Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option - trial? Feedback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd add it to our 2023 MY LR coming from lots of Tesla Performance variants. The reality is that the acceleration of that vehicle for our purpose was fine. I didn't want to spend the $2k even though I spent WAY more than that for lesser performance gains in decades past.

I had referral credits when we bought our 2024 MY LR and already had plenty of Supercharging miles on our account. I saw that AB was now an option and decided to use points on that since it was the only option available (at that time) that could potentially add any real world value upon resale. It also added a noticeable performance boost that we'll get the use of every time we drive it.

The real question though is would I hand over real money ($2k USD here) for the same thing. The answer is a rather worthless "I don't know" in our case. Reason for that is my wife drives the car mostly and isn't much of a speed junky the way I am. When I do drive it it's mostly putting around town to garage sales or whatever errands we're running so I'm not mashing the accelerator.

When I do though, I'd say it's noticeable. Most noticeable when already at speed which is the area the LR struggles most with. From that perspective, it's a worthy add on if it's within your budget. Something you'll get enjoyment from during ownership and will be able to recoup a fair amount of the value during resale.

I don't drive it often enough to justify the expense. I'm not sure we'd pay real dollars for it but it's a killer add for what is effectively free.

Reactions: VipinLJ
Whether it's worth it or not is totally up to the driver, we can't tell if it's worth it for you. I have paid for it on my LR AWD model 3 and I love it. Sure I would have preferred to pay less but the power is definitely there, at all speeds.
It's the same thing for the performance model vs AWD... It wasn't worth it for you because you didn't buy it but some people do.

There is another option at 1/2 the price. I owned a MY back in 2020 so things may be different today. I felt that the MY was artificially limited on takeoff performance. When it gets rolling I often felt that it has a bit more power. A friend of ours did the A/B upgrade. It felt that the artificially limited takeoff was removed and had much better acceleration. When you get above 60mph you could not tell much in performance with the upgrade compared to the non upgrade vehicle.

I bought it for my LRAWD 3, for me definitely noticeable when you first get it. You will get used to it over time and not feel the difference any longer. But it's still there doing it's job. I will also say that the power comes on very linear and is just as smooth as a vehicle without Acceleration Boost, not something you can often say about performance upgrades in ICE vehicles. I decided from my personal experience it was a much better purchase than FSD.

Hi all - keen to know who of you have gone for the $3,000 AUD boost acceleration option in your Model Y and what you thoughts are?
Is there a 'trial' option or do I need to drop $3k AUD and see how it goes? Seems a bit of a risk imho.

Wondering if this is a worthy upgrade or not...
I paid $2000 US for it last year right after buying mr 23 LR. I wanted the acceleration of the P model, but not the wheels, tires, worse ride quality, lower ride height or insurance cost. The LR with AB is still slower than P, but not by much. Having spent a lifetime modifying gas cars for more performance, it felt like a bargain at $2000 US. Never have I gotten so much more power for so little money and its completely warranty safe. A 0-60 reduction of a half second for a car that is already sub-5 seconds to 60 is quite noticeable. It's a completely unnecessary upgrade of course, the LR model is fast without AB and easily outruns traffic.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Mike728
I also got it free with referral credits. I could tell the difference, it's definitely faster acceleration... but on a car that's already accelerates so quickly. Wouldn't pay $2k for it.

There's *sort of* a free trial... you can buy it and then request a refund within 48 hours (it says so in the car where you buy upgrades). The refund is a one-time courtesy.

Also, while I wouldn't value it at $2k, I've read more than a few posters say that to get the same comparable performance boost on an ICE vehicle would cost *much* more.
With the advent of turbocharged cars you can now gain a lot of power for very cheap.

My Golf R I had before the Model 3 can be tuned with similar gains as acceleration boost for like $500.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
There’s no trial.

I thought it was quite noticeable on our Model Y. Bought with loyalty credits, would have never paid US$2k cash.

Technically no BUT you can add it then cancel it a day or so after for a full refund, but they will only allow that once and in the US ( not sure for overseas like the OP )

I got my Acceleration boost with referral points and its worth about that, would i be happy to pay $2000 us for it, def not lol

Reactions: father_of_6