Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been noticing my Blackvue 650GW-2CH occasionally reboots for no apparent reason. happens randomly, maybe once every few days, or maybe once a week, or two. I don't see any consistent pattern.

The only reason I notice is that either I see the WiFi light on when it was off prior (I normally turn WiFi off manually and keep it off, although I have it set to turn on automatically upon boot up), or sometimes when I'm driving I'll hear the "Blackvue for your safety" voice prompt that you get on restart. When I then check the files, everything seems to be recording normally, no unexpected events that might coincide with the reboot.

anybody else seen this? I have the dashcam powered by constant 12V. I'm wondering if it maybe reboots automatically when the card (128GB) fills and automatically recycles some space?

Mine did this when I first installed it. Turned out to be a problem with the memory card. It was a Patriot 128GB. The card worked fine in other devices, the camera didn't like it though. I bought a Sandisk and the problem went away.

Mine did this when I first installed it. Turned out to be a problem with the memory card. It was a Patriot 128GB. The card worked fine in other devices, the camera didn't like it though. I bought a Sandisk and the problem went away.
ok thanks.
I'm already currently using a Sandisk card, but perhaps I'll try some other card. or I wonder if a clean reformatting of the card might help?

Thanks, I hadn't seen the carcamcentral article before but had read the other sites mentioned.
I will check out some other cards like the Lexar 633x

Oh, and correction, I have a 128GB Kingston card in the dashcam right now (I have Sandisk cards in various other devices).
I will second this issue.

The Blackvue 650s is EXTREMELY finicky when it comes to the SD card. I went through 4 cards before I found one that worked. I originally had the patriot 128gb, then 2 different san disks, and finally the lexar. After speaking with blackboxmycar and blackvue reps, the lexar seems to be the only approved card (other then their insanely expensive self named card). Using the lexar fixed wifi buffer lag and the random reboot issue. Been flying nonstop for a few months without any issues since.

I will second this issue.

The Blackvue 650s is EXTREMELY finicky when it comes to the SD card. I went through 4 cards before I found one that worked. I originally had the patriot 128gb, then 2 different san disks, and finally the lexar. After speaking with blackboxmycar and blackvue reps, the lexar seems to be the only approved card (other then their insanely expensive self named card). Using the lexar fixed wifi buffer lag and the random reboot issue. Been flying nonstop for a few months without any issues since.
Good to know, thanks.

One question - when you say wifi buffer lag, are you talking about slowness/pausing in playback of video over wifi? If so, I had seen that also but assumed that was the dashcam itself. I'll usually pop the card out and use the desktop viewer app to watch clips if I need to.

I should add, in my case the Kingston card recorded without troubles for several months since first getting the dashcam (ignoring above-mentioned wifi speed). It's only recently that the random reboots started. Maybe it's a reliability issue of the card starting to appear over time.

Anyhow there seem to be some Lexar 633x cards on sale locally so I think that will be worth a try. Thanks again

I've been noticing my Blackvue 650GW-2CH occasionally reboots for no apparent reason. happens randomly, maybe once every few days, or maybe once a week, or two. I don't see any consistent pattern.

The only reason I notice is that either I see the WiFi light on when it was off prior (I normally turn WiFi off manually and keep it off, although I have it set to turn on automatically upon boot up), or sometimes when I'm driving I'll hear the "Blackvue for your safety" voice prompt that you get on restart. When I then check the files, everything seems to be recording normally, no unexpected events that might coincide with the reboot.

anybody else seen this? I have the dashcam powered by constant 12V. I'm wondering if it maybe reboots automatically when the card (128GB) fills and automatically recycles some space?

I am glad you posted. Mine will do the same. It didn't do it for the first 8 months but recently over the last 4-5 months it started doing it. Mine actually will be so bad that it could reboot 8-10 times in my hour long commute. Other times it might reboot once. But it will happen every time I get into the car.
My camera is connected to the obd and has the 32GB card.
Also I don't have a choice from the app to have the wifi switched to off when the camera turns on. This annoys me.
Love to hear some input about any issues or a possible fix.

Edit:
Just read some of the updated post. Guess I will try a new card. Interesting that the card that came with the camera would have issues.

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks.

One question - when you say wifi buffer lag, are you talking about slowness/pausing in playback of video over wifi? If so, I had seen that also but assumed that was the dashcam itself. I'll usually pop the card out and use the desktop viewer app to watch clips if I need to.

I should add, in my case the Kingston card recorded without troubles for several months since first getting the dashcam (ignoring above-mentioned wifi speed). It's only recently that the random reboots started. Maybe it's a reliability issue of the card starting to appear over time.

Anyhow there seem to be some Lexar 633x cards on sale locally so I think that will be worth a try. Thanks again
Initially, the buffer lag while trying to view the video clips via wifi direct or over cloud was completely unusable. It would take >10 min to load. Ever since I swapped out the cards for the lexar, the buffer time is improved. It's not lightening fast, but usable. I agree though, the best way to view is to pop SD card out and use a computer.

Just one data point. I was using Sandisk 64GB Extreme and it was working fine, except video viewing (not live) via Blackvue wifi was very slow and sometimes stops completely.

I was motivated by recent microSD discussion and purchased Lexar 200GB 633x (was trying to find a lower speed card in vain). It was working fine for a few days, but this afternoon it generated SDcard error and stopped working. When I inserted the card to the PC, it was readable but not writeable. Apparently it was broken, possibly due to excessive heat.

I now have Transcend 128GB Premium card which is a bit slower, and I'm testing now.

Take the cable and gently push it up into the the rear hatch hole and work it to the left, toward the the center of the top of the rear hatch. This takes patience and a friend to to help. Takes lots of fishing. A wire tool will not help you here. You simply need to find the right spot. With patience, it is not impossible. But many have said it can't be done. But it worked for me!

If you take your time (with a bit of swearing) you will eventually figure out how to coax the cable to move through the void between the two spot welded pieces of AL that make up the structure of the hatch. While it does not seem apparent, there is room between those two pieces of AL that you can negotiate the cable through. I was actually surprised by this, as everything I had read had said that what I did was impossible.

Once you can get it to that first void, have your friend grab the tip of the cable and gently pull it out. Then you will do this two more times, through two more voids and access points. The third access point just happens to be at just about center of the rear hatch. Then pull the cable out and you are there!!!
Can you possibly approximate these so-called voids in a markup picture to give a general idea on what to avoid?

Initially, the buffer lag while trying to view the video clips via wifi direct or over cloud was completely unusable. It would take >10 min to load. Ever since I swapped out the cards for the lexar, the buffer time is improved. It's not lightening fast, but usable. I agree though, the best way to view is to pop SD card out and use a computer.
I picked up a 128GB Lexar 633x card on sale locally last week and installed it in my 650GW-2CH. buffer lag while viewing via wifi seems improved, but stil not without some pausing. So far no random reboots during normal operation (but then again the Kingston card worked perfectly for months initially too). I will see over time if any reliability issues pop up.

I picked up a 128GB Lexar 633x card on sale locally last week and installed it in my 650GW-2CH. buffer lag while viewing via wifi seems improved, but stil not without some pausing. So far no random reboots during normal operation (but then again the Kingston card worked perfectly for months initially too). I will see over time if any reliability issues pop up.
Yes, time will definitely tell us if we spent wisely on these cameras. I've been up with constant power for about 3 months and no issues. At $400+, these better last several years!

Can you possibly approximate these so-called voids in a markup picture to give a general idea on what to avoid?
So sorry, but I can't get photos of the voids. They are under the welded pieces of sheet AL. The location is as such:

1. Look at the top of the hatch on the inside with the trim off, above the glass
  2. Note the center point
  3. Note the right most point which is close to where you would have pulled off the flexible grommet in order to pull the wire through. You will see voids between the welded pieces that you can snake things into.
  4. Approx 3-5 inches to the left of the grommet on the upper part of the hatch, there is a void between the two sheets of AL that are welded together in order to make the form. You must feel it while pushing the wire through the opening that you can see to find it. If you find it, you then snake about 6" more toward the center of the upper hatch. It takes time and lots of patience. There is another void that allows you to bring the wire back out of the enclosed void that you just snaked through. Then continue to snake and wiggle until you can barely see the wire between the two sheets of AL that have been welded. Then use a small wire hook to pull it out.

I'm really not prepared to redo the install and photo or video it at this point. But I think, if you have any experience or knowledge of how sheet metal is spot welded for a car, this should make sense to you.

I hope this helps.

Take the cable and gently push it up into the the rear hatch hole and work it to the left, toward the the center of the top of the rear hatch. This takes patience and a friend to to help. Takes lots of fishing. A wire tool will not help you here. You simply need to find the right spot. With patience, it is not impossible. But many have said it can't be done. But it worked for me!

If you take your time (with a bit of swearing) you will eventually figure out how to coax the cable to move through the void between the two spot welded pieces of AL that make up the structure of the hatch. While it does not seem apparent, there is room between those two pieces of AL that you can negotiate the cable through. I was actually surprised by this, as everything I had read had said that what I did was impossible.

Once you can get it to that first void, have your friend grab the tip of the cable and gently pull it out. Then you will do this two more times, through two more voids and access points. The third access point just happens to be at just about center of the rear hatch. Then pull the cable out and you are there!!!

@CHG-ON - Thank you so much for your detailed write-up, it gave me the courage to try snaking the cable through the tube and into the metal of the hatch.

Felt pretty good once I got through the tube but then spent 2 futile hours trying to get from the grommet to the first void and just couldn't do it. What's a real bummer is that I figured once I get to the first void I can just tape the cable along the metal where the existing cable is and not have to worry about voids #2 and #3, but I never even made it that far.

I took a few pictures and was really hoping you could draw on them as to where exactly the void is? I tried to snake the cable in from the grommet hole to the left, but I had two choices: down and to the left, eventually snaking back up into the void, or up and to the left across somewhat more directly to the void. Which is right?

u0BcPh7.jpg

pQt3usD.jpg

N70JB71.jpg

jrnewzX.jpg

For anyone else trying this - I got frustrated and tried running a coat hanger through from the void to the grommet hole - Don't do this. First, you have to be careful not to poke a hole in all the other cables that are in the bundle by the grommet, which is tricky due to the angles in there, but second, all you'll do is find a path that's big enough for the hanger but can't fit the cable. I almost broke my cable doing this, then I almost got both the cable and the hanger stuck. Just...don't.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Coat hangers... Yikes.

Use a 14 gauge insulated electrical wire that you can bend into a very smooth loop with no burrs. I pulled my wire as a single from a 3 wire exterior Romex. You will need to file down the tips. The insulation helps to protect all the other wires that are super sensitive.

Use extreme caution when doing this. Take it very slow. It just might need one beer or a glass of wine, as it is a slow and deliberate process. I know it sounds weird, but it really did reduce my stress....

Slow and steady wins the race every time.

Reactions: NJ Plugin