Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone refusing last software update - speed limit restriction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone that thinks everyone going the exact speed limit is a good idea needs to spend a bit of time in Ohio.

Ohio is the only place in the world where you can have a bright beautiful sunny day on an eight lane highway with all the lanes moving at the exact same speed. Needed or not, cars are in every lane all crawling along at the same exact speed. Then, low and behold, out of the middle of nowhere you will have a twenty car pile up.

Some amount of relative speed is needed for efficiency IF humans are driving. You get everyone scared s'less of the cops writing you for one mile an hour over and, viola, you are Ohio.

I live in Ohio and our left lane hogs suck!! :( the idiots treat it as a parking lot going slower in the left lane than the semi's on the right from time to time... aaarrgh, the cause of highway road rage.

The problem I encountered was going 75 mph on a divided highway with little traffic and a straight road. Very boring. Suddenly it alerts me that it must drop to 50 mph -- which is a big change. After taking over from AP I speed back up and about a mile later try it again and it engages at 75.

This seems like a bug to me. The bug is that it reacted as if something was wrong, but there was nothing "wrong" from my perspective. Maybe it saw something I didn't? A radar ghost? A blip in the camera? It would be nice if the car indicated why it slowed down. Maybe it could display "Dangerous condition detected" on the instrument panel. Or maybe "Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert!". (just kidding....)

This had never happened before on the same stretch of road prior to the update.

Reactions: EVCarGUy and JeffK
I don't mind being limited to the speed limit (there are no superchargers here so I drive the limit or less anyway since all charging is SLOW).

What bugs me is the "hold the steering wheel" every 1 minute on a 2 lane highway I've driven on 10+ times. Unfortunately dumb people doing dumb things are why we all have to suffer.

Reactions: CTShore
Here in my "thickly settled" part of northeastern Massachusetts USA, the custom has been, for decades, to drive at speedlimit + 9 (mph) on dry two lane roads. Everybody does it, including the police. If the roads are wet or icy, people slow down. Ditto if there are school buses around.

The roads and the speed limit system design take this speedlimit+9 design into account. We even have special speed limit signs that say "Strictly Enforced" to mean the +9 rule doesn't apply. These are mostly posted in school zones and town centers, and mostly apply to areas where the speed limit is 20 or 25mph.

This means I can't use autosteer on the parts of my commute that use 2-lane roads. That's unfortunate. I still use TACC at speedlimit+8 and following distance 7.

Going speedlimit+0 on these roads at rush hour is simply not an option; it would be plainly rude to my fellow commuters.

I'm afraid Tesla made an error in 8.0 with the speedlimit+5 restriction, and compounded the error in 8.1 with the speedlimit+0 restriction. The error? being systematically ignorant of local defacto variations in regulations.

By the way, I believe my "comply with local customs" argument is just as strong as the "libertarian" argument. I hope the Tesla people will consider it.

@C_A_Braun Was it really limiting your TACC speed, or was it limiting the AP/Autosteer speed?

We were in full AP mode (TACC + Autosteer) when it happened all 3 times. I don't know what, if anything would have happened with just TACC engaged at those moments that speed was restricted. I suspect that TACC by itself would have reduced and restricted our speed as well but I have no way to confirm that.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Autopilot by it's very nature requires the driver to give up control to the car
That's autonomy, not assistance. My car was a good assistant before the +5 limit and at +0 it will not get used so I'll be driving without the additional safety of having an assistant.
When (if) my M3 is off doing my bidding I will not want it to get a speeding ticket, but I wouldn't want it to get pushed off the road by an impatient oil burner either. Imagine a few Empty Autonomous Teslas find themselves tracking across a freeway at the speed limit—somebody is going to take one out. There is no single simple solution to the speed limit question when some cars are not autonomous. Until then, we are driving our cars and I'll take some assistance and safety features when I can get them. If I proceed with this update I'll lose the utility of the assistance I have now and, based on some reports here, have a less reliable assistant as well.

