Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much space do the saved videos take, for example how much space per minute or hour? Wondering what size card I should get. Are you guys keeping them recording 24/7 or just during events? Has anyone shared their settings yet? I tried to find the answers but its difficult to think of what to search for to get a good result.

I pick up my car in a couple days and would like to be prepared for the install.

I have a 128GB card, Blackvue DR650GW-2CH, firmware v2.005. Dashcam is powered continuously.

Recordings are set to "High" quality** = 8.44Mbps 1920x1280 30fps front camera, 4.25Mbps 1280x720 30fps rear camera for normal moderecordings 3min duration; same bitrates/resolutions for parking mode except 15fps, 1min duration

here are approx file sizes I see on my card:
Normal mode front: 191MByte
Normal mode rear: 96MByte
Parking mode front: 64MByte
Parking mode rear: 32MByte

file sizes of course will vary if you configure with different quality** ("Highest" = 10Mbps front, but apparently requires a video speed rated card e.g. V30 rated), there is also 1min duration setting for normal recordings, and also a lower quality setting (6Mbps front, if I recall...)

how many days video you can store on a card will of course depend how much you drive/day - also where you park because parking mode motion detection is extremely sensitve even at lowest setting and you will get many consecutive 1min parking mode recordings if there's anything at all moving in field of view (people, cars, leaves on trees blowing in the wind, unless in a dark garage.

but as an example, if I look on my 128GB card right now I have about 6 or 7 days worth of recordings (normal & event & parking mode)

**note: in previous versions of the firmware, "Highest" quality was 8.44Mbps front. I believe v2.005 introduced support for 10Mbps "Highest" quality

I have a 128GB card, Blackvue DR650GW-2CH, firmware v2.005. Dashcam is powered continuously.

file sizes of course will vary if you configure with different quality** ("Highest" = 10Mbps front, but apparently requires a video speed rated card e.g. V30 rated), there is also 1min duration setting for normal recordings, and also a lower quality setting (6Mbps front, if I recall...)

how many days video you can store on a card will of course depend how much you drive/day - also where you park because parking mode motion detection is extremely sensitve even at lowest setting and you will get many consecutive 1min parking mode recordings if there's anything at all moving in field of view (people, cars, leaves on trees blowing in the wind, unless in a dark garage.

but as an example, if I look on my 128GB card right now I have about 6 or 7 days worth of recordings (normal & event & parking mode)

**note: in previous versions of the firmware, "Highest" quality was 8.44Mbps front. I believe v2.005 introduced support for 10Mbps "Highest" quality

I have a dr650s and 128GB card and was kinda waffling between "high" and "highest" quality. I'll have to see if I think the extra quality is worth the extra space and downloading time. I believe I had it on "high" prior to the last firmware update (just loaded 1.002) and it is kinda hard to read license plates when things are paused.

And yes. as I've mentioned a few places, motion detection is useless if your car is parked outside. You may as well keep the clips 3 minutes since it's going to be continuously recording. I decided to turn the g-sensors all the way up and forget about motion detection, I know it probably won't catch someone if they decided to key the car. Hopefully they'll adjust it eventually.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I have a dr650s and 128GB card and was kinda waffling between "high" and "highest" quality. I'll have to see if I think the extra quality is worth the extra space and downloading time. I believe I had it on "high" prior to the last firmware update (just loaded 1.002) and it is kinda hard to read license plates when things are paused.

And yes. as I've mentioned a few places, motion detection is useless if your car is parked outside. You may as well keep the clips 3 minutes since it's going to be continuously recording. I decided to turn the g-sensors all the way up and forget about motion detection, I know it probably won't catch someone if they decided to key the car. Hopefully they'll adjust it eventually.

Recording at the highest is fine for me, interesting point about the motion sensitivity

When they introduced the 30 fps, I tried it and switched back to 15 fps. Didn't see a significant difference and have that much more storage available, in case I want to go back to something.

Funny you mention that. I use 15FPS on a setup at work to monitor equipment. The difference between 15 and 30 is not worth using the added space to me. I can see fine at 15FPS.

I tried to follow "How-to Tap 12V Power" from teslarati.com, but instead the OBD-II to USB Adapter it recommended, I bought a L shape ODB-II adapter from amazon.

If you're trying to install BlackVue DR650S-2Ch. Do NOT buy these ODB-II charging cables if you want to connect to a cigarette lighter adapter, because the output is 5v. BlackVue DR650S requires 12v adapter.

I'm not saying these are bad adapters, it's was my own mistake to ignore the output voltage.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H38IGDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019O9PLMY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=A7H32HUQT8E8T&th=1

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware
One question, which might be already answered in this thread but I didn't notice. What is the difference between DR650GW-2CH and DR650S-2CH? Should I consider upgrading? Mine is 650GW and pre-cloud hardware, running v1.xx firmware.

I think this post from Blackvue explains it best.
It also clarifies that with the legacy firmware Audio on/Off instead of manual recording is possible but for some reason they cannot make it configurable.
DR650S Series vs DR650GW Series Comparison | BlackVue

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I think this post from Blackvue explains it best.
It also clarifies that with the legacy firmware Audio on/Off instead of manual recording is possible but for some reason they cannot make it configurable.
DR650S Series vs DR650GW Series Comparison | BlackVue
FYI: although the official Blackvue info says that the 650GW-2CH with firmware 2.xxx only supports 1 minute recording length, it IS possible to select 1, 2 or 3 min recordings as you could with prior versions.

For whatever reason they removed the ability to configure this setting via the smartphone app and desktop viewer since a recent v2.xxx firmware update (maybe to better differentiate between the 650S?) However you can manually edit the configuration file stored on the SD card to restore this functionality to your 650GW-2CH.

The settings are stored in the plain text file BLACKVUE/Config/confiig.ini on the SD card. The specific parameters for recording length in that file are:
NormalRecordTime=n and EventRecordTime=n, where n can be 1, 2 or 3

with my 650GW-2CH running v2.005 I confirm it works with normal recordings set to 3 min

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Has anyone had any issues with the blackvue dr650s and using the cloud? I have tried 3 different SD cards, thinking that was the problem. The sandisk 64gb high endurance card works well with wifi direct. There is still some significant lag with the buffer, but it is tolerable. The cloud is still completely useless (unless I want to download the video, which also takes a while). I tried the OEM blackvue 16gb card that came with the unit. Same problem with the cloud. I think I have ruled out the SD card as the issue. Any thought about how to make the cloud usable?

Has anyone had any issues with the blackvue dr650s and using the cloud? I have tried 3 different SD cards, thinking that was the problem. The sandisk 64gb high endurance card works well with wifi direct. There is still some significant lag with the buffer, but it is tolerable. The cloud is still completely useless (unless I want to download the video, which also takes a while). I tried the OEM blackvue 16gb card that came with the unit. Same problem with the cloud. I think I have ruled out the SD card as the issue. Any thought about how to make the cloud usable?

I just installed DR650S-2CH over the weekend, everything works well. When I use the cloud, it was connect over my home wifi. When use wifi, it works great without any lag.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware
Ugh, new problem with my 650s . . . . Now it drops the connection to the cloud after about 10 min. I have to cycle the power to get it back up. It connects without issue, I get an app notification that I am connected. Then I get an app notification that it entered parking mode. Finally, about 7-10 min, I get an app notification that it's been disconnected. It won't reconnect unless I cycle power to the camera. I'm starting to think this thing is junk. I emailed Blackboxmycar, where I purchased it, but was hoping for some other thoughts here?

Ugh, new problem with my 650s . . . . Now it drops the connection to the cloud after about 10 min. I have to cycle the power to get it back up. It connects without issue, I get an app notification that I am connected. Then I get an app notification that it entered parking mode. Finally, about 7-10 min, I get an app notification that it's been disconnected. It won't reconnect unless I cycle power to the camera. I'm starting to think this thing is junk. I emailed Blackboxmycar, where I purchased it, but was hoping for some other thoughts here?
I read on the Blackvue site that you get 10min free live view per day (see What's included in my free account, under Q&A). Not sure, but could that have something to do with it?

I read on the Blackvue site that you get 10min free live view per day (see What's included in my free account, under Q&A). Not sure, but could that have something to do with it?
I believe "live view" refers to actually viewing your camera LIVE. You can do this on the PC (and I assume MAC) downloaded viewer. This is not an option via the phone app. You also get 5gb free of cloud storage for video clips.

In-line fuse housing (uses the same mini-fuses as the MS. I used a 5 Amp fuse). The link says delivery in 3 weeks, but I got mine in 1. I'm sure these are available at your local Autozone or PepBoys
I'm getting my parts together in preparation for my install. I was motivated after seeing a Reddit post with more detailed pictures. The user probably frequents here as his post linked this thread. Pictures of his install here. I picked up the same 3 fuse holders with a kit of fuses for $9.99 at Amazon since it shipped Prime. I found the ATM fuses very hard to fit in the holder as the holes seem to be offset. Anyway, from the Blackvue DR-650S spec page, input is max 1A. Would having a 5A fuse even matter? Looking around some more it appears the lowest fuse you can get in that size appears to be 2A.

• Love
Reactions: xy46
I've been noticing my Blackvue 650GW-2CH occasionally reboots for no apparent reason. happens randomly, maybe once every few days, or maybe once a week, or two. I don't see any consistent pattern.

The only reason I notice is that either I see the WiFi light on when it was off prior (I normally turn WiFi off manually and keep it off, although I have it set to turn on automatically upon boot up), or sometimes when I'm driving I'll hear the "Blackvue for your safety" voice prompt that you get on restart. When I then check the files, everything seems to be recording normally, no unexpected events that might coincide with the reboot.

anybody else seen this? I have the dashcam powered by constant 12V. I'm wondering if it maybe reboots automatically when the card (128GB) fills and automatically recycles some space?