Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read your post and I had the same problem as you. The plug would not pass from the side of the boot to the center, so I just left it there. But I am super interested to know if your approach of rebuilding the plug connector will work. If it works I will do the same. I hated leaving that cable there.

Im sure it will work fine. The connector I posted is the one needed. You have to solder the tip and crimp the ground. Its standard coax so nothing crazy. This may be troublesome for some people. I am a ham radio operator so I am used to it.

I asked the seller if I could pick them up since they are local. If not, I should receive them by Saturday. I will post updates.

Reactions: acarlos1000
Seller let me pick up the MCX connectors. These things are super tiny! Soldering might be complicated. Really helpful guy offered to make the cable for me this week when they were not busy. They included the shrink tubing with the connectors. Will be really nice if I dont short out the tip. I will update

I could not solder the tip my self. I did not have a small enough tip. I went back to the seller and he was kind enough to make it for me.
Dashcam installed with no drilling! The excess wire tucked into the metal gaps in the trunk.

Attachments

• 20161230_120627.jpg
    20161230_120627.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 149
  • 20161230_120416.jpg
    20161230_120416.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 127
i installed blackvue 650 today using the OBDII power method. All went well for front and rear wires except for a gap on the rear view mirror cover on the right side where i am running the wires (see picture) . I think the right side of the cover is not sitting correctly.. any clues on how to resolve this. I did not remove the cover completely (as BigTonyT had mentioned) and just twisted the pry tool from the headliner side to loosen it a bit..

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    644.3 KB · Views: 137
If anyone's interested, I wrote a program that will download the files over the wireless network to your PC, so you don't have to disconnect the camera, pull out the SD card, etc. It's written in .NET Core and will run on Windows, macOS, Ubuntu, etc.

I have mine setup so when I pull in the garage, a nearby PC which is always running will re-connect to the camera WiFi and start downloading the files onto a large HD.

Enjoy!

GitHub - morrisonbrett/BlackVueDownloader: BlackVue Downloader - Download video files from your BlackVue camera over http
This is awesome! Does it require you to connect directly to the Blackvue's wifi access point or can it access the Blackvue via my LAN when the car is parked at home?

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Its really complicated for the back one. I can see why shops charge $200 for the install. I personally dont think I would do it for any less.
Front camera is a breeze

I'm a DIY kinda guy, and do lots of projects, but am a bit intimidated by the comments about the rear camera installation. Also, I'd rather not use wiring that is part of the factory car, as Tesla may have plans for such wiring in future. Perhaps one solution is to do the front installation myself (providing I can find a clean work-around for not using the wire in the mic area), and pay for the rear? Anyone know shops in the SF Bay Area that does good installation work for the Blackvue?

I think the cable is on the way of the connector on that side,
I'm a DIY kinda guy, and do lots of projects, but am a bit intimidated by the comments about the rear camera installation. Also, I'd rather not use wiring that is part of the factory car, as Tesla may have plans for such wiring in future. Perhaps one solution is to do the front installation myself (providing I can find a clean work-around for not using the wire in the mic area), and pay for the rear? Anyone know shops in the SF Bay Area that does good installation work for the Blackvue?

The real trick is to get the cable from the car headliner on the rear to the trunk door. That took me several tries, because I wanted to have a super stealth installation, but the connector is too thick and the clean solution would be something like what @BigTonyTones did, cutting the original connector to pass the cable thru and them soldering a new tip, which is not trivial. I just put a white tape to disguise it a bit.

image.jpg

The real trick is to get the cable from the car headliner on the rear to the trunk door. That took me several tries, because I wanted to have a super stealth installation, but the connector is too thick and the clean solution would be something like what @BigTonyTones did, cutting the original connector to pass the cable thru and them soldering a new tip, which is not trivial. I just put a white tape to disguise it a bit.
My understanding is that the bundle of cables on the left side has even less room than the right.

A number of us have had good experiences with Walnut Creek Customs, in (surprise!) Walnut Creek. They seem to do a lot of work on Teslas, including BlackVue installs. They did mine last year and I'm happy with it.

Good luck,

Bruce.

A number of us have had good experiences with Walnut Creek Customs, in (surprise!) Walnut Creek. They seem to do a lot of work on Teslas, including BlackVue installs. They did mine last year and I'm happy with it.

Good luck,

Bruce.

Joe Torbati moved his operations to OCDetailing (www.bayareadetails.com) in Fremont (...near the factory) and in addition to doing wraps, coatings. detailing, etc his shop also does dash cam and radar detector/deflector installs. He has a lot of experience and expertise on Teslas (he has had over 1000 S and 300 X through his hands over the years).

Have a read here:

DIY Dashcam (BlackVue 550 fron&rear) - constant power source from dash

Yes, front camera install fairly simple, depending on where you plan to get 12V power. Rear camera is a bit challenging if you are not handy. You are going to pay someone for a couple of hours of labor/expertise--$200 for an install is more than reasonable.

Check out Joe Torbati @ OCDetailing (www.bayareacustoms.com) in Fremont. His shop also does dash cam installs in addition to radar detector/deflector installs. Lots of Tesla experience.

I think the cable is on the way of the connector on that side,

View attachment 208822

Unless you are very skilled at fitting a new coax connector on a small cable, I would not advise cutting the connector off of the factory supplied Blackvue rear camera cable. The cable and connector can be fished through the right hand boot to the lift gate with some care. If the cable is not properly terminated, you will get issues with power problems (the cable also provides power to the rear camera) and noise (both noise in the Blackvue, but also noise radiating to other sensitive cables and devices (like radio and GPS antennae).

Have a read here:

DIY Dashcam (BlackVue 550 fron&rear) - constant power source from dash

Yes, front camera install fairly simple, depending on where you plan to get 12V power. Rear camera is a bit challenging if you are not handy. You are going to pay someone for a couple of hours of labor/expertise--$200 for an install is more than reasonable.

Check out Joe Torbati @ OCDetailing (www.bayareacustoms.com) in Fremont. His shop also does dash cam installs in addition to radar detector/deflector installs. Lots of Tesla experience.

I second that recommendation, Joe just installed a Blackvue 650S in my MS last Friday and he did a great job at a reasonable price. It was more of a job than I was willing to tackle, even though I love DIY projects.

Call me lazy, but I did not hide the rear cable. This is a leased car that I will have for only 2 more years. I guess that is why I did it this way. If I owned it, I would have done the hard work of hiding the wire. I ran the wire from the headliner into the rear panel, then just jumped the gap with an exposed wire, leaving just enough slack to allow the hatch to open and close freely. I did it on the passenger side, then routed the cable under the hatch liner to the center. Yes, it is visible, but I never see it and it has not bothered me one bit since I installed it some time ago. Also, it was ridiculously easy.

Today, I installed the GPS extender mentioned earlier in this thread. I attached it to the rear hatch glass, in the upper passenger side corner, and again, "jumped the gap" along side the blackvue cable. I wanted to put the GPS transmitter and power source in the center mic area, but then realized the GPS extender is 5v, and needs a step down. The step-down USB connector I had was too big to stuff into the headliner, so I gave up and I ran the wire along over to the driver's side and down the A-pillar and tapped the OBD where my radar detector was already attached. My blackvue now has a perfect GPS signal (except when I am parked in my garage).

Last edited: