Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yeah I doubt if you paid $X for PPF/coating that on sale you'd get $X back because its on there..
I remember a very senior mercedes salesman checking if i was aware that the $20k of optionals i was about to order would surmount to nought at resale time. The best it would do is help it sell before others. (He was right)

Cannot imagine a paint protection invisible to anyone beyond a professional, would add any resale value whatsoever..

Reactions: Ormaus
You can always remove the PPF before you sell it and live a in the comfort of knowing you sold someone a second hand car with minimal dings and stone chips..

Imagine all the karma points you could rack up...

or yeah .. use the $X for something more important to you like unlocking boost on your LR and paying off all those speeding tickets. :cool:

although I did look into it after ordering my cars and bawked at the $6500 cost for each car - For $13K I could buy a decent bomb and drive IT instead of the tesla and prevent ALL those stonechips...

Last edited:
Hey all, ordered our M3 RWD red (cos it’s time for my mid-lifer crisis at the tender age of 38) two weeks ago and this forum has kept me sane as I try to patiently wait for my Feb-May 23 delivery date.

Just a question about the home charger, when did you install it? This is the only thing I think I can do right now to keep me occupied. 😜

Hey all, ordered our M3 RWD red (cos it’s time for my mid-lifer crisis at the tender age of 38) two weeks ago and this forum has kept me sane as I try to patiently wait for my Feb-May 23 delivery date.

Just a question about the home charger, when did you install it? This is the only thing I think I can do right now to keep me occupied. 😜
This will keep you occupied for a while - Videos to watch whilst waiting for delivery of your Tesla

Reactions: Robdunc
A good point of view I've heard before too. Personal choices, just dont forget to factor in the botherr arranging and time away from car for the repaint of the panel(s).

And yeah I doubt if you paid $X for PPF/coating that on sale you'd get $X back because its on there. It would be more subtle, the paint hasnt faded in the weather or there are no micro scratches in the paint so it looks 'nicer'.
Yes, agreed. Another thing in favour of doing it that mitigates the resale issue: The value of the car right now (not factoring in 2nd hand sale loss) is about $10+k over what I'm paying for it. Sinking some of that into the PPF, etc would be "covered" by the higher "starting" price. I also like the idea of it looking "nicer" for longer too. So, you can see why I am dithering. :)

I wouldn't rush, it'll just sit there as a constant reminder that your car still hasn't arrived yet. Better to keep the cost of the unit and installation in your bank account I reckon.

Anyone trading in an older Model S on their 3? What sort of offers are they seeing? Not expecting much, but just thought I'd ask...
I was looking at used Model S on the Tesla website and they had one available. I noted that the search only goes back to 2017, suggesting that they will simply pass your 2016 car to the trade and won’t try to re-sell it. This would suggest a fairly low trade value.

I think I've resigned myself to an October delivery at the earliest. Probably a Christmas present if truth betold!!!
it will be November definitely. Tesla produces and delivers in the same quarter. If they produce now I'm not entirely sure they can deliver all of them by end sept. They are better off doing for the domestic market

So they will do a production run in Oct and be delivered by november

Reactions: JustinFernleaf
Anyone trading in an older Model S on their 3? What sort of offers are they seeing? Not expecting much, but just thought I'd ask...
Out of interest I asked Tesla for a trade-in price at the time of ordering, and they offered $65k but dealer trade-in's are always below market, so I decided not to trade-in and keeping the Model S until the new S arrives.

• Informative
Reactions: aegidius
When my Model 3 SR+ arrived they actually included the mobile charge kit with it, so I had my garage charger installed about a week and a half after the car arrived. Also considering that most areas have some public charging options, you can probably get away without the mobile charge kit for a while.

I am torn between keeping my mobile charge kit from my current Model 3 and selling it with the car to be nice to whoever purchases it and purchasing another new one with the new car... Though I have plenty of time to figure it out :)

This will keep you occupied for a while

I am also spending an embarrassing amount of time zooming around PlugShare. It is just so interesting!

I initially started by checking out the Super and Fast Charger locations for practical reasons plus those chargers in my local area. Then the destination chargers caught my eye and I started looking up potential holiday locations. I then found the button to view only free chargers which then put me on the hunt for good places to go out for breakfast or lunch on the weekends with the intent of nabbing a free charge. Then I went completely off the rails and out in to the Australian Outback and check out all the extremely rural charge points, there are some amazing ones on there.

We have a holiday booked in April and I discovered on PlugShare it has an RAC charger (only AC though). That was an exciting find, I hadn't planned on taking the EV but we will be now :) Assuming it comes before then of course, it will be our first long trip in the car.

When my Model 3 SR+ arrived they actually included the mobile charge kit with it, so I had my garage charger installed about a week and a half after the car arrived. Also considering that most areas have some public charging options, you can probably get away without the mobile charge kit for a while.

I am torn between keeping my mobile charge kit from my current Model 3 and selling it with the car to be nice to whoever purchases it and purchasing another new one with the new car... Though I have plenty of time to figure it out :)
I'm assuming you're upgrading to an LR or P. Does the RWD become boring after awhile?