Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I wouldn't say he is an ultimate pro-Tesla guy. He also gets wrong on his science sometimes, like in that video claiming that 0-60 mph in under 2 s is physically impossible if the car can't stop in less than 2 s from 60 mph. But it seems that the pre-paid automotive journalism has got him too. And he made a video that I would rather expect from Sam Alexander.
No, he's not very pro-Tesla which I don't mind if there are legitimate points made. However, I agree that some of his videos are iffy as it's easy to manipulate the numbers to support a point of view. He also tends to focus on Tesla's negatives a little more than the competition which could very well be a result of outside influences. In this one, he hit on some key points though which even the anti-Tesla crowd would have to admit is accurate.

It's interesting you like the Mach-E brakes. I've read the comments that the Mach-E brakes are highly non-linear and it is a challenge to stop smoothly. Maybe they fixed it later-production vehicles.
I'm sorry, my fault for not being clear. I like the overall brake capacity of the E and the straight line stopping distance. There are issues of course. The brake feel on the E is not good. Ford blends regen and friction when the brake pedal is applied causing poor brake feel. This is the reason Tesla does not apply any regen when activating the brake pedal. Also, I'm not a fan of Ford using smaller brakes in the rear, the Y and the 3 use equal brakes at all four corners. While using smaller rear brakes is a great cost cutter that doesn't affect straight line braking, stability control uses all four brakes and sustained spirited driving will be constrained by the smaller rear brakes on the Ford.

This is the reason Tesla does not apply any regen when activating the brake pedal.
That's odd. My Tesla does.
Also, I'm not a fan of Ford using smaller brakes in the rear, the Y and the 3 use equal brakes at all four corners. While using smaller rear brakes is a great cost cutter that doesn't affect straight line braking, stability control uses all four brakes and sustained spirited driving will be constrained by the smaller rear brakes on the Ford.
Since braking shifts the weight of the car to the front and requires more force on the front axle than the rear axle, there is no use to put as big brakes on the rear axle wheels. Similar sized brake rotors, pads and callipers are more for show, since the rear tires will have less traction, and thus anti lock braking systems will just limit the total braking power of the rear wheels.

As it stands, Parts Catalog shows that the Model Y has 1188611-00 front brake rotors and double piston 1188621-00 callipers, with 8008240-00 brake pads. The rear brake rotors are 1188631-00, and have single piston callipers 188644-00 or 80882148088216/226/234/210-00. Also, on multiple specifications websites, a difference in rotor size between front and rear wheels are mentioned.

Brooks from DragTimes posted his Plaid 0-60s on the street. 1.99s with 1 ft roll-out.

I'm sure EE's got a good gig, however, videos are kinda like click-baity. For example, years ago Bjorn drove an EV for 24 hours and went >1500 miles. Then there was the most recent EV Cannonball run earlier this year. I think EE had a recent video asking whether it was possible to go 1000 miles in an EV in 24 hours. :rolleyes:

And I wouldn't say he is an ultimate pro-Tesla guy. He also gets wrong on his science sometimes, like in that video claiming that 0-60 mph in under 2 s is physically impossible if the car can't stop in less than 2 s from 60 mph. But it seems that the pre-paid automotive journalism has got him too. And he made a video that I would rather expect from Sam Alexander.

Since braking shifts the weight of the car to the front and requires more force on the front axle than the rear axle, there is no use to put as big brakes on the rear axle wheels. Similar sized brake rotors, pads and callipers are more for show, since the rear tires will have less traction, and thus anti lock braking systems will just limit the total braking power of the rear wheels.

Did you not read my entire post? You are correct for straight line braking, and I stated such myself. Stability control--not just anti-skid--uses all four brakes. So yes, there is in fact use for larger rear brakes than we're used to with braking systems optimized for straight line braking. It's not just for show, it's because under hard driving where the stability control is getting a lot of use the rear brakes will heat up just as much as the front. Stability control is constantly applying the brakes to all four corners as required to stabilize the car. Traction control also will do this where traction is limited. The two are really one system I believe, but there are differences in how the brakes are applied depending on the conditions. Do you not get that?

As it stands, Parts Catalog shows that the Model Y has 1188611-00 front brake rotors and double piston 1188621-00 callipers, with 8008240-00 brake pads. The rear brake rotors are 1188631-00, and have single piston callipers 188644-00 or 80882148088216/226/234/210-00. Also, on multiple specifications websites, a difference in rotor size between front and rear wheels are mentioned.

You are correct and I am mistaken. The Performance Y has 14" rotors front and 13.2" rotors rear. I was mistaken in thinking the fronts were also 13.2" I'm pretty sure the Mach-e has a much larger difference between the two, but short of searching for a reference I won't swear to it. It's hard to find the brake size because Ford lies about their brakes in their specifications. Mach-e specs One quick look at their specifications and you can see that the specs they list for brake size are physically impossible to fit in the rims specified. They specify 18" brakes for a car with 18' rims and 19" brakes for cars with 19" rims, which obviously is a lie. I used to think it was a mistake, but I pointed this error out to Ford employees a long time ago. I'm not sure why Ford feels the need to lie about brake rotor size? It does make everything else they say suspect though.

That's odd. My Tesla does.

Are you certain about that? I've tested my Y PUP and my 3 AWD and absolutely no regen is used with the brake pedal on either car. I can't swear to it with the X, but I do recall reading an interview with a Tesla engineer where he talked about why they don't use regen with the brake pedal. I'm always open to learning something, but I'd be pretty surprised to see regen used with your 3's brake pedal. Yes, you'll see the green bar when you put your foot on the brake, but it's from taking your foot off the accelerator. Get going downhill fast and play with the brake pedal. Pressing on it or releasing it has no affect on total regen.

Are you certain about that? I've tested my Y PUP and my 3 AWD and absolutely no regen is used with the brake pedal on either car. I can't swear to it with the X, but I do recall reading an interview with a Tesla engineer where he talked about why they don't use regen with the brake pedal. I'm always open to learning something, but I'd be pretty surprised to see regen used with your 3's brake pedal. Yes, you'll see the green bar when you put your foot on the brake, but it's from taking your foot off the accelerator. Get going downhill fast and play with the brake pedal. Pressing on it or releasing it has no affect on total regen.

Aye, telsas brake system is just the brake system. Regen would happen as you are off the accelerator also at the time of braking. But its not specifically related to the brake pedal and the brake doesnt affect the amount of regen.

How about you can't order a mach E and get it this year? The ground clearance on the mach E is not usable for anyplace that gets snow.. the Y can get 8.5" with a $500 mod... The build quality on the mach E I drove was great though.. of course they've only built like 3 so far sooo jury still out but no reason ford wouldn't continue their great build quality

Also who knows how good endurance wise the mach E batteries are.. also it's less efficient

Besides.. the SC network alone is enough to tip the scales

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Again, the ‘better value’ crowd can’t have it both ways:

The folks over at the Mach-E Club forums snagged some alleged documents from Ford to dealers saying dealers should expect about a 40 percent residual value on the new EV after three years and near 30 percent by year four. That puts a $60K Mach-E at about $18,000. An average car loses about 25 percent in the first year, and 15-18 percent from years 2 to 6, according to Black Book. Overall, residual values average about 52 percent over 36 months.

A Tesla Model Y will depreciate 48% after 5 years and have a 5 year resale value of $30,239.​

So the rumored depreciation after 4 years wipes out the initial pricing advantage.