Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 keeps slightly improving in update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tested the last update I received (2018.6.1) and came to the conclusion that after the previous improvements, we have yet another slight improvement in stability. On my usual test route, it was rock solid when lines were disappearing left and right of the car, where it used to slightly adjust. And I also have ore confidence in its ability to recognise stopped traffic when approaching a traffic light, for example. Not the biggest improvements, but bit by bit (pun intended) we're getting there...

With rumours of an update in the neural net and more information on the dashboard I'm expecting a lot of enhancements coming in the very near future, which of course I'll be extensively testing!

Just tested the last update I received (2018.6.1) and came to the conclusion that after the previous improvements, we have yet another slight improvement in stability. On my usual test route, it was rock solid when lines were disappearing left and right of the car, where it used to slightly adjust. And I also have ore confidence in its ability to recognise stopped traffic when approaching a traffic light, for example. Not the biggest improvements, but bit by bit (pun intended) we're getting there...

With rumours of an update in the neural net and more information on the dashboard I'm expecting a lot of enhancements coming in the very near future, which of course I'll be extensively testing!

I also got the update (2018.6.1) today and agree it got much better compared to my previous version 2017.5x. Visible difference for AP is that now the display shows three lanes when on the Autobahn with multiple lanes and AP engaged. Also AP is clearly smoother, lane change works much better.... Like it!!

I also got the update (2018.6.1) today and agree it got much better compared to my previous version 2017.5x. Visible difference for AP is that now the display shows three lanes when on the Autobahn with multiple lanes and AP engaged. Also AP is clearly smoother, lane change works much better.... Like it!!

There are a number of people on different forums claiming to suddenly see the adjacent lanes. However, that has been the case since the start of AP2. You just don't see the cars in the other lanes except for during the auto lane change.

There are a number of people on different forums claiming to suddenly see the adjacent lanes. However, that has been the case since the start of AP2. You just don't see the cars in the other lanes except for during the auto lane change.

Hmm. I am pretty sure the adjacent lanes have not been visible all the time while the AP was engaged or at least not that visible - but maybe I am wrong. Does anybody here as screenshots?

Still I perceive a clearly improved AP performance - and thats great!

(blank) Adjacent lanes show up only on roads where AP2 allows auto lane change. What people might be claiming is that some of their roads are now marked differently to allow auto lane change when they previously did not, which leads to seeing the other lanes show up.

(blank) Adjacent lanes show up only on roads where AP2 allows auto lane change. What people might be claiming is that some of their roads are now marked differently to allow auto lane change when they previously did not, which leads to seeing the other lanes show up.

That is correct. But that would mean that road classification has changed now. Or they've opened up lane change to another road class. However, in Belgium, it still only works on highways. Whereas AP1 lane change works on almost any road over here.

@afrtown: in this video from december (so on 2017.44.X or something) the lines are clearly showing. I included the timestamp in the link so you immediately get to the part you wanted to see. Don't have older footage readily available...

That is correct. But that would mean that road classification has changed now. Or they've opened up lane change to another road class. However, in Belgium, it still only works on highways. Whereas AP1 lane change works on almost any road over here.

Same experience here in California — even in 2018.6.1, AP2 auto lane change is only allowed on restricted access highways (interstates, certain state routes and US highways). It's not allowed on county roads, expressways, etc. AP1 basically allowed it anywhere it could detect 2 lanes.

As far as I can tell, they didn't open up a new road class. I wonder if it is interpreting existing map data differently, or if around the same time they pushed out some new map tiles for some parts of the world.

My 2017 S90D AP2.0 2018.6.1 is hugging too far to the left again....and it disconnects more often than it was up until now. Also, I'm having phantom braking events on freeway drives using TACC (usually out in the open - not approaching overpasses, etc.) which I haven't had in many updates.
So, it seems to have slightly regressed again to me....

My 2017 S90D AP2.0 2018.6.1 is hugging too far to the left again....and it disconnects more often than it was up until now. Also, I'm having phantom braking events on freeway drives using TACC (usually out in the open - not approaching overpasses, etc.) which I haven't had in many updates.
So, it seems to have slightly regressed again to me....
How many miles do you have on the update? You may need to suffer for a few hundred miles to get it to calibrate.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
@The Duke - I've got about 350 miles on the 2018.6.1 update so far, and no changes....It always seems one step forward, one step back. I hope it cleans up after a few more miles, but it shouldn't have to re-calibrate after every update - the cameras and sensors are fixed, and the "updated" software algorithms should be using the millions of miles of data Tesla collects to "calibrate" before we ever drive the car. There should be coordination between what is displayed on the dash for the vehicle position, and the position AP puts the car in.
My display will show the car is not centered in the lane, and show all sorts of ultrasonic proximity warnings, and AP is unaffected by any of them. Seems AP should be using input from multiple sensors, instead of just the cameras, to assure a safer driving experience by now.
I'm looking forward to Elon's "threatened" massive system update / improvement as reported in Electrek last week (if it actually comes to pass)....we deserve it ;)