Here is something to consider. The speed limit is determined (to some extent) based on the number of accidents (on that particular road, and all roads in general). If we allow self-driving cars to improve safety first, then when the number of highway deaths has dropped precipitously, the actual speed limit will be able to be raised. That way we get safer roads, and quicker trips. If we push for speed over safety, we will get stuck in a situation where highway deaths remain high, the speed limit remains low, and everyone is subject to ticketing for violating it. Take your pick.

Thank you kindly

Here is something to consider. The speed limit is determined (to some extent) based on the number of accidents (on that particular road, and all roads in general). If we allow self-driving cars to improve safety first, then when the number of highway deaths has dropped precipitously, the actual speed limit will be able to be raised. That way we get safer roads, and quicker trips. If we push for speed over safety, we will get stuck in a situation where highway deaths remain high, the speed limit remains low, and everyone is subject to ticketing for violating it. Take your pick.

Thank you kindly
Speed limits are set by class of road and urban, suburban,rural area, not by accidents or local conditions. The yellow curve warning signs advise speed for local conditions.
I don't think your logic applies.

My hunch is that AP's lanekeeping ability declined or at least became less proven with v8.0 because of a shift from Mobileye's code base to a base that includes more of Tesla's code. They cut the speed limit in response to the immaturity of the new code. Perhaps they will return to +5mph as experience with v8.0 grows. Again, its just my hunch.

I'm on an earlier version of 8.0 and will try to avoid updating for a while.

Speed limits are set by class of road and urban, suburban,rural area, not by accidents or local conditions. The yellow curve warning signs advise speed for local conditions.
I don't think your logic applies.
There are some roads in my area that have had the speed limits raised or lowered based on average driver speed or a propensity to have serious accidents.

My hunch is that AP's lanekeeping ability declined or at least became less proven with v8.0 because of a shift from Mobileye's code base to a base that includes more of Tesla's code. They cut the speed limit in response to the immaturity of the new code. Perhaps they will return to +5mph as experience with v8.0 grows. Again, its just my hunch.

I'm on an earlier version of 8.0 and will try to avoid updating for a while.

Seems (unfortunately) entirely plausible to me ...

I hope everyone in this thread does voice their concerns to Tesla instead of just refusing and ignoring the issue, they seem like a fairly responsive company.
I have been voicing my concerns to them for many months now. They have been anything but responsive. Not only have they responded my doubling down on feature removal. They have also refused to allow me to talk to anyone who has any authority to do anything. In fact the only person I'm allowed to talk to is the manager of the local service centre who has no authority at all. Any other method of contact simply gets re-directed to that same manager. He claims to have escalated it to "senior management", but they have not contacted me many months later, and he refuses to provide any method for me to contact them. A registered letter sent to the address listed in the manual has also gone unanswered.

Unfortunately this has left me with no option but to voice my concerns in the only way they have left open to me. To consumer protection departments, Motor vehicle industry watchdogs, as many potential customers as I can reach, and potentially arbitration or other legal mechanisms.

Elon Musk is reasonably active on Twitter and several "ordinary people" find that to be a pretty successful way to reach out directly to the big cheese and ask questions etc. I have not gotten any reply to my message to him about my displeasure with speeds on the interstate dropping to and being restricted to 50MPH in 65/70/75/80 & 85MPH zones for no reason. But maybe if a few more people do he will be forced to respond.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Overall this release is a bummer. I was okay with the 5 MPH over limit thing when they implemented it, but this renders AS basically useless on two lane roads. Also annoyed that they eliminated the ding when the car automatically opens/closes the garage door - I liked the verification as I was driving away.

1) 5mph over the limit is not "speeding" in the vast, vast majority of situations.

I suggest you get a new dictionary, your current one is clearly trying to get you arrested.

Speed limits are set by class of road and urban,

The are set in groups (classes), yes, but using what criteria? Accidents (among other things).

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
Reactions: PacManMX