Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot trains drivers to forget to steer . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the early days of AP, I did this once or twice (car steered out of lane because I thought AP was on when it was only TACC).

But ever since 8.0 software release in September 2016 which enforced hands-on-wheel at all times, I haven't had this problem.

1. I know it's probably not common, but I actually always have a hand on the wheel when AP is engaged. I never let go of it anymore.

2. When not on AP, I use 3 and 9 o'clock hand positions, feet on accelerator pedal and dead pedal.

3. When on AP, I use left hand at 9 o'clock with left elbow resting on door sill, right foot off pedal, on floor near both accelerator and brake.

This keeps me in a "mode aware" condition.

I love autopilot and use it for most of my driving miles. However, twice now I have found myself on the rumble strips due to being distracted for a few seconds while assuming autopilot was engaged when in fact it was not. Has anyone else caught themselves doing this? What is the solution? Lately I've intentionally stopped using autopilot for hours at a time in order to keep my autonomous senses used to steering. It scares me that I could kill myself or others simply due to the fact that I thought autopilot was steering when it was not. Thoughts? Solutions?

That has never happened to me. If it did, it would mean I wasn't looking at the road. I use auto pilot to fiddle with stuff like plugging my phone in or moving one mug out for the other in the cup holders.

....what's the point again? Seems the only benefits of AP are only reaped when you are defying the disclaimers you have to agree to before activating it.

I had the same feeling before trialing AP. The self-adjusting cruise control advantage was obvious, but auto-steer seemed kind of worthless. However, I have found that for long highway trips, of which I do a lot, using AP is a big stress reliever. I arrive far less exhausted, and find I am more vigilant about the behaviors of the drivers around me since I don't have to maintain such a high level of focus on my own steering wheel. I always keep one hand on the wheel...most convenient place for it, really

Reactions: GSP
Yes, it has. And if one isn't careful, you might

POKE 53281, 0

I love autopilot and use it for most of my driving miles. However, twice now I have found myself on the rumble strips due to being distracted for a few seconds while assuming autopilot was engaged when in fact it was not. Has anyone else caught themselves doing this? What is the solution? Lately I've intentionally stopped using autopilot for hours at a time in order to keep my autonomous senses used to steering. It scares me that I could kill myself or others simply due to the fact that I thought autopilot was steering when it was not. Thoughts? Solutions?

My approach:

HIGHWAY:
Long stretches of highway with limited traffic: always relaxed AP driving with feet comfortable

Medium traffic driving at speed: vigilant AP driving

Rush hour at speed: vigilant TACC

Rush hour stop and go: manual unless there is slow/stable driving speed and then I use AP

AROUND TOWN:
Usually Vigilant AP using stalk to slow down in advance at oncoming stop lights.

What's the point of cruise control?

Autopilots on airplanes have the same benefit: they reduce the physical demand of operation.

And seem to increase the mental demand for some people. I've read on here quite a few owners that plain refuse to use AP (despite paying for it) and refuse to be a beta tester for Tesla due to safety concerns using the feature.

The point of cruise control is exactly as you typed above....to reduce the physical demand of operating your car. Unlike AP, you aren't lulled into a false sense of security and start playing with your phone like this Utah owner (and countless others) did. Yes, of course AP or not, tons of people will be driving with their eyes glued to their phones regardless. But seems to me that Tesla has an issue with owners that do not understand the limitations of AP fully and use it thinking it is a kind of "self driving" when really all it is is glorified cruise control. Maybe if it was called ANYTHING else other than "Autopilot", some of these owners at least wouldn't get lulled into thinking it's self driving and pay more attention.

I have a feeling if Tesla doesn't implement some kind of hardware that tracks eye movement of their owners while using AP and/or rename Autopilot, the government is going to attempt to remedy the situation themselves and force their hands. I understand why Elon didn't want to install extra hardware at the behest of the Tesla engineers, because retrofitting tens of thousands of cars with the necessary hardware would be a huge hit to the corporate wallet.

I guess it is much better to use AP when texting on the phone than texting while driving normally...
But to the topic, yes, it has happened to me.
I think the surveillance system is to blame - you cant hold too hard in the wheel, because it will suddenly disengage AP. You need to let the car steer itself. (my car at least). If we could steer as much as we liked while AP was active, and change lanes manually without disengaging, this would give us a different interaction with the system - that could maybe encourage more attentiveness also.

Plus the screen behind the steering wheel has the lane markers lit up blue AND the blue steering wheel icon turned on when Autopilot is engaged.

True, but I think the screen changes need to be much more obvious - maybe like a video game when you grab one of the powerups and the whole screen gets tinted or turns negative:

Autopilot off:

press01_autopilot_dash.jpg

Autopilot on:

press01_autopilot_dash (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
I change how I hold the wheel as a way to subconsciously remind myself whether or not AP is active. Without AP, hands are at 10 and 2, foot is on the pedals. With AP active, one hand at top center of the wheel, foot off the pedals. So far I've never had confusion with the state of AP.
I've always done the same thing: different hand positioning for autopilot and regular driving. Regular driving is both hands on the wheel, 11 and 3 for me. Autopilot is one hand only, elbow on armrest, hand on wheel at 4 o'clock. Even so, I notice that while self-driving I glance away from the road a fraction of a second longer than I did pre-AP when fiddling with the audio, looking at the map, etc. It's a bad habit from using AP that I know I must be on the watch for.

I change how I hold the wheel as a way to subconsciously remind myself whether or not AP is active. Without AP, hands are at 10 and 2, foot is on the pedals. With AP active, one hand at top center of the wheel, foot off the pedals. So far I've never had confusion with the state of AP.
Not sure if it's something you've considered, but keeping any part of your body over the airbag is extremely dangerous.

Reactions: David29 and Nikxice
Correct position is 3 and 9. Provides the maximum leverage for controlling the wheel, and keeps your limbs farthest away from the airbag.

Agreed, 3 and 9 gives you maximum control and isn't as tiring as 10 and 2.

I'm also an advocate for actively discouraging people from gripping the wheel anywhere on the bottom -- between 4 and 8. Gripping the wheel there increases the chances that you will jerk the wheel the wrong direction in an emergency situation.