Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone refusing last software update - speed limit restriction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first update I'm refusing. 5mph restriction was bad, but this essentially makes AP useless anywhere other than divided highways. There are too many roads around here that are not divided, but are long straight stretches of road with at least 55mph speed limits where going the speed limit would be more dangerous, and certainly piss people off. Neighborhood or busy city streets I could understand, but not long stretches of country road or non-divided highway. Very bad precedent that Tesla is setting here.

Reactions: JMG
Really do not understand the discontent with Big Brother Tesla. This is just another example of Elon taking away functionality paid for by the car's purchaser. This goes all the way back to 2013 when he secretly and arbitrarily disabled the air suspension, from lowering, because of a couple of accidents. It was eventually reinstated but seemed not to lower as much as when the Model S was first purchased.

For whatever reason, the fan boys and girls will accept what they are told is good for them, ignoring their rights as discretionary consumers. I suspect that we all should have paid closer attention to the "fine print".

Until the time that we let Elon know that we are willing to take our "business" elsewhere, I suspect that this paternal heavy handiness will continue (for our own good)!

You better be careful what you do in your Tesla vehicle because "Big Brother is Watching You" and you will be punished for disobedience. . .

• Informative
Reactions: green1
I've not been one to refuse an update before but I did hold out on 7.1 for a little while. The nag for me isn't terribly worse although the 3 strikes rule kicked in for the first time last week on a really long drive just near home.

But the speed limit thing is a real downer for me. I don't use AP often on non highways, but sometimes I like to. I frankly am definitely not happy with AP overall. Yes it is helpful but took forever to come out and really isn't much better in the last year. And now we keep getting downgrades - oops safety improvements.

My car is a lease and I'd love to have them disable it and save the money. I know that isn't going to happen.

So for now I just have to say no every 24 hours. At some point an improvement will make me say yes. But that is a pretty sad state. I wonder if AP2 will have the same restriction. For $5000 - that would be even worse.
Don't like the new restriction at all. It makes the AP useless on two lane roads so I've stopped using it. (That might have been their goal.)

Try this:
Easy way to bypass new AP speed limit restriction

This is just another example of Elon taking away functionality paid for by the car's purchaser. This goes all the way back to 2013 when he secretly and arbitrarily disabled the air suspension, from lowering, because of a couple of accidents. It was eventually reinstated but seemed not to lower as much as when the Model S was first purchased.
Are you kidding? You explicitly paid to speed with autosteer engaged? Was that in writing?

As for the air suspension automatic lowering, all the way, all the time. It was causing damage to vehicles due to road conditions as not everyone has perfect roads.

You're making it seem like Tesla is doing you a personal disservice by protecting both the car and driver.

It's not stupid for a company to obey the law. You're complaining to the wrong source if you don't like the posted speed limit.

Okay wait, did you even read what I wrote?
Tesla is limiting me to 50mph in a 55mph zone.
There IS NO LAW that requires me to drive at 50 in 55.
In fact, quite the opposite, the law states that you must drive in accordance with traffic conditions, and when everyone is zooming at 70, driving at 50 is a hazard.

This is not Tesla obeying a law, this is Tesla putting our lives in danger!

Reactions: EVCarGUy and sorka
I'm also sticking with 7.1. It really is great.

Imagine the irony that Tesla is sitting there at the dealer, with ZERO cars to sell with AP functioning. I think this downgrade may just be their jealousy that I'm still able to enjoy the intended function of the system as originally planned (or as close as they came) :p

They may actually want to create a trunk badge for AP0.0

Reactions: yak-55
Are you kidding? You explicitly paid to speed with autosteer engaged? Was that in writing?

Do you own a Tesla?

1) 5mph over the limit is not "speeding" in the vast, vast majority of situations.
2) YES! I paid for functionality demoed to me when I test drove my car. The sales person specifically showed me how great AP was on a normal street. It was/is amazing.
3) As noted in other threads, what is in writing doesn't seem to matter to Tesla since they just change the writing (see elimination of BSP from their website).
4) Why enable AP at all on undivided roads if it all but useless? I can't use it anymore on roads that it does 100% fine on since I'm likely to get honked at for going so slow.

I'm a VERY unhappy customer right now and I encourage other unhappy customers to continue to state their frustrations with Tesla publicly on forums like this, privately to Tesla, and privately to their friends/family.

The other "unintended consequences" of limiting the speed is, now if I'm holding up traffic, if I feel compelled to put my foot on the accelerator, which then negates the safety features of TAAC and immediately prompts me to hold the steering wheel. IMHO, this makes driving the car on AutoPilot less safe than allowing people to go, at their choice, over the speed limit.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex and mobe
Most of us are aware that Tesla is working closely with NHTSA to swiftly move towards approval of self-driving cars. I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that perhaps this speed limiting is coming from NHTSA, rather than Tesla.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Elon is fairly aggressive behind the wheel. And I assume he's always testing the latest software. So ask yourself why Tesla would do this, if there were no outside requirement to do so? Customers aren't happy about it. Your boss isn't going to like it. So why do it if not for the NHTSA?

Most of us are aware that Tesla is working closely with NHTSA to swiftly move towards approval of self-driving cars. I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that perhaps this speed limiting is coming from NHTSA, rather than Tesla.

Good theory. But doesn't make sense given I can still drive on highways well beyond the speed limit with AP on. This seems like an overzealous lawyer's doing....

Reactions: pchilds
I can only speak for myself, have written my views to the company and asked for their reasoning. Instead of guessing what the the software team, Elon, and NHTSA are thinking, let’s press for a blog so we can understand why our cars have been changed for, as I perceive, the worse. I expect they have reasons but honestly the Elon tweet about fast drivers does not give me confidence in their decision making.

Good theory. But doesn't make sense given I can still drive on highways well beyond the speed limit with AP on. This seems like an overzealous lawyer's doing....
Good point. But in a battle between Elon and company lawyers, Elon is going to win. So what would be the convincing argument to get him to agree to this (other than 'we'll give you a special version, Elon'). NHTSA might have still been the reason - with smaller roads of more concern than freeway driving.

In fact, quite the opposite, the law states that you must drive in accordance with traffic conditions, and when everyone is zooming at 70, driving at 50 is a hazard.

That's a bug. Relax. It'll get fixed.

Don't be all pissed at Tesla because some people have continued to demonstrate they can't be responsible drivers, thus endangering others, getting into accidents, and in one case killing themselves because they aren't using AP properly nor paying attention.

Let's all take a deep breath and engage our brains. As adopters of new tech, tech that's leading us into a world of autonomous driving and a ride sharing autonomous network there are going to be hiccups along the way; bugs in the system, trials and errors, regulations and laws of the road that are going to limit the system for a time until they have been changed and so on. Pissing in Tesla's cornflakes isn't going to get you what you want and it only makes you look like a child having a tantrum. Demonstrating that all can be responsible and use the system properly until the system is perfected and the rest of the world can catch up is what's going to get it here. In the meantime, report system bugs and the like to Tesla so that they can continue to work on AP, prove to the likes of NHTSA that it's safer and get universal regulations changed and standardized etc...

This may come as a surprise to you, but when autonomous driving gets here, there won't be any more driving 70 in a 55 zone and thinking that's okay. So enjoy speeding on public roadways while you still can. The law to go with the flow of traffic was never meant to encourage speeding and you know that.

In a future of autonomous driving it's quite possible that there will be designated highways that require a vehicle have autonomous capabilities to even get on it and on those roadways the speed of vehicles will be even higher because at such time it'll long since have been proven that computers are better drivers than people.

I've seen this also and had to toggle AP to get it back up to a reasonable speed (+5 is my setting). You can't reduce speed on Texas highways for no reason and think you'll fair well. This is clearly a bug of some kind.

Some people here are so quick to apologize for a Tesla action that they are not reading posts. Fortunately, Tesla is reading and does make adjustments when they've overcorrected a perceived problem.

Reactions: EVCarGUy and QUBO
This is the first update I'm refusing. 5mph restriction was bad, but this essentially makes AP useless anywhere other than divided highways
Tesla recommends that AP only be used on divided highways. And Tesla is not "restricting" you to any speed below 130mph. Turn off AP, drive the old fashioned way (you know, with your hands and feet) and go as fast as you want.
You better be careful what you do in your Tesla vehicle because "Big Brother is Watching You" and you will be punished for disobedience. . .
Yes Tesla is "punishing" you by allowing you to drive any speed you want when not using AP. Wow, your life is hard...
No Tesla is not limiting you to any speed. The car will go up to 130mph or so. Just how crazy fast do you want to drive?

In my opinion these complains come down to this: "Elon I'm really mad because your cars don't allow me to break the law by exceeding the speed limit with my feet off the pedals and my hands not controlling the wheel and I insist that you let me do that even on undivided roads with cross traffic!".

Last edited:
That's a bug. Relax. It'll get fixed.

Don't be all pissed at Tesla because some people have continued to demonstrate they can't be responsible drivers, thus endangering others, getting into accidents, and in one case killing themselves because they aren't using AP properly nor paying attention.

Let's all take a deep breath and engage our brains. As adopters of new tech, tech that's leading us into a world of autonomous driving and a ride sharing autonomous network there are going to be hiccups along the way; bugs in the system, trials and errors, regulations and laws of the road that are going to limit the system for a time until they have been changed and so on. Pissing in Tesla's cornflakes isn't going to get you what you want and it only makes you look like a child having a tantrum. Demonstrating that all can be responsible and use the system properly until the system is perfected and the rest of the world can catch up is what's going to get it here. In the meantime, report system bugs and the like to Tesla so that they can continue to work on AP, prove to the likes of NHTSA that it's safer and get universal regulations changed and standardized etc...

This may come as a surprise to you, but when autonomous driving gets here, there won't be any more driving 70 in a 55 zone and thinking that's okay. So enjoy speeding on public roadways while you still can. The law to go with the flow of traffic was never meant to encourage speeding and you know that.

In a future of autonomous driving it's quite possible that there will be designated highways that require a vehicle have autonomous capabilities to even get on it and on those roadways the speed of vehicles will be even higher because at such time it'll long since have been proven that computers are better drivers than people.
Driving with the flow of traffic at 40 in a 35 zone is safer than holding up traffic at 35. People get crazy and try unsafe pass.