Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also speculating that Tesla is betting on that the current unit is sufficient for EAP and some FSD functionality which will be sufficient for some time. They will then do an upgrade for those who paid for FSD when needed, and also switch to the next generation (Xavier) at some point.

That seems reasonable. Or upgrade with a Tesla custom chip when available.

Really nothing in production? That's hypocrisy. You attack others for speculation but that's all you do other than shill for mobileye.

How does discussing mobileye which is a big part of tesla history equates to shilling and no they have a L2 system in production.

Tesla has a system of hardware and sensors that they are convinced is adequate for Level 5 in production and in customer's hands - and has for more than six months.

Tesla and Elon has made outlandish claims like these every time and have failed to deliver. The only thing in customers hands is a L2 system. Infact it was only like last month that partial payment from EAP were recognized. FSD payments haven't even been recognized yet.

They're also the only player in the game with a history of significant capability improvements to the fleet to firmware upgrades.
Others have, Volvo for example went from pilot Assist 1 to 2 with a software update.

eAP may be Level 2 now, but that's subject to change at any time. Unless Tesla is badly confused about the potential of the system, what makes you think they won't have a level 3 capability in restricted environments like Audi is promising by the time the Audi and Nissan cars with that are actually released? That would then roll out to all cars built since last October if they have the eAP and FSDC options...

Unlikely because tesla actually said: "That said, Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver's assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times."

I think what alot of people are confused about is what EAP actually is. Alot will be surprised that Its not based on FSD code development, for lane changing on highway for example, its simply replacing the usage of ultrasonics with the two rear cameras. EAP is only meant to accomplish the promises of AP1 that never happened. Smart Summon will also do what summon was promised to do and also on-ramp/off-ramp, etc. EAP is literally a glorified AP1.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
no, I am practically convinced lb is some sort of a dumb gps thingie.
I plan to research it in more detail real soon now
Yes, figuring what lb is would really help. The only thing I'm worried about in terms of going the software route to figure the configuration out is if Tesla left the other SoC unused for EAP, then that may not show up in the software.

But looking at the physical board doesn't have the same problem.

Reactions: wesley888
Dang this thread just exploded while I was sleeping :eek:

OT, Anyone know what Ublox device they are using?
In AP2-cars, the GPS-signal from the antenna in the trunk lid terminates directly in the AP2ECU ("PX2") on a dedicated connector. How the "PX2" processes and sends this to the MCU is a big mystery thus far. All I know is that the Ublox device in the MCU is a LEA-6R-0-001 in AP1-cars. (BTW in AP1-cars, the antenna cable terminates directly in the MCU.) That said, the MCU was not updated with AP2, so it should be the same GPS-module. The latest code dump from @verygreen mentions Ublox:
# CONFIG_SERIAL_UBLOX_GPS is not set

According to the Parts Manual, they did update the antenna, though. I suspect it is a Hirschmann Car Communications mouse of some sort.

Yes, but the reference board has the Tegras on one side, and the two GPUs on the other side, which require cooling (heatsinks/fans) on both sides:
FIRST PICTURES - Tesla Autopilot 2.0 ECU (Nvidia PX 2)

The Tesla board seems to only have one heatsink on the top side with two 80mm fans, and based on what can be seen from outside it is in my opinion too small for a 2x Tegra + 2x GPU setup (or anything else powerful that require a lot of cooling).

I totally agree with @bjornb here.

First off, one needs to understand the difference between the "Autocruise" and "Autochauffeur" boards:

"Autocruise" only consists of a "Parker" chip, which has 6 CPUs (2 x Denver + 4 x Coretex A57) and an integrated GPU (iGPU). This chip is also known as Tegra X2 or T186.

"Autochauffeur" has that times two (i.e. two "Parker" chips, totalling 12 CPU cores and 2 iGPUs). ADDITIONALLY it has two discrete GPUs (dGPUs) -- probably MXM 3.1s -- mounted on the flip side of the board. Each of these two dGPUs is accompanied by dedicated video memory @4GB (Elpida W4032BABG-60-F). Check this out: Need for Speed. In conclusion: "Autochauffeur" (the so-called full board) is not merely a double "Auocruise" board - it's far more than that because of the dGPUs.

The enclosure pictures taken by me, @bjornb and others show that the board is mounted almost flush with the bottom of the steel/aluminium enclosure. Not much room for dGPUs on the bottom!

Certainly Tesla has a very modified version of the PX2, if it really can be called PX2 at all. Elon certainly didn't mention PX2 in his press conference speech. Yet Nvidia has boasted that it is indeed a PX2 in there.

I can't wait for the first person to post photos of the board. :D
Neither can I, that's why I started this thread allready back in December :)

Last edited:
Dang this thread just exploded while I was sleeping :eek:

In AP2-cars, the GPS-signal from the antenna in the trunk lid terminates directly in the AP2ECU ("PX2") on a dedicated connector. How the "PX2" processes and sends this to the MCU is a big mystery thus far. All I know is that the Ublox device in the MCU is a LEA-6R-0-001 in AP1-cars. (BTW in AP1-cars, the antenna cable terminates directly in the MCU.) That said, the MCU was not updated with AP2, so it should be the same GPS-module. They did update the antenna, though.

I totally agree with @bjornb here.

First off, one needs to understand the difference between the "Autochauffeur" and "Autocruise" boards:

"Autocruise" only consists of a "Parker" chip, which has 6 CPUs (2 x Denver + 4 x Coretex A57) and an integrated GPU (iGPU). This chip is also known as Tegra X2 or T186.

"Autochauffeur" has that times two (i.e. two "Parker" chips, totalling 12 CPU cores and 2 iGPUs). ADDITIONALLY it has two discrete GPUs (dGPUs) -- probably MXM 3.1s -- mounted on the flip side of the board. Each of these two dGPUs is accompanied by dedicated video memory @4GB (Elpida W4032BABG-60-F). Check this out: Need for Speed. In conclusion: "Autochauffeur" (the so-called full board) is not merely a double "Auocruise" board - it's far more than that.

The enclosure pictures taken by me, @bjornb and others show that the board is mounted almost flush with the bottom of the steel/aluminium enclosure. Not much room for dGPUs on the bottom! Also, where's the cooling for these?

Certainly Tesla has a very modified version of the PX2, if it really can be called PX2 at all. Elon certainly didn't mention PX2 in his press conference speech. Yet Nvidia has boasted that it is indeed a PX2 in there.

Neither can I, that's why I started this thread allready back in December :)

This is really hard to visualize without pictures. I decided to google the actual physical pictures of the boards.
This is the PX2 Autocruise (single Parker; unfortunately I couldn't find a picture of bottom side):
NVIDIA-DRIVE-PX-2-for-AutoCruise-front.jpg

This is the "Autochauffeur" (2 Parker, 2 discrete Pascal GPUS):
NVIDIA-Drive-PX-2-big.jpg

The bottom picture I haven't seen previously, but it shows the two discrete Pascal GPU boards connected with MXM connectors to the bottom.
nvidia-drive-px-2-board-100654615-orig.jpg

This description would match neither:
@lunitiks Re the board, I just heard from a reliable source that on the AP board there are two nvidia chips. "one big, one small", the big one is on a daughterboard similar to cid, small one is on the main board.
Pictures do exist, but my source cannot release them.

Rather that suggests a configuration with 1 Parker and 1 discrete GPU, which Nvidia had never shown. However, this would match up with Elon saying 12 Trillion operations per second (vs 24 DL TOPs quoted by Nvidia for the PX2 Autochauffeur).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Matias
The Tesla unit seems to be a combination of the two: it has the inputs of the Autochauffer reference board but a form factor (and CPU count) that suggests Autocruise.
Not quite :) Teslas I/Os are totally different from Nvidias dev board. Tesla uses a combination of Rosenberger 59Z115 (double connectors), Rosenberger 59Z113 and D4Z001 (single connectors), plus a couple of Japanese(?) connectors like Sumitomo 6098-5611 and 6098-4008. Furthermore, the Tesla unit does not have a OBDII-connector, SD-slot or the "double decker" USB-port.

"Counting I/Os" actually gets you nowhere. According to this source (see p. 6), the Autocruise variant is able to "connect & fuse data from up to 8 cameras", plus radar and lidar. I've seen pictures of the Autocruise with two and three camera connectors.

Teslas AP2ECU is custom indeed

Not quite :) Teslas I/Os are totally different from Nvidias dev board. Tesla uses a combination of Rosenberger 59Z115 (double connectors), Rosenberger 59Z113 and D4Z001 (single connectors), plus a couple of Japanese(?) connectors like Sumitomo 6098-5611 and 6098-4008. Furthermore, the Tesla unit does not have a OBDII-connector, SD-slot or the "double decker" USB-port.

"Counting I/Os" actually gets you nowhere. According to this source (see p. 6), the Autocruise variant is able to "connect & fuse data from up to 8 cameras", plus radar and lidar. I've seen pictures of the Autocruise with two and three camera connectors.

Teslas AP2ECU is custom indeed

Did any of your pics have Nvidia's SKU on them? Can see a sticker on one but cant read it.

On your pictures there's an odd space next to usb-c that looks like sdcard slot that was just not put in place

Did any of your pics have Nvidia's SKU on them? Can see a sticker on one but cant read it.
The sticker just tells you Teslas part no (1078321-XX-X).

Speaking of which: The AP2ECU has been revised a couple of times since october '16. Current version is 1078321-70-G ("can replace all old versions, 1078321-70-C and 1078321-70-D").

How does discussing mobileye which is a big part of tesla history equates to shilling and no they have a L2 system in production.

Tesla and Elon has made outlandish claims like these every time and have failed to deliver. The only thing in customers hands is a L2 system. Infact it was only like last month that partial payment from EAP were recognized. FSD payments haven't even been recognized yet.

Unlikely because tesla actually said: "That said, Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver's assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times."

I think what alot of people are confused about is what EAP actually is. Alot will be surprised that Its not based on FSD code development, for lane changing on highway for example, its simply replacing the usage of ultrasonics with the two rear cameras. EAP is only meant to accomplish the promises of AP1 that never happened. Smart Summon will also do what summon was promised to do and also on-ramp/off-ramp, etc. EAP is literally a glorified AP1.

Yes, I agree that customers have a L2 system now and EAP is also L2, but what is the potential of the system in your opinion?
L2? L3? L4? L5?

Lets assume for now that the processing power of the autopilot ECU is not a limitation.

Elon Musk has said 'all cars exiting the factory have hardware necessary for Level 5 Autonomy' and 'with Level 5 literally meaning hardware capable of full self-driving for driver-less capability' (but I have a feeling you have a meaning about Elons credibility.. ;-) ).

On their own Autopilot page they actually do not go that far:
" the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver".
"enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver".

To me it seems like they say the potential is L4 on the web page(?)

For reference, posted by @Bladerskb earlier:
sae-autonomy-standards.jpg

About processing power:

The Tesla web page says "Processing Power Increased 40x".
On the AP2 presentation Elon said "The compute power increases by a factor of 40 (40x increase in compute power), it’s such a gigantic increase in computing power, infact the computer is capable of 12 trillion operations per second".

Do we know anything more specific about this?
What kind of 'operations per second' is he talking about? TFLOPS? DLTOPS?
I have seen EyeQ3 described with a performance of 0,2 and 0,256 TFLOPS, but I dont know whether this is a comparable value to what is presented about the Nvidia PX2 with 8 TFLOPS/24 DLTOPs (I do sometimes follow and read news regarding new CPUs/GPUs on Anandtech etc, and I know that the values differ whether it is FP32, FP16 TFLOPS etc..,).

All I know is that the Ublox device in the MCU is a LEA-6R-0-001 in AP1-cars. (BTW in AP1-cars, the antenna cable terminates directly in the MCU.) That said, the MCU was not updated with AP2, so it should be the same GPS-module. The latest code dump from @verygreen mentions Ublox:

The Lea 6R makes sense as it is dead reckoning for tunnels etc., but not raw data (RTK capable) enabled by default. plus only single constellation (GPS) There is a custom firmware hack around to get raw data ( pseudorange, doppler and phase) out on most 6 series Ublox receivers. However the 6 series ublox is now quite old technology, now superceded by the 8 series giving it Glonass, Galileo plus Beidou capability in addition to GPS. this doubles or triples the number of available satelites hence improves urban canyon performance.
From the Ublox site "u-blox 6 modules are previous generation devices. EVA-M8E, NEO-M8L or NEO-M8U are recommended for new dead reckoning designs."
So it would be dissapointing if they are still fitting the LEA-6R.

Awesome info on this thread but I'm gonna toss a wrench in like I am known to do. Even I have made the mistake of thinking Tesla could use Xavier in the future, but then I remembered they have a deal with Samsung to make a chip. At first i assumed this was for the mpu? If that's what it's called. But then I thought about how Apple made its own are processors for the iPhone and iPad.

They could be licensing something from Nvidia but I think the goal would be to design a chip that only has what Tesla needs and not as full featured, AKA expensive, as it relates to the px2/Xavier. No lidar support for example.

The goal would be two fold, one processor for everything that is built specifically for Tesla and can be iterated over time to support upgrades of existing cars and future cars. Price and power consumption minimized. Support for augmented reality HUD? Tesla won't want several disparate systems and cpus that drive up complexity and cost.

Now what to do with 100,000 drive px2 boards? Can they rack then up and build a machine learning super computer in a data center?

Sorry to derail this thread again, but I think it's the right audience, minus one guy who won't be named.

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks