Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just my personal experience, but given the current options I would recommend checking out Carbotech. They have several compounds available depending on what you are looking for and they are priced very reasonably. Get in touch with Martian Wheels if you are interested.

I am fairly confident the pads from Tesla will be overpriced and underwhelming. Back when there were no other options available, I had to buy another set of stock performance pads for the rear and they were $300. They lasted 3 days.

And if you are concerned about NVH, don't be. I've run Hawk DTC-70's, Raybestos ST-47, RB XT-970, and Carbotech RP2. None have ever squeaked, squealed, or otherwise been annoying. Thank you regenerative braking!
I'm running XP10s in my car at this moment. ;)

The only reason I'm interested in Tesla's upgraded pads is that if they want to sell them in Europe they have to have an EU creditation (R90) and there are some owners who are very reluctant to do anything which might cause them an issue with insurance, warranty, leasing company etc etc.

I don't give a stuff. I just use whatever works best.

Reactions: MasterC17
I wonder if the Tesla pads will go for sale separate of the package

From a market positioning perspective, Tesla "track" pad will be way more street-oriented than 3rd party streetable track pads. The internet will be filled with complaints of brake noise, squeals, dust about Tesla "track" pad if it deviates too much from the current stock pads.

IMHO, it is not worthwhile waiting for the Tesla track pad.

I feel that, lol!

The amount of $ I have spent so far could have gone a long way toward a new 2019 CTR or a used Alfa C4. However, I would not have the space or a good explanation to my better half about the extra car. I'll keep my membership in the Underground Upgrade Club, UUC. And practice the art of don't ask and don't tell. ;) Oh, honey, you look lovely with that shoe (new shoe).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: destructure00
Carbotech RP2. None have ever squeaked, squealed, or otherwise been annoying. Thank you regenerative braking!
I did a little googling.

From Subispeed.com
Carbotech RP2 compound was engineered for endurance racing based on the highly successful XP Series formulations. The RP2 is the longest lasting compound Carbotech offers, nearly twice as long in our experience with a vehicle weight approximately 2600-2800 lbs.

Compared to the XP12, the RP2 has a bit less bite and a little less modulation, but still maintains the rotor friendliness of the XP series compounds. With a good initial bite and one of the most consistent torque curves in the market the RP2 compound is easy to keep a consistent bite and torque throughout the braking zone.

Great fade resistance with a temperature range of 250F to 1650F+ (121C to 898C). Carbotech RP2 is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise.

The RP2 should be relabeled as XP11LL. Ode to BMW LL, aka long life. ;)

I did a little googling.

From Subispeed.com
Carbotech RP2 compound was engineered for endurance racing based on the highly successful XP Series formulations. The RP2 is the longest lasting compound Carbotech offers, nearly twice as long in our experience with a vehicle weight approximately 2600-2800 lbs.

Compared to the XP12, the RP2 has a bit less bite and a little less modulation, but still maintains the rotor friendliness of the XP series compounds. With a good initial bite and one of the most consistent torque curves in the market the RP2 compound is easy to keep a consistent bite and torque throughout the braking zone.

Great fade resistance with a temperature range of 250F to 1650F+ (121C to 898C). Carbotech RP2 is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise.

The RP2 should be relabeled as XP11LL. Ode to BMW LL, aka long life. ;)

That is exactly why I got the RP2, I like long-lasting pads!

Has anyone used DS2500 pads only on the front? I have a friend thinking of doing this.

I’ve used DS2500 with my Mini Cooper S on track and street. Works great for that little car, 2600lbs. Not sure it will hold up on track in the front with 4000lbs. Ferodo DS1.11 is on my radar of pad to try with my next round of brake work, if Endless EX99 don’t cut it.

I concur with @MasterC17 XT970 for the rear seems to be a good enough solution.

Here is the information on the weight.

Arms (saving)
Stock / MPP
- Spring arm - 2880g / 1724g (1156g)
- Rear fore upper arm - 788g / 632g (156g)
- Rear fore lower arm - 948g / 798g (150g)

I didn't measure the toe or camber arms. They were installed in 2019.

Spring Setup (per side)
Stock+rubber isolator / MPP AWD Sports+rubber isolator+height adjuster / New Spring+height adjuster
- 3462g / 3904g / 2336g (vs stock 1126g / vs MPP sports coil 1568g)

Total savings of 6060g off the rear. For those interested in imperial units, the saving is 13.33lbs.

Last edited by a moderator: