Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re getting a lot of forward collision alerts I think it’s time to look at your driving style.
Posts like this are really not helpful because if people drove in a reckless manner they are hardly likely to advertise that fact and they would know the reason why they are getting the alerts and wouldn't post that up would they? - so when someone posts that they are experiencing lots of collision alerts then you need to look a bit deeper.

I know - and I suspect @Fursty Ferret knows that the introduction of a vision only system has resulted in changes to how the cars technology handles everyday situations and it does seem that not all people experience the same problems, but in a thread that's titled "Autopilot is getting worse" then its inviting people to document their issues.

I know exactly what @Pagemakers is saying because I experience it too, I've had my M3P for just over two and a half years, I have a section of road near me that always produces the alert - but only for the last couple of months whereas for over two years the collision alert never sounded at that same spot, I know how to defeat the warning - by lightly pressing the foot brake - I presume this is telling the car I'm aware and taking action to prevent a collision - even though there is no collision imminent and I'm traveling at low speed as its approaching a mini roundabout - the section of road has a small island in the middle of the road, cars are parked on the left and the road has a kink to it - it kinks left where the island is and immediately to the right and within 20 yards is the mini roundabout. I understand why it alerts but as Pagemakers has said, its a result of software/hardware changes - and not, driving like a twat, which is what you infer.

Nope. Because if you read my post it’s ONLY ONLY ONLY happened since vision only. For the last SEVEN years of previous ownership it’s never been an issue.
Mine is set on medium and I hardly ever get them, and the last one was a genuine warning as someone pulled out in front of me at a roundabout.

It apparently uses the cabin camera to assess how much attention you're paying to the road, so if it thinks you aren't looking then you'll get earlier warnings.

Cyclists coming towards you on other side of road that is curved to your right seems to be a common false alert trigger.

I guess it thinks cyclists are going to go straight across the road in front of you rather than following the curve of the road.

I agree though, false alerts are common now where as they use to be rare.

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
I think you should be raising a service request. There's something wrong. We have an MX and MY, and I almost never get false alarms. Had one genuine event in probably the last three months. If you are having so many, I am sure you will have been saving the events to share with Tesla.

I’m convinced there is nothing “wrong” with my car.

Different cars. Some vision only from production. Some software updated to vision only and some too old for vision only.

My experiences are the same as 60% of the replies on this thread.

I have spent weeks/ months with Tesla a couple of years ago regarding phantom braking to absolutely ZERO improvement.

It isn’t MY car at fault.

Mine is set on medium and I hardly ever get them, and the last one was a genuine warning as someone pulled out in front of me at a roundabout.

It apparently uses the cabin camera to assess how much attention you're paying to the road, so if it thinks you aren't looking then you'll get earlier warnings.
My internal camera, one behind rear view mirror, is blocked by me :) so good luck

Cyclists coming towards you on other side of road that is curved to your right seems to be a common false alert trigger.

I guess it thinks cyclists are going to go straight across the road in front of you rather than following the curve of the road.

I agree though, false alerts are common now where as they use to be rare.
For me it was car parked on my lane, especially if it is facing me with front of the car..
And neighbors car parked on small estate' T junction

It isn’t MY car at fault.

No (although I suppose an outside chance that there is a calibration problem ... unlike that is "everyone" though), but it might be related to your choice of settings. That said I would expect Tesla to be able to analysis who-has-what-settings and spot any trends - although, to do that, they probably need a "How satisfied with AP are you" to know which owners / settings to review.

But, there may be another reason.

All my long journeys are in MS, I use the MY for short journeys (and an M3 before that). I turn on AP in all sorts of conditions, just to see how it behaves, but my actual real-world long distance usage of AP is in an MS.

So that would be different to majority (and I have no idea if Tesla have stopped using some sensors on e.g. MY but have not (yet ...) on MS

@WannabeOwner Funnily enough, I was about to write a similar post. Our MY occasionally misbehaves. Phantom braking, but it's improved significantly over the past year. Our 2019 MX is really good. Of late, I have done several 100 mile+ runs in the MX with Autopilot driving pretty much the whole way, changing lanes, managing traffic, etc. No phantom braking incidents in the MX at all. It feels like the MX is still utilising all the hardware.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
If you don’t change your settings in 4 years, yet behaviour changes dramatically, either something else changed the settings, or something changed in the software. I’ll rule out something changed in hardware as it would be unusual for everyone’s hardware to suddenly change… oh wait …