Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@rainforest I'm assuming that it will simply make reaching the EPA range easier, but that the indicated mileage won't change.
If that were true, Tesla would be facing a class action law suit for false advertising the range of the smaller capacity pack.

More likely, the max charge is locked at the lower capacity battery pack, and will be unlockable as part of a performance upgrade, which would degrade the total lifespan of the larger battery if utilized.

Yea, at the end of the day, I'm happy enough to get whichever I get. But then my delivery window is 18 - 30 June, so fingers crossed.

It might be more realistic to assume that until NHTSA actually signs off on the headlight regulations, Tesla is not going to ship them in the US.
They’re already on all new US Model 3’s and MYP

Yea, at the end of the day, I'm happy enough to get whichever I get. But then my delivery window is 18 - 30 June, so fingers crossed.

It might be more realistic to assume that until NHTSA actually signs off on the headlight regulations, Tesla is not going to ship them in the US.
Functionally, there isn't much different between the new lights and "old" lights at this time. All the cool potential feature (shown as examples) are from European brand like Audi, BMW, ect, which are not available for US market anyway.

They’re already on all new US Model 3’s and MYP
And as has already been throughly discussed, the Model 3 is exported which is why they get the new headlights that can use those features. So the US cars get them as a bonus, it is not a sign they are coming to MY. The MYP is likely because it is a premium vehicle and probably has more similarities to the M3P in its wiring so it gets the carryover as well.

And as has already been throughly discussed, the Model 3 is exported which is why they get the new headlights that can use those features. So the US cars get them as a bonus, it is not a sign they are coming to MY. The MYP is likely because it is a premium vehicle and probably has more similarities to the M3P in its wiring so it gets the carryover as well.
Interesting theory 😆

Quick question, when referring to the “new” 82kwh battery, is that the same 4680 cell that was referenced at battery day?
No, no cars currently have those yet. Its just a slightly higher capacity, probably figure out how to squeeze in a few more cells with the new gigapress rear end.

Actually, just read an article stating Panasonic figured out how to increase energy density of the existing 2170 cell batteries. Increased about 5% vs original 2170

My theory is that Tesla produced fewer MYs in Q1 than they anticipated (due to chip shortage impacts maybe, not demand problems), and they want to get their stockpile of gen 1 lights down to a certain level before relegating the remainder to replacement part inventory.

We’d previously heard that Tesla expected to fully transition to the new headlights in Q1, and obviously that didn’t happen.

Reactions: MIK3
My theory is that Tesla produced fewer MYs in Q1 than they anticipated (due to chip shortage impacts maybe, not demand problems), and they want to get their stockpile of gen 1 lights down to a certain level before relegating the remainder to replacement part inventory.

We’d previously heard that Tesla expected to fully transition to the new headlights in Q1, and obviously that didn’t happen.
That's a reasonable theory.

Another is that there is now a yet-newer headlight design coming "very soon" (per this posted article and its Korea IT News source article ), and Tesla doesn't want to switch MYLR production to the projector lights, which would create a short-lived intermediate build version.

Yet another is that there have been ongoing supply challenges over the past few quarters. These issues may have directly affected the availability of the projector lights and/or associated components, or indirectly delayed the switchover as Tesla procurement and logistics personnel are busy grappling with more serious problems.

Reactions: MIK3