Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery is big disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon also never said anything about beating the Bolt's range. Elon and Tesla don't care about the Bolt, they are competing with luxury cars like the BMV 3-Series and Mercedes C-Class. You're the one who keeps mentioning the Bolt which no one who wants a Tesla cares about.
Like I've said previously you have to actually read my comments my friend.
Elon Musk on Tesla/Panasonic’s new 2170 battery cell: ‘highest energy density cell in the world…that is also the cheapest’

I didn't put words in Elon's mouth ... see the article. There's a direct quote from Elon regarding the new battery capacity and price.
You should read the article and see how it doesn't mention either the Model 3 or the Bolt which you insist on bringing up on this thread. So you are putting what he said about batteries in general and applying it to the Model 3 vs. the Bolt. That's the textbook example of putting words in other people's mouth.

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK
How much $ was the option that makes the Bolt not ugly anymore? And how much extra do you have to pay to not have to deal with a Car Stealership to get one?

The only Bolts we've seen here in this town are specced out to near $40k or well over. They're still ugly.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Right now Chevy is actually having trouble selling the bolt and they're losing money on each one. The bolt only has two real advantages, one is that it is available now and the other is the real world price is lower. As much as I hate dealing with automotive dealerships , most people pay less then the retail price and the federal rebate is going to last longer at Chevy. When you look at the wAys that the M3 beats the bolt it seems almost laughable that anyone would buy the bolt after seeing the M3.

What were your thoughts on the 3 having 100kWh batteries and 400 mile range?
If another module was stacked in the back under the passenger seat or the battery itself was extended in some fashion it could definitely fit 100 kWh in some way. It wouldn't fit with the current flat battery design between the motors as is though, especially with no module stacking like you see on the S.

Reactions: Cloxxki
You should read the article and see how it doesn't mention either the Model 3 or the Bolt which you insist on bringing up on this thread. So you are putting what he said about batteries in general and applying it to the Model 3 vs. the Bolt. That's the textbook example of putting words in other people's mouth.
Can you quote me where I said anything of the sort? Didn't think so.

Here's a recap of the conversation:
what do all you guys expect for 35k??? its not an s model ans thats that.

Many expected a range that meets or beats a Bolt for $35k as the Bolt is $36.6 MSRP

To be more precise, they expected Elon's ego to somehow "make it happen" to offer more for everyone. Just because Bolt got launched earlier, for a few month, Model 3 had to beat it in price as well as range.

Exactly, especially while bragging about having the lowest cost highest capacity cells in the industry.

After this you make an assumption that that Elon was speaking about a Bolt for some reason:

If you drive a Bolt, you are not bragging to anyone.

We are speaking about the disappointment many felt after assuming that the base Model 3 would beat the Bolts range based on Elon's ego and that Tesla supposedly has the cheapest and high energy density cells.

Last edited:
Elon Musk on Twitter

Ye of little faith. That was a cute way of saying it without saying it.

Does the Model 3 beat the bolt in mileage? Yep. Good job Elon.

Elon Musk hints that the Tesla Model 3 will have more range than the Chevy Bolt