Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery is big disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everybody on this board and every other board thought the base would come in higher than 220 miles, so there is some disappointment there.

Not everyone. Just people who were speculating based on hopeful wishing and not any facts. Tesla said 218 as a minimum and 220 is more than 218. Why would they make their cheaper vehicle have better range than their flagship?

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
True, but we are talking EVs. If just looking at pure range/$ at around or under the $30k price point after tax credit.
Think: broke environmentalist hippies who think GMOs are the devil and need longer range than a leaf can provide (and love hatchbacks). Like people from Portland, OR.

My wife is from Portland, so I'm allowed to make that joke ;)

Hey now. Portland resident here, born and raised. I take offense to that! Just kidding, I saw a woman dressed as a mermaid biking around town this morning and didn't even flinch.

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde and JeffK
Not if you add in the missing and mandatory ~$1,000 destination/delivery fee to the Model 3's $35,000 price. That fee is already baked into the Bolt EV price used in the chart.

And, the Bolt offers four paint shades between white and black and three optional premium colors for an extra $395 whereas the Model 3's base price only includes the generally unpopular color of black and every other color is $1,000 more.

Tue. However the Model 3 has NAV, but the Bolt has more cargo room, but the 3 has larger wheels, etc... etc...

My point was to compare the battery/charging features as closely as possible... as that's a common set of items that people are largely interested in with EV's.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
I sure hope so. I don't have a Model 3 reservation but if they do this I'll order my Model S straight away. I'm in no hurry so for now I'm prepared to play the wait and see game until spring of next year.
Just to be 100% clear... changing the battery type alone will not dramatically increase range. The reason the Model 3 has more range than the Model S at the same capacities is that it's lighter, smaller, and more aerodynamic. If anything, you might get some weight savings but it's not going to matter at highway speeds.

Just to be 100% clear... changing the battery type alone will not dramatically increase range. The reason the Model 3 has more range than the Model S at the same capacities is that it's lighter, smaller, and more aerodynamic. If anything, you might get some weight savings but it's not going to matter at highway speeds.
Model 3 is NOT more aerodynamic than Model S. Model 3 has a higher drag ratio than Model S. The difference in weight appears to have made all the difference.

120kg extra for ~22kWh seems like quite a bit. The outer pack is included in the standard car. Mostly cells are added to make it a long range car. Very maybe 2 or 3 modules. Actually with such a big difference with "the most energy dense cells on the market" I am inclined to think the standard car will have for instance 5 full modules or 6 partly full, 2 modules left out, and the long range 8 more or less modules.
1730kg for the long range (say 75kWh) is only 13% lower than Model S75. TBH, I expected a bit heavier, 3 being so cost focused.

What snippets of info are you basing this on? The official curb weight difference between SR and LR is 120kg. Looks like extra modules to me. Say, 5 modules of ~10.5kWh for the SR, 8 modules for the LR. Possiby one with fewer cells, or simply some extra capacity to play with on the LR pack which is so well paid (~$400/kWh for the upgrade alone, 3-4x cost).
SR could also be 6 modules each with a few cells less than fits, LR 8 very full modules of ~9.5kWh each.
Wouldn't the extra weight of the LR model be due to more than just the larger battery? It comes with the premium package, which includes motorized seats and a bunch of other stuff that could potentially add to the weight. Or are options like that not included when calculating weight?

Also, am I the only one who sees "T3" and thinks:
giphy.gif

I don't think either of those things are a fact.
Premium package might have its own added weight, but I can't imagine it's implied in the LR car not the SR one in such stats. LR starts at $44K they say. Premium comes on top. Even if that's the only they seem to be making right now. 49-50K cars depending on color. $51,500 with the wheels. Nearly $60K with self driving.

Don't know why people are so disappointed in getting what was promised

$35,000 car that delivered on the specs that was laid out -- and getting earlier than the P+D folk, so that's a win too.
>215 miles on single charge, <6.0 sec 0-60MPH

No promise of bigger battery (yet delivered on this -- yes, at a premium, but so are larger batteries on S/X too)
No promise of cheaper AP2 -- same cost as S/X -- same tech- should cost the same .

It is a bummer that the PUP is all bundled into a single option at $5000 -- but the amount of those upgrades is actually cheaper than a la carte from prior packages -- so that's a win for fully loaded folks.

Tesla could have simply done the P+D+Battery+loaded and ask 70k --- they didn't -- it's a compromised balance for all folk

Reactions: EinSV and mhan00