Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You didn’t switch out your old style light for a new light that didn’t come with the car. Therefore the software update will be coded for your old style light so it will Work after the next update. It is only when you swap in non stock parts that the next update will brick them. If you don’t want an update to brick a part, call Tesla and ask to buy the part from them and have them install it. In this case, Tesla WILL NOT sell you the global lights, install them and update your car software so they work. Even if you offer to pay full price for parts and labor, they WILL NOT do this ever, unless it becomes a legal issue (all headlights have to be matrix which will NEVER happen in the US).
I understand your point and it is correct. But what makes you so certain that Tesla won't help? I read a report of a guy who switched out his old-style center console for a new-style center console and found out it also needed a software "registry" update. Tesla DID help him to get it done to a success.
Also, there is the Motor Vehicle Owners' Right to Repair Act

Last edited:
They are not obligated to "repair" something which was working fine until you removed it and replaced it with a part not meant for your vehicle. I am also certain they won't help because once they do this for one person, then everyone will want it done. They operate repair centers, not aftermarket upgrade centers. Try this with any other automaker, they won't do it. They want you to buy the upgrade package at purchase. Decided not to opt for navigation because you didn't want the other 5 items in the option package? They don't offer the service to bring your car in and have certain parts upgraded. It would defeat having the option as part of a package in the first place.

As far as the center console, has it been confirmed that it still works after further updates? As I mentioned before, someone convinced a mobile tech to turn on the footwell lights in his M3 after they were working and then disabled by a later software update. They worked until the next software update and then were disabled again.

Big thanks to hchu0304 for trying this out. I have a couple questions:

1. You mentioned the harness is the same. Are there the same number of pins/leads in both sets of headlights? Sometimes the plastic harness is the same, but the connection contacts are different.
2. There are no additional connectors on the new headlights, correct?
3. You mentioned they did not turn on, did you try all the functions (high/low beams, turn signal, etc)?
4. Were there any error messages that popped up when you tried to turn on the headlights?

Thanks again!

Big thanks to hchu0304 for trying this out. I have a couple questions:

1. You mentioned the harness is the same. Are there the same number of pins/leads in both sets of headlights? Sometimes the plastic harness is the same, but the connection contacts are different.
2. There are no additional connectors on the new headlights, correct?
3. You mentioned they did not turn on, did you try all the functions (high/low beams, turn signal, etc)?
4. Were there any error messages that popped up when you tried to turn on the headlights?

Thanks again!
@brettjson

1) Yes same amount of pins are on both headlights, I can see three pins on both headlights
2) Correct, No additional connectors to the headlights
3) Yes I tried all function, I started with hazard/turn signal, then parking lights then finally headlights
4) No error messages when the headlight is turned on

I don't know if this is relevant or not but I remember randomly talking to a person at the Supercharger and he told me recently had a Tesla tech came out to install a new heated steering wheel because he bought the heat option on his SR+. He said the tech told him it will not work right away and he would need to wait for the next update in order for it to work. Im thinking when the next update is out, I would install the new headlights before then have the car detect the new headlights. Again im just thinking outside the box, If what he's saying is true about the steering wheel (unfortunately I don't have his contact to confirm), I would assume this can be a possibility/solution

Reactions: dyau and eesmjus
@brettjson

1) Yes same amount of pins are on both headlights, I can see three pins on both headlights
2) Correct, No additional connectors to the headlights
3) Yes I tried all function, I started with hazard/turn signal, then parking lights then finally headlights
4) No error messages when the headlight is turned on

I don't know if this is relevant or not but I remember randomly talking to a person at the Supercharger and he told me recently had a Tesla tech came out to install a new heated steering wheel because he bought the heat option on his SR+. He said the tech told him it will not work right away and he would need to wait for the next update in order for it to work. Im thinking when the next update is out, I would install the new headlights before then have the car detect the new headlights. Again im just thinking outside the box, If what he's saying is true about the steering wheel (unfortunately I don't have his contact to confirm), I would assume this can be a possibility/solution
following this line of logic....i am assuming you have tried all the various ways to restart/reset the car with the new lights plugged in already right?

@hchu0304 did mobile service end up helping you with the install?
I actually went to the service center not mobile service. I talked to the tech and he said he will check for me. His initial input was that it should be the same. I picked up my car today but he had already left. I will check with him tomorrow and update. On the side note, I did see Tesla charges $195 an hour for labor (in Southern California) at least.

Reactions: Platini and eesmjus
I actually went to the service center not mobile service. I talked to the tech and he said he will check for me. His initial input was that it should be the same. I picked up my car today but he had already left. I will check with him tomorrow and update. On the side note, I did see Tesla charges $195 an hour for labor (in Southern California) at least.
Tesla charges in 6 minutes increments. Someone else mentioned he was charged for 30 minutes for a software update.

Reactions: hchu0304
Got to finally talk with the tech. He did confirm the harness is the same between pre and post. The only thing that comes down to is the software. Based on that service center/location their response was they are not able to update it. Not sure if this is something I would need the service tech come out to do instead. Suggestions?

Reactions: dyau and eesmjus
Got to finally talk with the tech. He did confirm the harness is the same between pre and post. The only thing that comes down to is the software. Based on that service center/location their response was they are not able to update it. Not sure if this is something I would need the service tech come out to do instead. Suggestions?
@hchu0304 thank you for updating us this past weeks. Think i'm gonna purchase these new headlights from SC and hold on to them. Seems like only issue left is software.

Should be similar price as the old ones, I will report once I placed an order.
Some else reported (maybe in M3 forum or maybe earlier in this thread) that they had an accident replacement and were invoiced $2100 ea or something equally outrageous. I think we talked about 5x the current pricing when we discussed what it would cost Tesla to switch headlights to all adaptive for MYs. If there wasn't a cost issue then there is no reason to not switch. But adding a significant amount per vehicle does not make stance from a business sense if they aren't required or it doesn't ease production.

So are you thinking - If you buy them direct from Tesla, then they should also apply the software to activate them on your car?
This only applies if your car originally came with them. Just because you can buy parts from them doesn’t mean they will install them and make them work. For instance, my SR+ M3 doesn’t have premium sound. Yet I can buy the subwoofer and enclosure from aTesla and put in my car and then take to them and say it’s not working. They won’t mKe it work. Same for the various speakers that aren’t activated.