TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Browser on V9 in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Burnt Toast, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Fantomsss

Fantomsss Member

Photo attached

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. LDCRS

LDCRS Member

IMG_20190828_153126.jpg IMG_20190828_153255.jpg

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 2
  3. PJF000

PJF000 Member

That's great.

4. Stratman

Stratman Member

be nice to see a browsing pic on a Model 3 screen too?

5. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

I was going to see if ABRP would drop the nav information into the Tesla navigation software, otherwise I will ask in the main Model 3 forum. I seem to have gotten the impression that people were doing that somehow.

6. paulp

paulp Active Member

Brilliant!
    Another example of tesla providing more features after sale. Making life difficult for legacy brands.

7. stedes

stedes Member

You mean giving back features that were available years ago and were taken away without any good reason in the first place?

• Like x 3
  8. smithy

smithy Member

Web browser wasn't advertised as a feature here when I bought my S, so for me it is an extra feature after purchase.
    I tried it out last night and it was pretty quick loading sites. I'm not complaining about now having it.

9. Tozla

Tozla Member

Finally.

• Like x 1
  10. paulp

paulp Active Member

I’ve had a model S for 4 years. I’ve never had a web browser. I was never promised a web browser. Did you have one prior to this?

11. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

They promised me Homelink, but they never promised me a web browser :)

12. paulp

paulp Active Member

Agree. I think there are some good door opening solutions that can work with a browser, providing you go in park first. I can now link my house automation to the car screen

• Like x 1
  13. Vostok

Vostok Member

Are you channeling Pastor Morrison? :D:p:confused:

14. nikv

nikv Member

You got me! :)

15. doctorwho

doctorwho Active Member

If you ordered before the original few shipments of Model S then, yes, you would have ordered off the website. There were no cars available locally and barely any Tesla presence at all. The original cars were expected to have come with both Homelink and a browser, as that what was indicated on the website at the time. If you ordered after Tesla had a presence here, and there were locally built cars here, it was clear that these were inactive in Australian cars. If you've had your car for 4 years then this may have been the case for you too.

16. stedes

stedes Member

I e
    I test drove a white (nose cone) Model S on 25 February 2015 in St Leonards in Sydney. It had a browser demonstrated to me by the Tesla employee. I don't know whether this was only enabled for demo vehicles or was indeed a feature that disappeared under the excuse of some mysterious Australian regulation. I'm glad it's back - it has it's uses for sure.

• Like x 1
  17. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I was initially disappointed when the Web Browser was disabled but when I learnt that you can simply search for a business or location verbally I struggle to see it being of much use other than wasting time at a Supercharger. In the very few times I supercharge however I always find it better to take a walk around the general area than sitting passively in the car.

• Like x 1
  18. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

I just want a web browser so when people look at the big touchscreen and ask does it have a web browser I can say YES! Then they say electric cars are so cool, they have web browsers, we're going to buy an electric car immediately no matter how much it costs and how bad the Murdoch press tell me they are, because web browsers in cars are almost as cool as Ooshies and plastic crap from Coles. Other than that the web browser is pretty bloody pointless (like plastic crap from Coles), but let's keep that between you and me.

• Funny x 5
    • Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. paulp

paulp Active Member

#159 paulp, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    I actually printed all of the web pages (from the australian site) from my first purchase day back in march 2015. I was promised homelink. I have no printouts promising a browser. Before purchasing I had a test drive in melb from a tesla person who actually brought the car to my hotel. It had no browser nor was I offered a browser. I first saw the car at chadstone in january 2015. My subsequent online reading didnt give me any impression of a browser. Tesla were still sorting out their very confusing P, P+ D etc. they seem to have returned to those days with the model 3 naming.

20. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I was told more than a year ago that Tesla was imminently bringing in a garage opener that could be retrofitted to my car.....I am still waiting. The wiring loom for homelink exists on my 2014 car. Apparently it was homelink who said no to Australia.