Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a model y about a month ago. When using autopilot, if I make a slight steering adjustment, the steering jolts, and autopilot turns off. With a Toyota I drove recently, the lane keep assist allowed me to make a steering adjustment, and the system stayed on. I much prefer the Toyota system, and I suspect most cars work the same as Toyota. Does anyone else think this is a problem with Tesla autopilot? This has been very frustrating for me.

I purchased a model y about a month ago. When using autopilot, if I make a slight steering adjustment, the steering jolts, and autopilot turns off. With a Toyota I drove recently, the lane keep assist allowed me to make a steering adjustment, and the system stayed on. I much prefer the Toyota system, and I suspect most cars work the same as Toyota. Does anyone else think this is a problem with Tesla autopilot? This has been very frustrating for me.

Honestly, if the car is driving, you shouldn't be trying to steer.

I don't think it is problem. Just my opinion.

They are different approaches. The Toyota (bmw, etc) nudge the car towards the middle of the lane. They don’t take over. They also cannot follow all lane geometry and can drift out of the lane.

The Tesla approach is the car is in control. It can handle more roads/turns/etc, but if you move the wheel you take over.

Reactions: jjjord and iswimslo
They are different approaches. The Toyota (bmw, etc) nudge the car towards the middle of the lane. They don’t take over. They also cannot follow all lane geometry and can drift out of the lane.

The Tesla approach is the car is in control. It can handle more roads/turns/etc, but if you move the wheel you take over.
This is not true. Most newer systems have active lane centering/lane tracing now. Not just the “ping-ponging”of lane keep assistance systems from just a few years ago.

But yes this is one of the major annoyances with basic autopilot. Sometimes you want to shift over a little bit within your lane to avoid potholes or to give big vehicles in the next lane more space, but autopilot doesn’t let you without canceling autosteer. Same for lane changes, it will cancel autosteer and make you manually re-engage.

I rented a ‘23 Toyota Sienna for several days recently and I agree - I much preferred the Toyota’s steering behavior and interactions over our Teslas’ steering (have three, one with ap, one with eap and one with fsdb). However in curves, the Toyota was unable to stay in the lane if the g-forces were too strong and would start drifting out of its lane. My daily driver with FSDb does the same much to my annoyance but tolerates much higher g-forces before it starts drifting out of it’s lane.

-Paul

Honestly, if the car is driving, you shouldn't be trying to steer.

I don't think it is problem. Just my opinion.
I rather not steer. But when taking a curve or the lane adjusts, the Tesla crosses over outside its lane. That's when I need to take over. I have hardware 4. Is it possible that the auto steering is not working well now because of the hardware 4 and will improve over time?

I rented a ‘23 Toyota Sienna for several days recently and I agree - I much preferred the Toyota’s steering behavior and interactions over our Teslas’ steering (have three, one with ap, one with eap and one with fsdb). However in curves, the Toyota was unable to stay in the lane if the g-forces were too strong and would start drifting out of its lane. My daily driver with FSDb does the same much to my annoyance but tolerates much higher g-forces before it starts drifting out of it’s lane.

-Paul
Yes, it's a shame that your daily driver fsdb drifts out of its lane on some curves. It would be nice if Tesla allowed you to make the steering adjustment, did not jolt the car, and resumed auto steer on its own.

This is not true. Most newer systems have active lane centering/lane tracing now. Not just the “ping-ponging”of lane keep assistance systems from just a few years ago.

But yes this is one of the major annoyances with basic autopilot. Sometimes you want to shift over a little bit within your lane to avoid potholes or to give big vehicles in the next lane more space, but autopilot doesn’t let you without canceling autosteer. Same for lane changes, it will cancel autosteer and make you manually re-engage.
Yes, it would be nice if in these instances autopilot did not cancel auto steer nor produce the accompanying warning chimes and the chime when you re-engage. To me, this makes a minor steering adjustment into a bigger event that unnecessarily scares the driver and the passenger, especially when the car jolts along with the adjustment.

I rather not steer. But when taking a curve or the lane adjusts, the Tesla crosses over outside its lane. That's when I need to take over. I have hardware 4. Is it possible that the auto steering is not working well now because of the hardware 4 and will improve over time?

I guess my experience is different. I have traveled many thousands of miles with the car driving itself and it has never strayed outside the lane markings.

Reactions: FlyerDude
AP1, in the old days, let you nudge the car without breaking AP. By steadily applying force on the wheel, you could slightly steer the car a little within the lane.
When passing a truck that was a bit close, you could nudge almost all the way across the lane line on the side opposite the truck. If you saw a rough patch of road coming, you could nudge and stay off of it. If AP was following a pavement seam and not a faded paint line, you could nudge to center the car. This was an extremely useful ability in those and many other situations.
Then one day, you couldn't do this anymore. It's one of the regressions I dislike the most.

Reactions: QUBO and OxBrew
AP1, in the old days, let you nudge the car without breaking AP. By steadily applying force on the wheel, you could slightly steer the car a little within the lane.
When passing a truck that was a bit close, you could nudge almost all the way across the lane line on the side opposite the truck. If you saw a rough patch of road coming, you could nudge and stay off of it. If AP was following a pavement seam and not a faded paint line, you could nudge to center the car. This was an extremely useful ability in those and many other situations.
Then one day, you couldn't do this anymore. It's one of the regressions I dislike the most.
I was not aware of this. I wonder why Tesla moved in that direction. Hopefully they will reverse it.

No it isn't a "problem". Is it better or worse than other methods of lanekeeping, that is all up to the individual. Actually most cars don't necessarily "work the same as Toyota". There are pros and cons to everything...if you allow for steering inputs then the car also has to be able to re-adjust back after you let go. I have used systems that allow steering adjustments and then recover as well as systems that cannot recover. I don't think there is a perfect solution but personally I agree with you and would like to have a little bit of wiggle room to steer(for obstacle avoidance) and still be able to maintain AP when I let go again without having to reactivate. Is Tesla's system horrible and annoying in general use though(for me)...no.

So this is a more complicated issue and there are so many questions to be asked and answered to figure out where the issue really is....Not going to go down this rabbit hole of discussion too much, but does it cross the line all the time, sometimes, or rarely? Do you have dashcam video to show us what it is doing and in what scenarios?

The issue could be just a fluke sometimes, camera calibration issue, specific software version issue, the drivers fault due to how things can be manipulated while on AP that cause the system to not act properly, or a combination of any/all of the above as well as other unknowns.

I would say and agree with others that it will improve over time as that is Tesla's whole business model. Other manufacturers are now starting to folow an OTA methodology but historically what you bought is what you get unless they make an update where you had to bring the car in for service to be updated which is still the case for most vehicles at this point.