Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

AP2 - Definitely heading in the WRONG direction...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 70mph on the highway last night on a gentle curve, AP2 started suddenly to veer into the semi in the next lane. I took over before waiting to find out how the beta test would resolve. I was shaken to the point of trying the "bug report" command immediately. No "side collision" warnings, no lane keep assist.

Working most of the time isn't a good standard for safety features.

Yes. That's what we need, people not using AP so that Tesla doesn't discover problems. Such insight. Thank you.

I would like to mention, that my AP1 car has done the very thing you mentioned above within the last month for me. Sometimes, as I read AP2 guys share frustrations, that AP1 (in my experience) has these types of issues, still.

It simple. The whiners focus on the edges cases and the 1% where it has difficultly. The rest of us simply enjoy AP the remaining situations where it drives amazingly well.

Please stop replying to these threads you don't own an AP2 car. You're erroneously conflating your AP1 experiences on an AP2 thread. AP1 is vastly superior.

Please stop replying to these threads you don't own an AP2 car. You're erroneously conflating your AP1 experiences on an AP2 thread. AP1 is vastly superior.
The comment right before your's says otherwise. It's largely opinion which one is better, and not many have extensive experience with both to be able to judge.

But as an outside observer (I own neither), I do notice the complaints for AP2, I have previously seen posted about for AP1 too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Turing
New to forum. I have an AP2 with 17.22.46 update on a p100d with FSD. So, it's interesting. My autopilot is better and better, but as I become more and more comfortable with it, my expectations are higher, so it seems as though AP2 is regressing, but instead, I'm becoming more confident in my opinions. So for what it's worth, here is my first observation on the state of AP2... it's still incon

New to forum. I have an AP2 with 17.22.46 update on a p100d with FSD. So, it's interesting. My autopilot is better and better, but as I become more and more comfortable with it, my expectations are higher, so it seems as though AP2 is regressing, but instead, I'm becoming more confident in my opinions. So for what it's worth, here is my first observation on the state of AP2... it's still inconsistent.

The comment right before your's says otherwise. It's largely opinion which one is better, and not many have extensive experience with both to be able to judge.

But as an outside observer (I own neither), I do notice the complaints for AP2, I have previously seen posted about for AP1 too.

AP2 is still missing alot of features that AP1 doesn't have (speed limit adjustment, displaying car from other lane, displaying car classes, etc)
even the CEO has come out and said AP2 control weren't as smooth as AP1.

The reason the complaints match is because AP2 is at the stage AP1 was 2 years ago when it was initially released.
9/10 who had ap1 and ap2 would tell and have posted here that AP1 is currently vastly superior, its not even close.
There have been video comparison made about it.

Again its not "opinion" since even the CEO has spoken out about it. Unless now for the first time we shouldn't heed elons statements?
But at this point from hundreds of post interacting with you, anything that puts tesla in a bad light is "unsubstantiated opinion" even if the very own ceo is saying the same thing.

... not many have extensive experience with both to be able to judge. ...

Well, I've owned/own both and can tell you that AP2 well and truly sucks (so far) compared to AP1. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you. It's not a close call. Repeat - it's not a close call.

Simple enough to verify - go to your local/regional Tesla Owners Club and arrange to drive both cars in various environments. See for yourself.

I've got 10,000 miles in an AP2 car and had just shy of 65,000 miles in an AP1 car. Both cars have been through dozens of (US) states and various conditions including interstates, freeways, toll roads, secondary roads, dirt roads (heh, just saying), rush hour traffic in and around Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, and numerous other fine cities, snow, rain, ice, and elevation from below sea level to over 11,000 feet.

And that was just in the last month for the AP2 car.

There was exactly one instance during which AP2 impressed me - and that was northeast of Cheyenne, Wyoming on the way to the 4th Annual Black Hills Tesla Rally (aka the 2017 Sound of Silence in Custer, South Dakota). Which, by the way if anyone reading this hasn't yet attended, which is most of you (10 cars 2014, 35 cars 2015, 59 cars 2016, 50 cars 2017 - due to 10 wx-related cancellations), do try to attend at least one time - fair warning, tho - you'll be hooked :). Custer will have an SC by the time the 2018 gathering rolls around, so in addition to the 40+ L2 chargers courtesy of Elon (yes, you read that right - and it's a great story - search the forums for it) in a town of 1500 people, now they can easily handle 100 attendees. But I digress.

Anyway, the one instance: Coming out of sideways snow and icy nighttime conditions in 31F wx, driving rain then occurred. Couldn't see the road and the markings weren't all that good to begin with. However, there were markings at least on one side of the road or the other most of the time. The AP2 car tracked really well through that. I'd been through the same roads in the AP1 car in dry daytime conditions and don't recall it doing that well.

So there's potential for AP2, and we all knew going in that neural nets are slow to develop - but one day, the car which is presently as dumb as a rock in anything other than the most vanilla of scenarios, relatively speaking, will be smarter than we are. Maybe. As one who has owned/owns multiple Teslas and who remains long TSLA, I will welcome that day.

AP2 is still missing alot of features that AP1 doesn't have (speed limit adjustment, displaying car from other lane, displaying car classes, etc)
even the CEO has come out and said AP2 control weren't as smooth as AP1.
Citation required. If you are referring to Elon's tweet, he said there would be a new update to make the control algorithm smoother, but he never said AP2 was less smooth than AP1.

@elonmusk May 21
Excited about the Tesla Autopilot software release rolling out next month. New control algorithm feels as smooth as silk.
@rrosenbl May 21
Great because the jerkiness at hwy speeds can be unsettling
@elonmusk
Replying to @rrosenbl
Yeah, control algorithm is safe, but unpleasant. New one is even safer, but super smooth.
Elon Musk on Twitter

There was exactly one instance during which AP2 impressed me - and that was northeast of Cheyenne, Wyoming on the way to the 4th Annual Black Hills Tesla Rally (aka the 2017 Sound of Silence in Custer, South Dakota). Which, by the way if anyone reading this hasn't yet attended, which is most of you (10 cars 2014, 35 cars 2015, 59 cars 2016, 50 cars 2017 - due to 10 wx-related cancellations), do try to attend at least one time - fair warning, tho - you'll be hooked :). Custer will have an SC by the time the 2018 gathering rolls around, so in addition to the 40+ L2 chargers courtesy of Elon (yes, you read that right - and it's a great story - search the forums for it) in a town of 1500 people, now they can easily handle 100 attendees. But I digress.

The first I've heard of this event was this year, and unfortunately I couldn't make it. If you're involved in the organizing of the event, you guys need to do a better job of advertising!

Well, I've owned/own both and can tell you that AP2 well and truly sucks (so far) compared to AP1. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you. It's not a close call. Repeat - it's not a close call.

Simple enough to verify - go to your local/regional Tesla Owners Club and arrange to drive both cars in various environments. See for yourself.

I've got 10,000 miles in an AP2 car and had just shy of 65,000 miles in an AP1 car. Both cars have been through dozens of (US) states and various conditions including interstates, freeways, toll roads, secondary roads, dirt roads (heh, just saying), rush hour traffic in and around Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, and numerous other fine cities, snow, rain, ice, and elevation from below sea level to over 11,000 feet.

And that was just in the last month for the AP2 car.

Anyway, the one instance: Coming out of sideways snow and icy nighttime conditions in 31F wx, driving rain then occurred. Couldn't see the road and the markings weren't all that good to begin with. However, there were markings at least on one side of the road or the other most of the time. The AP2 car tracked really well through that. I'd been through the same roads in the AP1 car in dry daytime conditions and don't recall it doing that well.

So there's potential for AP2, and we all knew going in that neural nets are slow to develop - but one day, the car which is presently as dumb as a rock in anything other than the most vanilla of scenarios, relatively speaking, will be smarter than we are. Maybe. As one who has owned/owns multiple Teslas and who remains long TSLA, I will welcome that day.

+1
53k on AP1
8.9k on AP2
Agree with @TaoJones assessment as well

My experience is pretty much the same as @TaoJones

It can be summed up by saying that I trusted AP1. I don't trust AP2.

I use AP2, but I don't experience the same relief and relaxation I did when driving on AP1. Although AP2 is approaching (not there yet) feature parity; experience parity is a very different thing and there's still a long way to go there.

I suppose when I activate AP2 now, I'm doing it as a tech geek, sort of to see if it'll work. I'm basically just waiting until I have to take over. My AP1 car was pre-nag firmware when I drove it too, so it was amazing; it'd do all of the motorway driving for me, and pretty much never gave me any cause for concern. AP2, well... it's jerky, chooses bad lane positioning, I tense up whenever going underneath a bridge or overhead sign, whenever the lane markings aren't perfect, whenever there's a car that's favouring my side of the road... so it's not quite the stress-free driving experience that AP1 was.

That's as of today... as a tech geek and Tesla fan, the most exciting thing for me is that with AP2 there's definitely a tomorrow.

Yeah, the reality is AP2 is quite bad still. Which would be perfectly fine had Tesla really been upfront about it and just invited us on an adventure. Many of us would have happily taken that bait.

However, reconciling the Tesla/Elon marketing of AP2 in late 2016 - or even the comms on the updates of 2017 - with reality is a bitter pill to swallow. It seems obvious the public was misled in a bad way for business benefit.

This with all the other shenanigans from Tesla (counter gate, peak rate throttling, free SpC back and forth, constant quarter games) have pretty much resulted in me losing all respect for the company. From my feelings in 2014 that is a dramatic shift.

I still think the product shows great promise (both the car and AP2), as an objective observation, but the company behind it has proven to be pretty terrible - as another objective observation.

Yeah, the reality is AP2 is quite bad still. Which would be perfectly fine had Tesla really been upfront about it and just invited us on an adventure. Many of us would have happily taken that bait.

However, reconciling the Tesla/Elon marketing of AP2 in late 2016 - or even the comms on the updates of 2017 - with reality is a bitter pill to swallow. It seems obvious the public was misled in a bad way for business benefit.

This with all the other shenanigans from Tesla (counter gate, peak rate throttling, free SpC back and forth, constant quarter games) have pretty much resulted in me losing all respect for the company. From my feelings in 2014 that is a dramatic shift.

I still think the product shows great promise (both the car and AP2), as an objective observation, but the company behind it has proven to be pretty terrible - as another objective observation.

Couldn't have said it better.

Just caught between Scylla and Charybdis. Better hope for full autonomy so we can all stop spending so much on expensive products from terrible companies.