Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing the AutoPilot 2.0 in software update 2018.4.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After receiving the update earlier this week, I went out and did my usual test round again. Hill tops are still an issue, although I've had some success with that. And maybe there is a slight improvement in tighter bends, but need a safer environment to let the car completely do it's thing without needing to take over to be sure. Will do that one of these days when there is no traffic around.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
After receiving the update earlier this week, I went out and did my usual test round again. Hill tops are still an issue, although I've had some success with that. And maybe there is a slight improvement in tighter bends, but need a safer environment to let the car completely do it's thing without needing to take over to be sure. Will do that one of these days when there is no traffic around.

I've noticed quite a bit of improvement from 4.1 to 4.5 however, there is slightly less centering on long curves while going higher speeds on highway

4.5 seems to be much better with late braking. More confident in city streets than 50.3, though there is more aggressive steering in 4.5 , auto park is better too, My car recognizes a parking space In the garage with another car in adjacent space

4.5 seems to be much better with late braking. More confident in city streets than 50.3, though there is more aggressive steering in 4.5 , auto park is better too, My car recognizes a parking space In the garage with another car in adjacent space

That's cool. Will presumably get 4.5 when I'm in the SC (for backup mirrors, visit #5) tomorrow. Auto-park almost never offers for me where I drive in Seattle and the curbs and roads are a total 3rd-world mess. It does, however, offer autopark in the middle of city streets all the time. :D

Looking forward to a more advanced EAP-based park and summons capability, but seems like that won't be until YE 2018 based on @Elon's comments (3-6 months (haha) for the coast-coast FSD demo, with EAP rolling out after that). OK, mid-2019, optimistically.

Thanks for the video @dknisely. If I may wish one thing for the next video, it would be a view on the IC to see speed and lane recognition.

Have you or has anyone else experienced autowiper pauses during auto lane changes by AP 2.0?
I was driving in moderate rain with autowipers enabled. The rain was heavy enough that autowipers set the wiping speed like on 3rd manual setting "Continuous, slow". But on auto lane changes the current wipe was finished and then there was a pause until auto lane change was completed. I couldn't say that it happened every time but often enough to notice.

In general I think autowipers improved in the 4.1 release but still lacks good rain recognition during night time or dark conditions.

Thanks for the video @dknisely. If I may wish one thing for the next video, it would be a view on the IC to see speed and lane recognition.

Have you or has anyone else experienced autowiper pauses during auto lane changes by AP 2.0?
I was driving in moderate rain with autowipers enabled. The rain was heavy enough that autowipers set the wiping speed like on 3rd manual setting "Continuous, slow". But on auto lane changes the current wipe was finished and then there was a pause until auto lane change was completed. I couldn't say that it happened every time but often enough to notice.

In general I think autowipers improved in the 4.1 release but still lacks good rain recognition during night time or dark conditions.

Haven't noticed that at all. But then again, usually when it rains hard enough for the wipers to work continuously, the auto lane change doesn't work that well... Will pay close attention next time it rains

I especially have problems with right curves on the freeways (I drive on Highway 280 in northern California). My last "test" run was at around 70 mph in the third lane. About half the time (6 of 12 curves) my 100D went far enough to the left on the right hand curve to encounter the lane marker "studs or bumps" signally the left wheels of the car were on the lane dividers. It is often enough that I will not leave autodrive on if there is a car coming up to me on the left hand side when entering a curve. Certainly a lot worse than the autodrive I had on my previous Model S (circa 2016 - second release of the car).

That's cool. Will presumably get 4.5 when I'm in the SC (for backup mirrors, visit #5) tomorrow. Auto-park almost never offers for me where I drive in Seattle and the curbs and roads are a total 3rd-world mess. It does, however, offer autopark in the middle of city streets all the time. :D

Looking forward to a more advanced EAP-based park and summons capability, but seems like that won't be until YE 2018 based on @Elon's comments (3-6 months (haha) for the coast-coast FSD demo, with EAP rolling out after that). OK, mid-2019, optimistically.

SC didn't give me a .4.x upgrade today. Dunno why; I didn't ask as the updates are so insignificant these days anyway.

I agree that there are small improvements, but on highway driving. Secondary roads are still not the primary target for AP. I actually made another video about why exactly the AutoPilot 2.0 fails at the points that I specifically test on my route. And those are the reasons I pick those spots too.

This weekend I received the update 2018.4.7. But it was when I least expected it that it surprised me. There is actually a noticeable improvement in the hard right-left section of my test route and it performs better in stopping for stopped traffic. This is only a small improvement, but a good one. Still a long way to go to get comfortable on secondary roads, but slowly we're getting there :).

Reactions: scottf200