Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how about 2020 model year MY vs current model year Mach-E.
Tesla made a ton of changes in the last 2 model years.

Did Ford even fix the High Voltage Junction Box issue that was brisking cars?

There was a software workaround to monitor temperature and limit power accordingly to prevent the physical failure.

I don't know if they have a new part design that eliminates the failure.

Ford shamefully called that software 'fix' a recall, when it was just a limp mode to get the owner to a dealer or somewhere safe. No one knows if they really fixed it yet. I think there were like 3 revisions, but failures were still being reported. And the insane part is the failure has to happen before the dealer will replace it. And that's a recall? lol.

Reactions: DrGriz
We sold my wife’s truck in 2021 with plans to buy a Mach E GT when they came out. Price at that time was 62k and not a single car on the lots anywhere around here for well over a year. When they finally hit the lots they were 82k plus adjusted dealer markup..🤣 While we were waiting for that fiasco to run its course. Ford recalled and could not sell the 1-2 cars on the lots around here. Then the people who somehow bought them started trading them back in, in droves!! 🤪. It was nothing for our dealers to have 2-3 used ones on the lot…they wanted new price for by the way. Now they have several at every local dealer…(pics from todays inventory) ..but how bad do you want it? For us, it was a no brainer….Model Y Performance please!

Attachments

• 288AC4EC-A5D4-4857-8353-4A1A049480D0.jpeg
    288AC4EC-A5D4-4857-8353-4A1A049480D0.jpeg
    730.3 KB · Views: 73
if i am going ev i will buy from an ev only company period...they have more skin in the game
Well I have to say that if I was to buy an EV that wasn't a Tesla, I'd look at say the Soul or Kona then I'd think ..."but it's one vehicle with three available power trains so it must have an inbuilt compromise"

Then I'd look at something like the Ionic 5 or the ID.4 and think "this is a vehicle that was built from the ground up as an EV"

Reactions: cusetownusa
Well I have to say that if I was to buy an EV that wasn't a Tesla, I'd look at say the Soul or Kona then I'd think ..."but it's one vehicle with three available power trains so it must have an inbuilt compromise"

Then I'd look at something like the Ionic 5 or the ID.4 and think "this is a vehicle that was built from the ground up as an EV"
Drive one first….
I am sure everyone will have a different opinion but after studying the field and looking at them all since 2021, I would have a hard time buying anything EV that wasn’t Tesla.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Drive one first….
I am sure everyone will have a different opinion but after studying the field and looking at them all since 2021, I would have a hard time buying anything EV that wasn’t Tesla.

Have you driven an Ioniq 5 or EV6? They are really great EVs and easily comparable to the Model Y/3. Many may rather prefer the feature set on those cars vs. Teslas. I just did a 300 mile road trip in my EV6 and the noise difference between that and the Model Y that I rented was rather large. Of course the Model Y had much more room and the software and charger networks were much better but as I said, its whatever feature set you want.

I like sporty cars so I still prefer my M3P but I can see why my wife chose the EV6 over the Model Y.

Reactions: tm1v2
I did not get the chance. Around here the dealers are more like stealerships. They want over MSRP and they didn’t have any in stock. No way I am giving MSRP for a Hyundai, much less over MSRP.

We wanted something that sits higher than a sedan and not as big as her Ram R/T that was lowered. Yet she wanted something that was sporty to drive and would hold its own when EV haters want to play.

I did not get the chance. Around here the dealers are more like stealerships. They want over MSRP and they didn’t have any in stock. No way I am giving MSRP for a Hyundai, much less over MSRP.

We wanted something that sits higher than a sedan and not as big as her Ram R/T that was lowered. Yet she wanted something that was sporty to drive and would hold its own when EV haters want to play.
Sounds like the EV6 would have been perfect for her. Right now though, the Model Y is a much better value due to tax credits. If tax credits aren’t a consideration, the EV6 and Ioniq 5 are nice alternatives.

I got the EV6 for a steal due to tax credits. Not so much anymore.

Sounds like the EV6 would have been perfect for her. Right now though, the Model Y is a much better value due to tax credits. If tax credits aren’t a consideration, the EV6 and Ioniq 5 are nice alternatives.

I got the EV6 for a steal due to tax credits. Not so much anymore.
We don’t qualify for the tax credit.

Even the EV6 GT is only mid 13’s so it is closer to the LR model. We couldn’t find anything that was the performance equivalent and price competitor to the MYP. Then add the charging infrastructure Tesla has and there is no match. If Model Y Plaid was available, we have gone that route.

EDIT….I also found Motor Trend is saying that the EV6 GT is almost identical to MYP spec (0-60 and 1/4 mile). I will keep my eyes open for one around here..

Last edited:
I would have a hard time buying anything EV that wasn’t Tesla.
That's true now, but I don't know how long that will be true for........
They are really great EVs and easily comparable to the Model Y/3
In everything but the charging infrastructure. Perhaps it's because I'm in Canada without the Electrify America network, but I'm finding the availability of Superchargers is a huge plus, even if I only need them every couple of months. But I know that can change, so while I say Tesla only for now, I know that in even 3 or 4 years that might not be the case.

That's true now, but I don't know how long that will be true for........

In everything but the charging infrastructure. Perhaps it's because I'm in Canada without the Electrify America network, but I'm finding the availability of Superchargers is a huge plus, even if I only need them every couple of months. But I know that can change, so while I say Tesla only for now, I know that in even 3 or 4 years that might not be the case.
We live in OIL country (panhandle of Texas) and it basically Tesla superchargers or almost nothing except the EV chargers at Sam’s club.