recently charged at the Dublin, CA store and for over an hour. I witnessed six Tesla employees trying on Tesla jackets as if they were customers. They also stood around the front desk talking to each other about where they were going to party in San Francisco that night. Unbelievable! You'd think they would have something to do other than yak with each other and try on clothes.

Seems like working at some Tesla locations is a free ride.

All I could think of when I read this, was how back in the 80s, it would take sometimes an hour or more for code to compile. Which meant the sw engineering team (hey stevezzz) would play stupid games, drink coffee, tell jokes ... and the administrative staff would look at us with complete disgust, along with snarky mumbled comments like, 'I'd sure like to get paid for doing nothing'.

My point is that you caught this team of employees during one point only. A snapshot of their week. For all we know, they'd worked crazy hours on an event, dealt with a bunch of nutty customers (surely no one here :) ), or whatever. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

And one comment about the "Skeuomorphic" design. The definition given above by MarkS22, if I interpreted it correctly, suggested to me that the new design should have elements that look 3-D (i.e., like a physical device), but I find the opposite is true. The old design had 3-D effects that, for example, made the climate controls look like actual switches, but now the display is flat. Personally, I also thought the new design looked amateurish and initially I preferred the older more 3-D design. But now, after a few weeks, I am indifferent -- it does not matter. I do not notice the switch shape or lack thereof. So I suggest the (apparently) scarce resources not be spent on "looks" so much as on function, visibility and usability, not on what is or isn't fashionable.

Correct... I think he may have meant the opposite. If anything, UI 7.0 actually moved further away from skeuomorphic. Not that it was high on the skeuomorphic side in 6.0, but you could argue the energy meter was closer to a traditional analog car RPM meter. Apple got a lot of attention for removing skeuomorphic design elements. For a quick visual overview, you can see http://www.buzzfeed.com/saraboboltz...gn-and-the-fate-of-the-skeuom-af7c#.nqYgXL9G5

The point is that such immature behavior by employees and management sends the wrong message to owners and stock holders.

I think we have a tendency to put Tesla employees on a pedestal due to the nature of the company and expect more out of them as a result. I for one, have no issues with the behavior you described so long as there weren't waiting customers which doesn't seem like that was the case. I'll acknowledge that you disagree and simply move on. :)

Jeff

All I could think of when I read this, was how back in the 80s, it would take sometimes an hour or more for code to compile. Which meant the sw engineering team (hey stevezzz) would play stupid games, drink coffee, tell jokes ... and the administrative staff would look at us with complete disgust, along with snarky mumbled comments like, 'I'd sure like to get paid for doing nothing'.
My juggling skills (and yoyo skills) improved dramatically during the late 90s for this reason.

My point is that you caught this team of employees during one point only. A snapshot of their week. For all we know, they'd worked crazy hours on an event, dealt with a bunch of nutty customers (surely no one here :) ), or whatever. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Bonnie, you're the biggest optimist (a good thing) and always looking at things for the right reasons. I don't know how you do it? I'm usually assuming bad things. I wish I could change but I'm pretty set in my ways. I applaud your "sunny side up" disposition. :love:

Yes, I've noticed the same. If I leave my car plugged in and have it set to say, 200 Miles range, it will charge to that and then the cold weather, or dare I bring back the term "vampire drain" will continue to lower it until I unplug the charger and plug it back in again. I haven't left it like that for more than a day or so, maybe the car has a timer that checks every week and brings it back up to the desired charge? It would be nice to know what that timer is set for!

I believe when plugged in and not in use the car will charge back to whatever charge level you have set every two days.