Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1681577425800.png

I'm going to a better place!

Welp, I found the exact model I wanted but with a white interior so I jumped on it and now have delivery scheduled for April 15!

Sadly, my advisor decided to entirely ghost me so I had to eat my deposit to secure this one before someone else jumped on it. Have to re-do my trade in again but hoping my trade-in won't be horribly affected.
Picked up my MYP today. Inspected for about 20 min and found no issues at all. Service was good too. Definitely the best car pickup experience I've had thus far.

My EDD updated today as well (Apr 23 - May 2)! Tesla emailed me to schedule delivery for Apr 25 or 27...

But no VIN assigned yet.

Update: Texted the Tesla number and they gave me my VIN. Fremont build. No VIN showing on website or mobile app still.
Nice!! Not sure VIN always shows in the app (I don’t see it in mine as well), but it’s in the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (scroll down to view it after you click Go to Account in the app)

Reactions: MrTzla and Jck2tam
Nice!! Not sure VIN always shows in the app (I don’t see it in mine as well), but it’s in the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (scroll down to view it after you click Go to Account in the app)
I actually don't even have a Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement yet... If it wasn't for the text and email link to schedule delivery, I wouldn't have even known that it was ready

Reactions: gaur
Just saying hi to my fellow Canucks.

Been lurking for a while. Finally registered, ordered, and impatiently waiting :)

Ordered March 12

MYLR
5 seater
Gemini
Red on Black
Tow Package

EDD1: Apr - Jun 2023
EDD2: Jun 23 - July 1
EDD3: Apr - Jun 2023

Really hoping Tesla extends the equivalent US price cut to us north of the border but not holding my breath.

Really hoping Tesla extends the equivalent US price cut to us north of the border but not holding my breath.
Would be nice for sure! But technically they just did a big lumpsum drop in Canada in January, whereas smaller drops (& bumps) in the US. Current price in Canada matches the previous 'lowest since launch' price, whereas in the US, at least for LR, lowest was $48,990 (current price is still $1k higher). So given the conversion rate is still pretty much the same, US price is basically just catching up to its lowest point, while Canada is already at it's lowest point.

But who knows, they can decide to drop beyond past lowest points, and by end of year they can make US LR $45k and Canada LR to $60k 🤷‍♂️😆

Would be nice for sure! But technically they just did a big lumpsum drop in Canada in January, whereas smaller drops (& bumps) in the US. Current price in Canada matches the previous 'lowest since launch' price, whereas in the US, at least for LR, lowest was $48,990 (current price is still $1k higher). So given the conversion rate is still pretty much the same, US price is basically just catching up to its lowest point, while Canada is already at it's lowest point.

But who knows, they can decide to drop beyond past lowest points, and by end of year they can make US LR $45k and Canada LR to $60k 🤷‍♂️😆
I'm just going based on the straight $50K US = ~$67,300 CAD convesion. Even $1,500 to $2k would be nice. Will wait and see I suppose!

There's no way they don't drop prices further in Canada. Personally I wouldn't want/accept a delivery date in the next week, few weeks/until they drop the price here.

Ideally they release the Y AWD for under $59,990 or some gimped version of it so that the Y Long Range qualifies for the $5,000 federal rebate. And they follow through on the price drop. Pre price drop Model Y was cheaper in Canada than in the US, just like most EVs (before tax rebates).

Not to mention there's 100+ Model Ys in inventory in Canada. WaitingForTesla.com - Find all available New Model Y Inventory in Canada

I’ll just leave this thread which discusses why Canada prices involve more than just converting from USD, and why it’s generally never been cheaper than US prices (after adjusting for conversion rate):
Last few months was one of the only times since launch that it was cheaper here than in US.

I do think Tesla might cut prices again in both countries as the year goes, but I don’t believe these models will ever be cheaper in Canada than US for extended periods of time. It works the same as iPhones (i.e. CA price = US price x conversion rate + other costs/duties)

Last edited:
I’ll just leave this thread which discusses why Canada prices involve more than just converting from USD, and why it’s generally never been cheaper than US prices (after adjusting for conversion rate):
Last few months was one of the only times since launch that it was cheaper here than in US.

I do think Tesla might cut prices again in both countries as the year goes, but I don’t believe these models will ever be cheaper in Canada than US for extended periods of time. It works same as iPhones.

That was 2 years ago when there was more demand than supply. Again there's over 100 Model Ys available for pick up in Canada and growing every day. When they were selling everything they were making, it was easy to ignore local pricing conditions. They want to become an even bigger player than they are and they've increased how many they can produce at the same time while market condtions have been getting worse (increasing interest rates). They also seem to want to outprice the competition so they don't really have any other choice but to decrease the price.

Generally after conversion cars are cheaper in Canada than the US. If Tesla wants to be more expensive, they're going to be less competitive, lose market share, etc.