Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car delivered yesterday, died 10 times today, stranding my family.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about this - but believe me that Tesla will take care of you. I have always had a positive experience with them. For something to fail shortly after you received the car is unfortunate, but I have known of other new non-Tesla cars doing the same thing. It just means that some component failed shortly after going into its service life. Just remember, they are made by people (and robots ;) ), and that although we would all like to think everything is perfect, sometimes it does not work out that way. But, I have no doubt that Tesla will take care of it, and you (and your wife) will love the car. Hang in there!

We took delivery of a grey Model S yesterday in Austin and despite some issues with the car, such as door misalignment and loose rear seat leather, had a great time getting to know the car. Tesla staff was very nice and helpful and installed TPMS in the 21 OEMs I brought them.

Today, I leave for a business trip and while my wife is driving (this is her new car) with my young kids in the back the car loses power and shuts down, this happened about 10 times, having to find a place to pull over each time! Each time it will run for about 30 seconds and then shuts down again, it's about 101°F, kids in car, wife completely unsure of what to do, and on a Sunday afternoon with local Tesla reps unavailable. Tesla in CA just emailed us that it maybe a drive inverter cooling issue and they car needs to go back to in, has anyone else had this problem?

I'm concerned about having our new car disassembled and not ever being as new again. My question is what components failed and what components might have been damaged in this failure? I'm very upset by this, a NEW $100K leaving my wife and kids stranded is unacceptable. At the moment, I just want them to pick it up and write me a check.

What I don't get is how did this get out of the factory? Anything failing that quickly in the customer's hand seems to have missed a check somewhere. The car failed almost immediately. Seems like this should be caught either by factory testing or by the service delivery center running a 30 minute pre-delivery test drive or some such.

The cars do go through a burn-in period. Looks like a component failed after that.

The cars do go through a burn-in period. Looks like a component failed after that.

It is statistical. You would have to run the car for an unreasonably long period of time to ensure nearly no infancy failures.

As for dieing ten times... well, unfortunately, once your car dies once it will most likely keep doing it. Best to either call for a tow or if you can turn around and get it home.

Yep, I know. Seems like Tesla needs to institute a pre-delivery burn in as well as a pre-ship burn in. There have been various "failed at/near delivery" threads with issues that I'd think could get caught by the service centers (and for every thread here, statistically there must be several factors more in the wild). There seem to be, perhaps not surprisingly, some issues that crop up after the car has sat on the truck for transport.

Some folks aren't (yet) anywhere near a service center, but the majority of cars seem to go through the service center before delivery.

Tough crowd. P16490, Grey 85, pic of car AND family...delivery on Saturday, next time I'll have my son hold up a New York Times. Does anyone have information on inverter cooling failures?

You can see anything relates to Tesla is nothing short of drama.

Consolidated, thank you for keeping your cool. I could've exploded if I were you. :)

Overall and statistically speaking, Tesla's quality and services have been superb. I have the car for 2 months and run into various questions and small issues (sometimes just my lack of understanding). Whenever I call the 800 number, someone is there to walk me through and it feels like calling up a friend who is an expert. I usually called right there in the car with the bluetooth connected. A couple of times it requires console reboot and the bluetooth goes away, but still the call stay and the service rep continues to help me. So even in those scenarios I was having a pleasant experience.

I read a lot of owner feedback and service review. Again overall it is exceedingly positive.

Hope Tesla does it right and gives you a satisfactory solution to your unfortunate experience.

Last edited:
You have a beautiful car. I am so sorry that it failed you and your family. I hope the Austin SC gets it sorted very quickly. It is also too bad that you had a rude response on this forum when you needed help and empathy. I hope to see you and your family in a joint Houston/Austin event.

P164XX. Look up my user name on Rennlist, 6Speed, NASA/PCA club racing, or any of the BMW/Ford Truck forums or just PM me when your in Austin, I'll show you my dead Model S. I'm just a guy who bought my wife the car we wanted, nothing more nothing less.

I know a lot of people have stock, but some of us are just car buyers with typical buyers expectations. Not everyone is in the game.

yeah I agree that everyone is not in the game of stock and on this forum if you are not in game then you are the most idiot person on earth or stupid (as if everyone who invested in tesla was born genius...:cursing:)

one of the reason might the heat of TX but I am not car expert by long shot. I understand the feeling of 100k brand new car dying first day (sort of nightmare for sure)

Wish your car get fix or check in the mail :wink:

One data point of interest I did not see would be: how many miles were on the car when you picked it up? Last time I heard this data it was 25-30 miles being the average.

I recognize your SN from 6speed. Welcome!

viperboy, the car had 26 delivery miles, right in line with your information.

Tesla picked it up this morning and left my wife a loaner MS. I imagine I'll hear from them this afternoon, initial report is the inverter cooling failure and shut the car down, but the car is also getting a false charge door open.

Wife loves the car, so onward!

I want to add a welcome and apology for people dumping on you. It's the last thing I would want while going through something like that. Tesla folks read these forums so I expect you are getting some royal treatment. Be sure to post your experiences, good or bad.

viperboy, the car had 26 delivery miles, right in line with your information.

Tesla picked it up this morning and left my wife a loaner MS. I imagine I'll hear from them this afternoon, initial report is the inverter cooling failure and shut the car down, but the car is also getting a false charge door open.

Wow, what a great attitude! You DESERVE to have everything work out ok in the end! Best of luck to you!

I think consolidated's story is an important lesson. Being that this is a new enough technology, one cannot easily determine the cause of failure could often be done on an ICE. I intend to play around town with my MS for as long as possible before taking her on any distance where "getting stranded" would pose a significant risk.

I think consolidated's story is an important lesson. Being that this is a new enough technology, one cannot easily determine the cause of failure could often be done on an ICE. I intend to play around town with my MS for as long as possible before taking her on any distance where "getting stranded" would pose a significant risk.

Heck I would do that with any car, EV or ICE. Although granted I am more hesitant with my MS simply because I'm learning how to drive with one pedal. The driving style between the MS and a manual/standard transmission is equivalent to the difference between a manual/standard and an automatic.

I'm glad to hear that Tesla is taking care of the situation. Please let us know how things turn out.

I also suggest testing each car's supercharging capability, UMC, and J1772 adapter before planning a trip that depends on any of them.