Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up. If you go to use the microphone connector and find that you don't have 12v anywhere, check fuse number 50. It's a 5 amp fuse. I ended up running the wiring all the way down to the accessory 12v plug under the console before I thought to check this. Could have saved myself a LOT of time. I have no idea why that fuse was blown. It's the 5a at the top Left of the photo.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2 MB · Views: 286
  • Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Sweeet, thanks Maximus8. Man this wait is killing me

You're welcome. Make sure and read the many posts regarding the install of the BlackVue. There are a lot of options out there. I tucked in the wires as much as I could and I chose to run the back camera wire through the rubber conduit between the hatch and the roof...a very clean install. The only wires visible are about 4" near the front camera as it enters the MobilEye housing and another 5" in the rear where the wire comes on of the plastic trim molding.

Unless you want to be able to disconnect the power easily, the microphone grill location requires panel removal, the OBD cable can easily be unplugged.
If you are looking for easy, just unplug it at the camera end. Don't get me wrong, I love having the OBD II as a power source, and I'm using it now for my radar detector. I just see no need to run a power cable from the OBD, up the A-pillar and across the headliner, if there is a source already there. I had to do this on my prior P85 because it did not have it.

Reactions: Ivo-G and Maximus8
Anyone else have time sync problems with their DR650GW-2CH? My GPS is sync'ed up fine, but time is off by many hours. Timezone is set correctly, and if I send a time sync command via the Blackvue app, it reboots the camera but never syncs (And I've waited the 12, 24, 48 hours recommended by some.)

Thanks for the clarifications! I got mine installed. If you've never taken off a body panel before (like me) or run any wires, it will take patience and determination. Also, it's a little uncomfortable taking your new car apart :)
I haven't tried, but am reading with some trepidation.
Anyone experimented with black electrical tape? Instead of opening up these various plastic housings, just tuck the wires and cover them with a thin strip of electrical tape?

I wrote a little program that runs and downloads the video files from the camera onto a hard disk. I have a Windows machine running in my garage. Each night, the program runs and downloads the video files to a large hard disk for archiving.

More details here. Feedback welcome: GitHub - morrisonbrett/BlackVueDownloader: BlackVue Downloader - Download video files from your BlackVue camera over http.
Brett, I get an error when trying MSbuild. Can you post the .exe?

Nice! I think the OBD method is what I will use also when my 90D gets delivered in June.

Do you guys have any concerns about draining the 12V battery? How long could you potentially leave it parking mode before you'd start to get worried. For example what if you left it at an airport long term parking for a week?
No need to worry about the 12V battery. I personally use 24h recording on BlackVue BlackVue DR650, no issues after more than a year. 12V is automatically replenished by HV battery when it gets low. However, you might have a faulty 12V battery or some DCDC converter, so if you see low 12V battery warning, better to disconnect the dashcam and consult Tesla.

Reactions: Krebnarb
Just installed a 650 in my car - works beautifully.

I saw some information out there on an FTP server being present in - I believe - an earlier version of the cam. Is there a way to get to the files via FTP on the latest version?

Also, it seems there is no more web server running, when I try to connect to 192.168.8.1, there is no reply from the camera. Was that maybe removed with the latest firmware version (I am running 2.002)?

Last edited:
I have Blackvue 650 installed (plugged into lighter in center console). Lose wire not looking very good and turn off when car turns off. I'm looking to feed power from the constant 12V in the microphone grill (I have late MS 2015 VIN 12xxxx). Anyone have pictures/ description how you are feeding power to the dashcam?
1. Did you cut the cigarette adapter off and feed into 12v
2. Connect female adapter to car's 12v and then plug the dashcam power cord into female adapter? Is there enough room for all that wiring?

I also used the 12v in the mic area. Could not have been easier. Unsnap the vacant connector, lay your bare wires in, snap shut and done! But don't do it until your install is complete, of course.

Did you cut the blackvue power cable down, strip the end and snapped it in? I thought the provided power plug reduced voltage from 12V to 5V through the cigarette lighter/fuse.

I have Blackvue 650 installed (plugged into lighter in center console). Lose wire not looking very good and turn off when car turns off. I'm looking to feed power from the constant 12V in the microphone grill (I have late MS 2015 VIN 12xxxx). Anyone have pictures/ description how you are feeding power to the dashcam?
2. Connect female adapter to car's 12v and then plug the dashcam power cord into female adapter? Is there enough room for all that wiring?

You could use the external battery solution

• Disagree
Reactions: SwisSojourners
Did you cut the blackvue power cable down, strip the end and snapped it in? I thought the provided power plug reduced voltage from 12V to 5V through the cigarette lighter/fuse.
There is no drop-down needed for the Blackvue. It accepts 12V input, not 5V. The original cable does not have any drop-down in it.

I recommend that you start by reading through this thread from the beginning. There are several great posts (including some by me ;)) that explain how to do this in great detail. Personally, I don't like cutting the original cables, and for a few bucks, I bought a cable and used that one instead. I just added a fuse for added protection, especially since I did not use the original cable with the fuse built in.

Sure as Mobe said above, I found a blown 5v fuse. The fuse panel appears to be a new design for the Facelift S, but I checked all the 5v fuses and one the bottom right one is blown.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Now to test it with the new fuse.

EDIT: That fixed it. BlackVue works perfectly now. But it begs the question, why was the fuse blown in the first place?

Last edited: