Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know that the driver hasnt fallen asleep?

How do you know someone hasn't fallen asleep in a regular car? It doesn't matter to a regular car and won't to an L3. Its illegal. How do you know someone isn't drunk or popping pills or tired beyond safe? Blood testing machines next? A manufacturer isn't responsible for a plethora of criminal or stupid activities. This is a useless red herring.

SAE levels are hardware agnostic.

Why do I get the feeling we’re gonna see a lot of people with stickers in their Model 3s? I see way too many laptop cameras covered by people I never before would have described as paranoid...

Why do I get the feeling we’re gonna see a lot of people with stickers in their Model 3s? I see way too many laptop cameras covered by people I never before would have described as paranoid...
I am sure it's going to be the same as with Privacy & Legal | Tesla - you can just opt out (or cover the camera, whatever) and that's fine, you'd just no longer be able to use TACC/FSD/... as the stick.

I think the big difference is that for most people the laptop camera serves zero purpose other than potential privacy invasion in an environment where they’re likely to be naked, etc. while in a car you are less likely to.... on second thought.... never mind.

But at any rate, covering the laptop camera has basically no functionality loss. Covering the Model 3 camera may lead to AP not working. The same people aren’t covering the front and back cameras on their phones or their car’s backup camera, or sound proofing microphones or speakers that can be driven in reverse to pick up audio.

I am sure it's going to be the same as with Privacy & Legal | Tesla - you can just opt out (or cover the camera, whatever) and that's fine, you'd just no longer be able to use TACC/FSD/... as the stick.
Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera is mandatory in order to use Autopilot. And that Tesla also reserves the right to review logs in the event of a crash. I imagine some won't like that, but both would be fine with me.

Now that we know there is a driver facing camera that may be needed for FSD and/or Tesla Ride share is this going to be a free upgrade / recall for those that prepaid for FSD on s/x?

Pure speculation: The positioning of the camera seems to be a relatively easily retro-able location. I was concerned if they introduced a camera on the dash or something that that would be really difficult but the rear view mirror and AP camera enclosure seems to be something that was made to be easily serviced...

@verygreen mentioned the GPU code is different for "HW2.5" so I expect there are a lot more under the cover changes we can look forward to finding out about.

Now that we know there is a driver facing camera that may be needed for FSD and/or Tesla Ride share is this going to be a free upgrade / recall for those that prepaid for FSD on s/x?

I doubt it. Assuming the new camera is strictly for ridesharing, I’d think they’d simply limit the rideshare capabilities of current HW2 S/Xs.

(I don’t think many S/X owners would want to send their cars out into the unknown of a late Saturday night anyway)

There is a possibility that the camera has nothing to do with either semi autonomous driving functions (L2, L3, L4), or Tesla Ride share.

Instead it could simply be for detecting animals/humans in a hot car. Sure the Model S has cabin overheat protection, but it could be made more sophisticated through the use of a camera.

Or maybe Tesla plans on using it for lots of different things. So I don't see it necessarily being a bad idea even if it raises the cost slightly. Cameras these days are cheap.

It could also be used for facial recognition for automatic seat adjustment.

Doesn't have to. All the car needs to do in order to be L3 is give the (sleeping) driver 8-15 secs audible, visible or otherwise prompt to take over. If the driver doesn't, it doesn't matter if he's sleeping, drunk or dead. When the time's out, you're in - wether you like it or not

If only there weren't any PR nightmare that happens when someone dies at the hand of your automated system.
Its not really about the driver, but about avoiding PR hell. So you have to make sure the driver is actually in the driver seat and not sleeping because if something happens to them because they did something stupid the backlash is on you not them.

If only there weren't any PR nightmare that happens when someone dies at the hand of your automated system.
Its not really about the driver, but about avoiding PR hell. So you have to make sure the driver is actually in the driver seat and not sleeping because if something happens to them because they did something stupid the backlash is on you not them.

Even current AP requires the driver to be in the seat. If you sit up, it will go into Park. If AP is enabled, it will automatically slow down and throw on hazards (I believe). I have only verified it will slow down, I've never actually tried to leave my seat while driving.

I really think this has to do only with ride sharing and has nothing to do with Tesla FSD. They will stick with nags but far less frequency to probably ensure driver is awake and responsive. Imagine if you're reading, you can probably be bothered to glance around every 5 minutes and it won't impact your enjoyment. Its actually a lot safer than using a camera to do basic checks.

Even current AP requires the driver to be in the seat. If you sit up, it will go into Park. If AP is enabled, it will automatically slow down and throw on hazards (I believe). I have only verified it will slow down, I've never actually tried to leave my seat while driving.

I really think this has to do only with ride sharing and has nothing to do with Tesla FSD. They will stick with nags but far less frequency to probably ensure driver is awake and responsive. Imagine if you're reading, you can probably be bothered to glance around every 5 minutes and it won't impact your enjoyment. Its actually a lot safer than using a camera to do basic checks.
There's no legal requirement either for a Level 2 system to detect if the driver is in a seat or has a hand on the steering wheel. The Infiniti Q50 does not do a steering sensor, nor a seat sensor. You can leave the seat completely and the system will keep going.

Tesla added seat sensing quickly after someone did a similar stunt. Infiniti seems to have gotten away without it, given people don't care about the brand (doesn't make headline news).

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy