Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot upgrade price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my Tesla 60D about a month ago, and when I ordered it in, I didn't purchase autopilot upgrade. I figured that I can always add it later if I need it. My trial for the autopilot expired just yesterday. Now the issue is that when I ordered my car, and when I spoke with sales people, and even when I got the initial email for autopilot trial, they all quoted me $3000 to add it permanently. However, the email from yesterday about autopilot beta completion stated a new price of $3500. I know autopilot prices has been raised for new cars, but it feels a bit like false advertisement to me. I called service center and asked them why I can't add autopilot on my own through the site and if they would honor previous price I was quoted. I was told that Tesla removed self-service autopilot upgrade from their website about 2-3 weeks ago, and they will not honor the old price.
Anyone in the same boat as I am? Were you able to get Tesla to honor the old price? If so - how? While $500 is not that much money, it's more of a principle to me. I don't really need autopilot all that much, I used it about twice in my month of trial, and didn't find it all that useful for my driving habits. The only two features that I found very useful are autopark (nice to have, but I can park on my own, especially since autopark doesn't seem to care at all about cars driving around you, so it's a bit hazardous to use) and intelligent high beams. High beams I use all the time, since I live in the area without street lights and drive in the evening every day. Still paying $3500 for automatic high beams is a bit of an overkill in my mind. I would've bought autopilot at the originally quoted price, just because it's a cool feature to have, but this whole raising of pricing without honoring previous quotes makes me stop and think twice about it.

I think a few people got the old price retroactively. But most of them had cars on order at the time and did it right after the price went up. (So they had some leverage as they could have cancelled the car purchase over it).

Now that the new price has been in effect for a month, I doubt you will have much luck.

I'm inclined to feel as ivolodin does and that when prices change (even for unactivated features), existing owners should be grandfathered into the price they were offered when they bought their cars. That said, it is a gray area. I agree that Tesla should have been allowed to change the price for service intervals, extended warranties, etc. until you buy them, so it is hard to say they cannot change the activation price of some unactivated function. I would hope Tesla reads this and decides to honor the previous price, but I shudder to think of the precedent it would set that if you turn around and want to activate the last 15 kWh of battery capacity, maybe they will turn around and say it is $20k now instead of $13k like when you bought the car.

Reactions: davidc18
I'm inclined to feel as ivolodin does and that when prices change (even for unactivated features), existing owners should be grandfathered into the price they were offered when they bought their cars. That said, it is a gray area. I agree that Tesla should have been allowed to change the price for service intervals, extended warranties, etc. until you buy them, so it is hard to say they cannot change the activation price of some somewhere function. I would hope Tesla reads this and decides to honor the previous price, but I shudder to think of the precedent it would set that if you turn around and want to activate the last 15 kWh of battery capacity, maybe they will turn around and say it is $20k now instead of $13k like when you bought the car.

I think that anything you didn't buy when you purchased the car is fair game for price increases (or maybe even price decreases) afterwards. Including battery upgrades.

I guess think about it this way: If Tesla LOWERED the battery upgrade price for new owners (due to market forces, whatever), but then wanted to grandfather old owners into the higher price, you certainly wouldn't want to be grandfathered then.

Reactions: JClu and Cyclone
I am sure there is a sentence somewhere that says they reserve the right to change the price without notice.

I'm not saying that Tesla is doing something illegal, and that they can't change the price. Just saying that it's usually a good way to keep a customer happy by allowing lower price when there was a price hike and customer was quoted lower price before. As I said, autopilot is not a huge deal for me personally, I can live without it and not feel any discomfort. So if they will not honor the old price, I'm just not going to purchase an upgrade (at least for a while).

Reactions: davidc18
I have a decision matrix to chose FA or not.

FA will be more expensive after activation. Since it will be a year or maybe more before it can be used, its a wise decision to hold off on it.

HOWEVER, Tesla can go:

1 - We now double the price for FA. You didn't support it at the start. The market value of investing in FA at that time was 5k. Today it is 10K And we are banking you affluent Tesla owners would pay the 10k now.

I am sure there is a sentence somewhere that says they reserve the right to change the price without notice.
Most every business prices subject to change without notice. Sometimes, companies will offer a 30 day prices protection on durable goods where if the prices are reduced within 30 days they will refund the difference. Without some sort of written agreement or published policy the company is not obligated to give prior purchasers the old price. One could always ask and whine a little and see if you can get any mileage out of that but it's not likely.

It was likely because they were transitioning to HW2 and now that HW2 is still not in parity with AP1 and won't be for some time, they want some of your money again. It would've been heartening to hear Tesla had instead decided to take care of you and give you the price they led you to believe would be your upgrade price....

Really no different from the HPWC in the store. You don't expect it to always be the same for the life of the car.

Of course, it went down,, so that's less of an issue :)

Price of service contract or extended warranty is not guaranteed until purchased.

I do think it is misleading that they show a price "after delivery" w/o saying "$500 over market price at time of upgrade" or "after delivery is $xxx, may change without notice" clearly.

Reactions: whitex
Well, the issue is Tesla employees told him one thing and Tesla did another. Clearly Tesla can change its prices but it shouldn't have employees telling customers one thing and then doing another and then not honoring their employee's statements (when it costs the company a measly $500).

Well, the issue is Tesla employees told him one thing and Tesla did another. Clearly Tesla can change its prices but it shouldn't have employees telling customers one thing and then doing another and then not honoring their employee's statements (when it costs the company a measly $500).

I agree with you. I'm only pointing out that the Tesla rep could have been reading the info right off the web page. The disclaimer should be more clear if the "future upgrade price" isn't guaranteed.