Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone for the Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who traded up to model 3 from an Ioniq Electric I like what I see. My car was top of the range and had all the available toys.
My move was to get a car with better range. At 130 miles, the Ioniq was great locally but anything else was a pain. The only other downside was that lane keep was dreadful.
Smart cruise was excellent as was speed limiter. Aircon front seats were also a joy. On short trips (4miles return to the supermarket) it would run on fumes, something the M3 can’t compete with. Since the M3 has shed loads of range I don’t care!
Over the last 20 years, choosing the right ICE was a nightmare with so much choice. Buying an EV in 20 years time is going to be so much worse. So many toys...

We use our EVs to their ability. Our Nissan Leaf is used for 100 mile or less journeys. It has 50,000 miles from 3 years use. Had Covid not interfered with movement our Nissan would be around 75-80k miles now

Our Tesla is on 13K from 2 years

But 45k for a Hyundai? What will be the depreciation like in 2 years time?

Probably a bit worse than a Tesla Model 3.

According to Auto Express, they reckon that the Hyundai Kona electric loses about 50% in the first three years, so the Ioniq 5 will probably be similar, perhaps a bit less if the performance is better than that of the Kona. For comparison, Auto Express reckon that the Tesla Model 3 SR+ loses 44% and the Model 3 LR AWD loses 40% over the first three years.

I’m not a fan of the design. It looks bulky, trying to rip off cyber truck with the sharp edges but lots of aesthetic real estate with no purpose. The screens inside look like something off the Nintendo switch and seem too small by comparison to Tesla’s. Screens are built into the dashboard which feels old fashioned. Then lots of buttons below the screen for climate control- nothing modern or novel about this. Feels cluttered. Really underwhelmed. I was genuinely hoping Hyundai would push the envelope with the Ioniq 5 knowing full well that any car that cannot drive itself in the next 5 years will be obsolete if trying to compete with Tesla so would have to be extraordinary. Extraordinary it is not. Tesla has nothing to worry about.

• Funny
Reactions: firewire
I’m not a fan of the design. It looks bulky, trying to rip off cyber truck with the sharp edges but lots of aesthetic real estate with no purpose. The screens inside look like something off the Nintendo switch and seem too small by comparison to Tesla’s. Screens are built into the dashboard which feels old fashioned. Then lots of buttons below the screen for climate control- nothing modern or novel about this. Feels cluttered. Really underwhelmed. I was genuinely hoping Hyundai would push the envelope with the Ioniq 5 knowing full well that any car that cannot drive itself in the next 5 years will be obsolete if trying to compete with Tesla so would have to be extraordinary. Extraordinary it is not. Tesla has nothing to worry about.

Given that the Project 45 concept car this is based on was revealed at Frankfurt before the CT reveal, it seems impossible that Hyundai could have "ripped off" the CT design. Also, given that the design is based on the 45 year old Hyundai Pony design, it seems pretty clear that they were not in any way influenced by Tesla, and anyway, Hyundai aren't really Tesla competitors in any way shape or form, are they?

I doubt that anyone in the market for a Tesla, even the bottom of the range SR+, would consider buying a Hyundai, the cars are aimed at very different markets. Hyundai will sell loads of them in their market space, I'm sure, just as Tesla sell loads in their market space. Until Tesla bring out the cheaper Model E, I doubt they will be bothered, and the Model E looks to be a fair way away yet, as it's not even been officially acknowledged, AFAIK.

As for the screens, the big screen and lack of conventional controls is a mixed blessing in the Model 3. It looks fantastic, but trying to use it when driving, especially if you're not left handed, isn't as easy as it might seem. It's OK when stationary, but, for example, trying to turn the wipers on or off, or adjust the speed, at night, when driving down a windy road, is so challenging that I find the only safe thing to do most of the time is pull over and stop to make the change. It's not just me, either. I've noticed that touch controls in other cars are being picked up by several reviewers now as being harder to use in some circumstances than conventional controls. Balancing the fantastic design that Tesla have come up with for the Model 3 interior, with ease of use for everyone, in every possible driving condition, looks to be a pretty stiff challenge.

My next car won't be the Ioniq 5, as I'm not sold on the design, although some of the features, like the AC mains power outlets, seem brilliant. My next car won't be another Tesla, either. The Model 3 has scratched the itch I had to own one, but after 15 months of ownership some of the practical, day to day things that are just really irritating, mean I'm not going to get another one.

Given that the Project 45 concept car this is based on was revealed at Frankfurt before the CT reveal, it seems impossible that Hyundai could have "ripped off" the CT design. Also, given that the design is based on the 45 year old Hyundai Pony design, it seems pretty clear that they were not in any way influenced by Tesla, and anyway, Hyundai aren't really Tesla competitors in any way shape or form, are they?

I doubt that anyone in the market for a Tesla, even the bottom of the range SR+, would consider buying a Hyundai, the cars are aimed at very different markets. Hyundai will sell loads of them in their market space, I'm sure, just as Tesla sell loads in their market space. Until Tesla bring out the cheaper Model E, I doubt they will be bothered, and the Model E looks to be a fair way away yet, as it's not even been officially acknowledged, AFAIK.

As for the screens, the big screen and lack of conventional controls is a mixed blessing in the Model 3. It looks fantastic, but trying to use it when driving, especially if you're not left handed, isn't as easy as it might seem. It's OK when stationary, but, for example, trying to turn the wipers on or off, or adjust the speed, at night, when driving down a windy road, is so challenging that I find the only safe thing to do most of the time is pull over and stop to make the change. It's not just me, either. I've noticed that touch controls in other cars are being picked up by several reviewers now as being harder to use in some circumstances than conventional controls. Balancing the fantastic design that Tesla have come up with for the Model 3 interior, with ease of use for everyone, in every possible driving condition, looks to be a pretty stiff challenge.

My next car won't be the Ioniq 5, as I'm not sold on the design, although some of the features, like the AC mains power outlets, seem brilliant. My next car won't be another Tesla, either. The Model 3 has scratched the itch I had to own one, but after 15 months of ownership some of the practical, day to day things that are just really irritating, mean I'm not going to get another one.

I feel pretty much the same. I really enjoyed having a Tesla, but I doubt my next car will be one. Some things are extremely irritating. Can’t put my finger on the main annoyance. Maybe it’s when you pick it up. The arrogance is quite outstanding. I’ve been pretty lucky, but some people being told to put up or shut up about blatant faults isn’t cool. On a plus side, Tesla has convinced that electric is now, and I won’t go back to petrol. This ioniq is ace! I will take a look at the i4 later this year. I feel I might be getting comfortable with life without superchargers in the near future.

Aesthetics is a personal thing. Practical ergonomics is also important and frankly the buttons and slider on my 28yr old 200sx makes climate control way easier to handle by touch than fiddling with a Tesla screen while driving. As for self-driving I expect that Tesla rivals will simply wait and release cars with working self drive when it works properly as opposed to releasing tiny bits of dodgy code and promises and failures. Sure, Tesla will get there but a goodly chance that current cars will not work reliably with current tech (as early Tesla owners have found)

Its far too tall for my liking but that is a really really good looking car. Good to see how many decent EVs are coming out now. I feel like @UrbanSplash I don't think my next family car will be a Tesla. I just get too irritated by too many things to feel like committing to the brand. I like what Hyundai are doing. Their cars will probably work too.