@The Duke - I've got about 350 miles on the 2018.6.1 update so far, and no changes....It always seems one step forward, one step back. I hope it cleans up after a few more miles, but it shouldn't have to re-calibrate after every update - the cameras and sensors are fixed, and the "updated" software algorithms should be using the millions of miles of data Tesla collects to "calibrate" before we ever drive the car. There should be coordination between what is displayed on the dash for the vehicle position, and the position AP puts the car in.
My display will show the car is not centered in the lane, and show all sorts of ultrasonic proximity warnings, and AP is unaffected by any of them. Seems AP should be using input from multiple sensors, instead of just the cameras, to assure a safer driving experience by now.
I'm looking forward to Elon's "threatened" massive system update / improvement as reported in Electrek last week (if it actually comes to pass)....we deserve it ;)

FWIW what Tesla learns from "millions" of cars still says little to nothing about the camera alignment on your car, and how your steering column / tire choices / brake wear affect the performance of your particular car. Just playing devil's advocate: There'll always be some degree of per-car training regardless of how much fleet data they do or do not collect.

Ugh...we still don't have a clear improvement over my 3 year old AP1 system.

I wish soon would come soon.

Now that AP1 works reliably, it's easy for forget how long it really took to get to this point. I've had my AP1 car just over 3 years, and here's how I remember Autopilot over this time:
  1. Year 1: crickets from Tesla, with lots of complaining from owners on when Autopilot would be enabled.
  2. Year 2: pretty unstable, and I found I had to disengage so often that I rarely used Autopilot. It was a cute feature to demo on "safe" roads, or in safe situations like stop-and-go traffic.
  3. Year 3: finally, in the past 12 months, I've found that Autopilot is very stable and useful. Now AP1 Autopilot is a joy to use, and I use it regularly on trips from Sunnyvale to L.A. and elsewhere.
So yes, AP1 hardware has been out for 3 years, but the software has really only reached maturity in the past 12 months. Sounds like AP2 is well ahead of this pace.

Now that AP1 works reliably, it's easy for forget how long it really took to get to this point. I've had my AP1 car just over 3 years, and here's how I remember Autopilot over this time:
  1. Year 1: crickets from Tesla, with lots of complaining from owners on when Autopilot would be enabled.
  2. Year 2: pretty unstable, and I found I had to disengage so often that I rarely used Autopilot. It was a cute feature to demo on "safe" roads, or in safe situations like stop-and-go traffic.
  3. Year 3: finally, in the past 12 months, I've found that Autopilot is very stable and useful. Now AP1 Autopilot is a joy to use, and I use it regularly on trips from Sunnyvale to L.A. and elsewhere.
So yes, AP1 hardware has been out for 3 years, but the software has really only reached maturity in the past 12 months. Sounds like AP2 is well ahead of this pace.

I'd agree with that. I mocked Tesla in year 1, test drove at year 2 and continued to mock Tesla while buying an Audi with adaptive cruise control.... but then by year 3, I test drove AP1 and had to eat my hat.... the same hardware went from a windshield ornament to the best lane holding + ACC system available on the market.

Relative to that, AP2 started from scratch rather than relying on almost a decade of work from a supplier, and in about a year it's basically functioning equivalently and the hardware seems capable of even more. This is what makes me an AP2 optimist. While I'll never agree with Tesla's irresponsible marketing of AP2 that borders on deceptiveness and foolish optimism, from strictly a technical/engineering standpoint, AP2 progress has been admirable.

I'd agree with that. I mocked Tesla in year 1, test drove at year 2 and continued to mock Tesla while buying an Audi with adaptive cruise control.... but then by year 3, I test drove AP1 and had to eat my hat.... the same hardware went from a windshield ornament to the best lane holding + ACC system available on the market.

Relative to that, AP2 started from scratch rather than relying on almost a decade of work from a supplier, and in about a year it's basically functioning equivalently and the hardware seems capable of even more. This is what makes me an AP2 optimist. While I'll never agree with Tesla's irresponsible marketing of AP2 that borders on deceptiveness and foolish optimism, from strictly a technical/engineering standpoint, AP2 progress has been admirable.

This gets my vote for most balanced, accurate, and reasonable view on Tesla and AP2.

Reactions: DIL
FWIW what Tesla learns from "millions" of cars still says little to nothing about the camera alignment on your car, and how your steering column / tire choices / brake wear affect the performance of your particular car. Just playing devil's advocate: There'll always be some degree of per-car training regardless of how much fleet data they do or do not collect.

I appreciate your point, except the devil is moot in this instance.

After the update was installed, the effects to my vehicle's functioning were significant and immediate. It would be reasonable, IMO, to assign the cause of those changes to the updated software, and not to any possible camera alignment / tire / steering column / brake issues, as their condition had not changed from prior to the update being installed. Additionally, my background as a custom car builder working on all aspects of vehicles for 40+ years keeps me acutely aware of the variables that can affect a vehicle's handling / performance, and I would assure you that the changes to my vehicle's performance in this instance are completely software-related.