Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot steering wheel hack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last I checked, my S nag shows up every 11 seconds if I don't keep torque on the wheel. It's annoying as I can't simply relax my hand on the wheel like normal people do when driving.

I'm going to look into a weight just so that I can drive normally again. It's actually less fatiguing to drive with AP off.
It’s distanced-based, not time based. Approximately every half mile. This explains why different people see different times.

Damn, I didn't think that many people were trying to circumvent the nag. One's stance on the dangers involved withstanding, if you are already paying attention to your surroundings and the road, what additional effort is there in resting ones arm/hand on the wheel? Nearly no effort, and I'm a lazy f**ker. I find just holding the wheel a little below the 9 or 3 o'clock positions on one side while resting your arm on the door or center arm rest works great. I recently took a long road trip from TX to NV and back, and the nags were very much kept to a minimum. I'd guess I got nagged less than 10 times the entire drive that spanned something like 9 days. Just by having your hands on the wheel, you often satisfy the system so it doesn't feel the need to nag you. Take the hands off, and yeah you get nagged constantly.

The new nag frequency (maybe a few months old) is so high that I think we're going to see more people trying to defeat it. Since 2017 I never minded the nag, but now it drives me crazy. I keep my hand on the wheel all the time, but sometimes I let my hand get too much toward the 6 o'clock position and I get nagged. I had a 700 mile drive this past weekend and for the first time I thought about a defeat mechanism because it's a PITA.

I wish there was a way Tesla could wiggle the wheel and detect your hand on the wheel instead of requiring the driver to constantly apply torque to the wheel.

Reactions: boonedocks
so using a ziplock and mini weights I think I figured the minimum weight to make AP2 stop complaining to touch the wheel. I’ll now build a piece to nicely hug the side of the steering wheel and sew it together.

Anyone ever tried a permanent solution that’s not a bottle of water or an orange to the steering column?

The way I see it’s my car, it’s a free country, I should be able to shut that down and take responsibility for it as I am regardless if I crash.

...that's from your perspective...what about the folks you crash into? Even harder...would you still think like this meeting someone you maimed for life?

That hurt to read.

amazing people like thi
Nailed it.

Yeah yeah I know, it's your car you stay awake, you're paying attention, yada yada yada.

But what you may not realize is the system is already further limited because other owners boasted online as to how they were defeating nags. If you think NHTSA and others don't pay attention, then (no offense, but) you're not paying attention. If you think you're going to win this game of 'how to defeat nags', your victory is only temporary. And we will all have to live with additional controls as a result.

I don't really care what you do unless it impacts me. And owners posting stuff like this will impact me and force regulators to put more controls in place. So I am not appreciating your *creativity*.

File under 'This is why we cannot have nice things'.

I think there's a subreddit 'idiots in cars'....right?

would you still pay attention if the torque requirement wasn't there?

I use the autopilot balancer on the steering wheel on road trips and I am definitely more attentive to the road than if the nag was there.

With the nag, I'm constantly monitoring for the flashing lights on the IC. Without the nag, I'm actually focused on the road.

Not a huge difference either way, but I prefer no nag.

I have recently tried a small weight on the wheel and it is amazingly better. I used to have to pay more attention to the binnacle watching for “hold ten wheel message” than the road ahead of me Now I can devote all of my attention to the road...much more safe for my personal situation than no weight.

to be honest...my commute has such long stretches of straightaways that it I would go sailing across 6 lanes of traffic if AutoSteer wasn’t engaged and still applying the amount of torque required to keep the error message at bay...

What is the penalty for using these devices? If you crashed and one was found in your car in the UK you could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention and your insurance would void your policy.

would you still pay attention if the torque requirement wasn't there?
Yes. I can't speak for others but I keep my hand on the wheel all the time and it doesn't stop the nags, so I use a device. If Tesla had implemented a better design that could detect my hand on the wheel I wouldn't get any nags at all but due to the poor design I use a device.

I actually feel safer when I drive this way because without the device I'm constantly having to look at my screen to see if it's prompting me to apply torque, which means looking down at the screen every few seconds instead of paying attention to the road like I do with when I use the device.

Cadillac's Super Cruise uses cameras to make sure you're looking at the road instead of requiring you to constantly apply torque to the wheel, I wouldn't say that's any less safe than Tesla's system even though you don't have to touch the wheel at all with Super Cruise.

Yes. I can't speak for others but I keep my hand on the wheel all the time and it doesn't stop the nags, so I use a device. If Tesla had implemented a better design that could detect my hand on the wheel I wouldn't get any nags at all but due to the poor design I use a device.

I actually feel safer when I drive this way because without the device I'm constantly having to look at my screen to see if it's prompting me to apply torque, which means looking down at the screen every few seconds instead of paying attention to the road like I do with when I use the device.

Cadillac's Super Cruise uses cameras to make sure you're looking at the road instead of requiring you to constantly apply torque to the wheel, I wouldn't say that's any less safe than Tesla's system even though you don't have to touch the wheel at all with Super Cruise.
100% this
hand-with-one-finger-pointing-up-line-icon-hand-vector-23687802.jpg

Reactions: Cheburashka