Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has cut in an out several times. I've had some luck with parking and plugging the car in, then having it work the next time I go out (for a little while). It is definitely out more than it is working, but every now and then it works. It has not yet started working in the middle of a drive yet though. It either works when the car first starts up after being parked, or it doesn't.

Hopefully they get this fixed and release an update soon.

Reactions: Ulmo
I'm referring to the auto headlights, not the auto high beam. It is a bright sunny day and the headlights are always on.
So while set to Auto, yer headlights are always ON? Not mine, and screen also shows correctly the car lights on or off.
|v8.1(17.11.10)| AP2 |

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 193
@vandacca:

Interesting. That does not seem to be the exact Model S nosecone, though, either - it has too linear top left/rifght sides, while Model S is more rounded. It looks a bit like the Model X prototype nosecone.

I wonder if the firmware had old graphics for a noseconed Model X version, perhaps something that was planned had Model X launched a bit earlier than it did.

@vandacca:

Interesting. That does not seem to be the exact Model S nosecone, though, either - it has too linear top left/rifght sides, while Model S is more rounded. It looks a bit like the Model X prototype nosecone.

I wonder if the firmware had old graphics for a noseconed Model X version, perhaps something that was planned had Model X launched a bit earlier than it did.
My last post was meant to be funny. I suspect that @BigMskiman somehow grabbed a screenshot from an old X Manual, rather than the latest copy.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Thanks for the wealth of information here. I have a Model X 75D (Dec 2016 build). Have the exact same issue. Haven't been able to activate AP post 8.1. I have on occasion seen the message "Obstable in path..." in addition to the "Cruise not available" message. I wonder if other's experiencing the same issue have seen this.

Just got back from a ski trip that encompassed several hundred km of driving and seventeen driving episodes of various lengths (on/off ferries, supercharger stops, short stops, three overnights, etc.) Not once did any of the AP2 functionality return. The ultrasonics are still there for parking, but TACC and AutoSteer are continuously offline now (I saw no collision warnings at all either, worryingly).

As someone who used to lead a software organization, and wrote and debugged a lot of code myself, this smells like a fundamental structural (not design/functional) bug in the AP2 firmware. It could be a memory leak or memory fragmentation that gradually develops over time, causing intermittent failures at first, followed by a complete lock-up (like my car).

I am also wondering if there might be an interaction with TeslaFi also. I have it implemented on my car, and have not successfully tuned it to get the car to sleep. So my car has not been in deep sleep for weeks. I suspect that the "recovery" some people have seen might be due to an implicit cold start of the AP system after a sleep state. That might have temporarily overcome the firmware weakness of 8.1, whereas builds of 8.0 did not have this weakness, so cold starts had no perceptible restorative benefit.

Just a hypothesis...

I am also wondering if there might be an interaction with TeslaFi also. I have it implemented on my car, and have not successfully tuned it to get the car to sleep. So my car has not been in deep sleep for weeks. I suspect that the "recovery" some people have seen might be due to an implicit cold start of the AP system after a sleep state. That might have temporarily overcome the firmware weakness of 8.1, whereas builds of 8.0 did not have this weakness, so cold starts had no perceptible restorative benefit.

Just a hypothesis...
I have the same bug and also use TeslaFi and VisibleTesla (constantly on). Anyone else?

Last edited:
Same here. Fine for a few days after 8.1 ( other than calling for manual calibration for Autosteer at high speed), then no AP or cruise at all, then back after being parked, then gone, etc. Hasn't returned this time.

Also use Teslafi and car doesn't sleep.

• Helpful
Let's see how long it takes them to fix it
Just got back from a ski trip that encompassed several hundred km of driving and seventeen driving episodes of various lengths (on/off ferries, supercharger stops, short stops, three overnights, etc.) Not once did any of the AP2 functionality return. The ultrasonics are still there for parking, but TACC and AutoSteer are continuously offline now (I saw no collision warnings at all either, worryingly).

As someone who used to lead a software organization, and wrote and debugged a lot of code myself, this smells like a fundamental structural (not design/functional) bug in the AP2 firmware. It could be a memory leak or memory fragmentation that gradually develops over time, causing intermittent failures at first, followed by a complete lock-up (like my car).

Just a hypothesis...
I have the same problem and I don't use teslaFi.

• Informative
Just to clarify, mine worked for about a week until Wednesday where in the course of a couple of hours the all AP functions including auto headlights stopped working. Hoping for a fix soon, my SC wants me to bring it in, but after reading this thread I'll likely cancel and just await further updates.

Hmm, yeah - picked up my new Tesla on Tuesday... Once I updated the firmware to 17.11.10 the lane lines showed up, but no auto-steer or TACC. I figured it was still calibrating. Speed signs eventually showed up after about 120 miles. After 350 miles I got a glimmer of auto-steer and TACC whilst driving on the motorway. Engaged it for around 90 seconds... it auto-steered too close to the lane lines, did a phantom ghost break under a bridge and freaked itself out (all within 90 seconds). TACC or auto-steer disengaged, then disappeared from the dash, and haven't returned since.

I reckon I hit the double whammy: a long wait while it calibrated; then a few seconds of use before it hit the glitch in the firmware.

It's so new, and I have seen it (sort of) work... so the sensors seem ok. I'll wait until the next firmware and then, if still no dice, I'll take it in. I've done about 400 miles so far...