Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boston, MA (Boylston Street)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would they incentivize people to use the supercharger and not shop or eat there?
I'm thinking about teslas incentives and interested in whether they struck a deal with the garage. The goal of these 72kwh superchargers is to help people who don't have the ability to charge at home to do so where they shop. I wouldnt go somewhere that costs me $10 to park to shop on a weekly basis. It might still be cheaper than filling up a tank of gas but is definitely a lot more expensive than just paying supercharging fees. I think it matters to folks considering whether to get a tesla if they should expect to pay high fees for parking over and above the pass through cost of electricity.

I'm thinking about teslas incentives and interested in whether they struck a deal with the garage.

The Boston Tesla store is in the Prudential building (where the garage is), so that's probably the main reason they chose that spot, especially for an early rollout of this new charger. I was there yesterday - looking at an S to go with our X, and the sales guy didn't tell us a thing! I asked him today and they said they knew about it for a few weeks, but were sworn to secrecy....

Reactions: Galve2000
Although this is a fairly expensive place to park, it is convenient to the Turnpike, is a fairly large facility, well located for shopping, business, and entertainment, as well as having the Tesla store there. Glad to see chargers there even if one has to pay to park.
You have to figure that real estate available for parking is pricey and in short supply so any landlord willing to give up spaces for chargers will want to collect for the parking.

There are plenty of other places in the Pru to spend $10 to get a validation stamp. Not the cheapest option, but in a prime, very expensive, urban location it's gonna be hard to find a spot for something like this for free. I think as Teslas get more and more ubiquitous it's likely you'll see more places like this letting them install chargers in exchange for the extra people drawn to the location for 30-90 minutes of time to kill (with money to spend while they're there).

There are plenty of other places in the Pru to spend $10 to get a validation stamp. Not the cheapest option, but in a prime, very expensive, urban location it's gonna be hard to find a spot for something like this for free. I think as Teslas get more and more ubiquitous it's likely you'll see more places like this letting them install chargers in exchange for the extra people drawn to the location for 30-90 minutes of time to kill (with money to spend while they're there).

Agreed. Here is the new proposed and current SC map from tesla.com of downtown Boston and immediate surrounding area.The cities of Cambridge and Somerville has proposed locations as well as the Charlestown, Southend, Southie Waterfront and Fenway in Boston. Adding all of these locations will help those who do not have an ability to charge at work or home AND help those that do but have done a quite a bit of traveling as well as tourists to the area. I suggest we all need a little patience; this is quite an expensive endeavor for Tesla. Testing this concept in the Pru is a pretty good first choice to grab data on its use.

Best,
Ade

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 4.57.28 PM.png

I took a quick look on my way to work today. The superchargers are right next to the four ChargePoint spots on level P1. You should enter from one of the south entrances. I'm not sure if the north and south garages are connected as I-90 runs between them. All the Tesla spots are marked for Tesla charging only and none was ICEd. One Model S was charging, the rest of the spots were empty.

This urban expansion is great for users, but I can't help worrying about the cost. What is the end game? In the long run, does Tesla foresee that EV charging will remain dependent upon networks built by a manufacturer? I am not sure that is sustainable.
Sorry, this might be a topic for elsewhere and too broad for this thread....

This urban expansion is great for users, but I can't help worrying about the cost. What is the end game? In the long run, does Tesla foresee that EV charging will remain dependent upon networks built by a manufacturer? I am not sure that is sustainable.
Sorry, this might be a topic for elsewhere and too broad for this thread....

Which costs are you concerned with? The cost to Tesla for offering Supercharging in urban locations? Or the cost to consumers to charge in urban locations?

Which costs are you concerned with? The cost to Tesla for offering Supercharging in urban locations? Or the cost to consumers to charge in urban locations?
The cost to Tesla. My concern is their capital expenses and how long they can sustain a model of building out chargers for all their customers.
One of the topics that often comes up when i speak with prospective EV buyers at car shows and EV events is how the current charging infrastructure will evolve, to the point where it is truly feasible for anyone to own an EV. Today it is a mess, with competing and inconsistent charging connectors and voltages, and no clear path to a resolution. I worry that Tesla seems to be trying to "solve it" for everyone but that that is not a long term solution, technically or economically.

The cost to Tesla. My concern is their capital expenses and how long they can sustain a model of building out chargers for all their customers.
One of the topics that often comes up when i speak with prospective EV buyers at car shows and EV events is how the current charging infrastructure will evolve, to the point where it is truly feasible for anyone to own an EV. Today it is a mess, with competing and inconsistent charging connectors and voltages, and no clear path to a resolution. I worry that Tesla seems to be trying to "solve it" for everyone but that that is not a long term solution, technically or economically.

David,

It is a very large capital expense yes, however Tesla has to continue to expand the Supercharger network and/or find a partner that will do so with them. It is key to what a large portion of automotive customers feel they need regardless of the frequency that a customers would absolutely need it. This is something that Tesla controls and it has the ability to influence more purchases. Probably why their public stance has shifted on supercharger usage. Make charging revenue neutral or a slight loss leader so more folks feel comfortable with EV's in general and Tesla's specifically. Eliminate "range anxiety"

The key to other EV's getting more widespread adoption in the US outside of California is to have a robust and quick fast charging network so folks can feel comfortable that they can take their car on longer trips as conveniently as they can take them to work or on local errands. I drove the Bolt this weekend. Wonderful car, great commuting car, great second car. Broader adoption will lag due to the lack of a broad fast charging network.