Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Car & Driver did not mince words in this head to head matchup.

The simple truth is that the MY came to market a year earlier, allowing Ford to take aim and level it. The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Really the only material reasons to buy a Y are if you like the Tesla software/minimalist ecosystem, you want to pay $10k to be a “full self driving” (it’s not, and it’s many years away, but it’s further along than Ford) guinea pig, or if you plan to road trip so much that need the superior convenience of the supercharger network (a gap that is closing thanks to all other mfgs adopting CCS).

This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.

The simple truth is that the MY came to market a year earlier, allowing Ford to take aim and level it. The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Really the only material reasons to buy a Y are if you like the Tesla software/minimalist ecosystem, you want to pay $10k to be a “full self driving” (it’s not, and it’s many years away, but it’s further along than Ford) guinea pig, or if you plan to road trip so much that need the superior convenience of the supercharger network (a gap that is closing thanks to all other mfgs adopting CCS).

This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.
2021 Ford vs 2020 Tesla??

Tesla wins in my mind because of:
1. history of improvements after delivery
2. Model Y is bigger, with 3 row option
3. Faster acceleration

Ford wins because:
1. Costs less
2. Center dash display

Does the Ford have a more plush tuned suspension versus Tesla's sport tuned suspension?
I would add to the Tesla wins:
-faster more reliable charging
-more robust software
-more robust driver driver assist suite. Not talking FSD, just basic autopilot. Copilot needs work from the demos I've seen. It can have issues keeping centered or distance from other cars.
-better Nav suite. And a tablet can serve as an Android Auto or Carplay device so they're also available to Tesla drivers.
-from the Munroe teardowns, the under the skin build quality of Teslas are notably better in my book regardless of Munroe's preference for plastic fasteners. The Mach-e just screamed cheaply made.

Yeah I get that ease of assembly is good for Ford, but I feel better about metal and bolts than plastic that tend to deteriorate over time in cars.

There are a couple things that the Mach-e has that Tesla should consider going forward:
-360 degree cam for parking.
-rear cross traffic alert

IMO, there really aren't very compelling reasons to skip over the Y if finances allow. The Mach-e falls short in some key areas, the most important being reliable and quicker charging. What's particularly notable is that it cannot take advantage of the faster charging speeds available. Maybe a future model will.

3. Faster acceleration

Ford wins because:
1. Costs less
2. Center dash display

Does the Ford have a more plush tuned suspension versus Tesla's sport tuned suspension?
That supercharger factor though…Tesla should get huge points for having a reliable, dedicated network.

3. Faster acceleration
1. Improvements after a delivery could also be interpreted as an indictment of Tesla's "push it out - fix it later" philosophy.
2. The Model Y is not bigger, and the 3rd row option is an (expensive) gimmick.
3. Barely faster acceleration when compared against apples-to-apples trim lines. Even comparing the significantly quicker MY Performance to a the non-GT, that difference wasn't nearly significant enough to sway C&D. Why? Because the MME just has too many other advantages.

MME is a no better value than Y
MME looks ugly in my book
The built is not better, there are many quality reports and recalls on the Mach-E
There are many complains on bad driving quality of the Mach-E, and the owners are yet to figure out how to stop it smoothly.
The Mach-E is NOT easier to operate, it requires more steps to drive and more menu steps to get to important functions.

MME maybe a quieter car.

5 false vs 1 true.

Remember the MME was simply declared (for undisclosed sums of money and benefits) the best car to buy before the deliveries ever began. My bet is that the MME will be out of production in 2 years as an ultimate failure.

1. Improvements after a delivery could also be interpreted as an indictment of Tesla's "push it out - fix it later" philosophy.
2. The Model Y is not bigger, and the 3rd row option is an (expensive) gimmick.
3. Barely faster acceleration when compared against apples-to-apples trim lines. Even comparing the significantly quicker MY Performance to a the non-GT, that difference wasn't nearly significant enough to sway C&D. Why? Because the MME just has too many other advantages.
1. I don't care about your twisted logic.
2. The Model Y is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger. Please stop spreading the lies. I checked both on the same day. MME feels as a Kia Niro econobox. MY feels ... well, as a bigger Model 3 with a HUGE storage in the back.
3. What? MY is faster. Period.

I would add to the Tesla wins:
-faster more reliable charging
-more robust software
-more robust driver driver assist suite. Not talking FSD, just basic autopilot. Copilot needs work from the demos I've seen. It can have issues keeping centered or distance from other cars.
-better Nav suite. And a tablet can serve as an Android Auto or Carplay device so they're also available to Tesla drivers.
-from the Munroe teardowns, the under the skin build quality of Teslas are notably better in my book regardless of Munroe's preference for plastic fasteners. The Mach-e just screamed cheaply made.

Yeah I get that ease of assembly is good for Ford, but I feel better about metal and bolts than plastic that tend to deteriorate over time in cars.

There are a couple things that the Mach-e has that Tesla should consider going forward:
-360 degree cam for parking.
-rear cross traffic alert

IMO, there really aren't very compelling reasons to skip over the Y if finances allow. The Mach-e falls short in some key areas, the most important being reliable and quicker charging. What's particularly notable is that it cannot take advantage of the faster charging speeds available. Maybe a future model will.
- CoPilot360 works great and seems to be on par with regular "AutoPilot" (man, what a name).
- The "better nav suite" still isn't as good as Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Suggesting that Tesla owners can easily have those things by adding another tablet to the car is both humorous and somewhat telling.
- The Munro videos have been interesting, but the Mach E seems to be holding up great. Tesla probably shouldn't be critiquing build quality. As C&D and many many other publications have recognized, the MME's interior cabin feels much more refined, from the seats to the textures to the quiet.

Finally, I listed the compelling reasons to choose the Mach E over the MY in the first post, and there are many: The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Last edited:
MME is a no better value than Y
MME looks ugly in my book
The built is not better, there are many quality reports and recalls on the Mach-E
There are many complains on bad driving quality of the Mach-E, and the owners are yet to figure out how to stop it smoothly.
The Mach-E is NOT easier to operate, it requires more steps to drive and more menu steps to get to important functions.

MME maybe a quieter car.

5 false vs 1 true.

Remember the MME was simply declared (for undisclosed sums of money and benefits) the best car to buy before the deliveries ever began. My bet is that the MME will be out of production in 2 years as an ultimate failure.
The MME is a significantly better value, currently, due to the $7,500 tax credit. I'll price this out for you in a bit.

Looks are subjective, to a point, but the MME has widely been acknowledged as being far better looking, including a number of crowd tests. (And, it is better looking. A lot better looking. I think "understated" was the best description on offer for the MY LOL).

Well, I guess you'll just have to agree to disagree with the folks at C&D (and many other publications) about build quality and driving quality.

- CoPilot360 works great and seems to be on par with regular "AutoPilot" (man, what a name).
- The "better nav suite" still isn't as good as Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Suggesting that Tesla owners can easily have those things things by adding another tablet to the car is both humorous and somewhat telling.
- The Munro videos have been interesting, but the Mach E seems to be holding up great. Tesla probably shouldn't be critiquing build quality. As C&D and many many other publications have recognized, the MME's interior cabin feels much more refined, from the seats to the textures to the quiet.

Finally, I listed the compelling reasons to choose the Mach E over the MY in the first post, and there are many: The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

I usually don't call people trolls, but you may change my take on it.

1. I don't care about your twisted logic.
2. The Model Y is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger. Please stop spreading the lies. I checked both on the same day. MME feels as a Kia Niro econobox. MY feels ... well, as a bigger Model 3 with a HUGE storage in the back.
3. What? MY is faster. Period.
1. Ok. LOL.
2. I've driven them both. The MY feels a bit roomier in the front thanks to its minimalist design. It actually feels more cramped in the second row. The rear cargo area looks a bit bigger but different publication disagree based upon what kind of luggage they were using. The MY is absolutely not "SIGNIFICANTLY bigger."
3. I said the MYLR is faster. But it's not a significant difference. Wasn't even significant to the enthusiasts at C&D testing the Performance" edition.

That supercharger factor though…Tesla should get huge points for having a reliable, dedicated network.
It does get points for that, from me and basically everyone else, including C&D. But as I said, the gap is closing and will continue to close because CCS will expand dramatically due its adoption by every other mfg. A diminishing advantage is not a great reason to buy inferior hardware in the long run.

Last edited:
Alright, so here is current pricing of two most apples-apples trims:

- MME Premium AWD Extended Range: $55,300. Add $400 for red and $600 for star white tri-coat. SUBTRACT $7,500 tax credit.

- MYLR: $52,990. Add $1,000 to $2,000 if you want any color other than white LOL. NO TAX CREDIT.

So if we're being charitable, a Star White MME 4X nets out to $48,400. And a White MYLR nets out to $52,900. The white MYLR costs $4,500 more. That's the closest you can get in price. If you go black paint, the MME 4X nets out at $47,800. The MYLR nets out at $53,900. The black MYLR costs a staggering $6,100 more. It gets even worse if you go blue.

Better value? Bottom line: Tesla realllllly needs that federal tax credit back (but if it got it, it would likely raise prices by enough to claim at least half of it for Tesla).

Last edited:
I usually don't call people trolls, but you may change my take on it.
I’m curious. Why do you call this guy a troll? I own a M3P but can’t disagree with anything he is saying other than #1. However even that one is more of my lack of experience with Ford’s CoPilot….and I have Tesla’s enhanced autopilot and it is not great at all (too much weirdness in driving and fairly consistent phantom breaking makes it useless.) everything else makes sense with out even having experience with the MME as a) Ford would obviously have better build quality as they have done this for decades (century) vs Tesla, b) M3 is by far the loudest car I have ever owned . MY is much the same thus I can’t imagine the MME being louder (or any modern car for that matter) and c) while I like the supercharger network (never really use it though) the CCS network in the US will obviously pass it in the next couple of years as CCS IS THE STANDARD for L3. Period.
Last looks are subjective but I have not heard many people complement the MY for it’s looks. I have certainly heard people mention the MME looks nice (I actually don’t find either super sexy but the MME is the better of the two. The MY looks like a Prius)

It does get points for that, from me and basically everyone else, including C&D. But as I said, the gap is closing and will continue to close because CCS will expand dramatically due its adoption by every other mfg. A diminishing advantage is not a great reason to buy inferior hardware in the long run.
I don’t disagree and EA, EVGo and similar networks are growing fast and I believe they outnumber the supercharger network overall. I can only speak to personal experience from my days with my Bolt and I encountered far too many issues.

Maybe it’s gotten better since then and if so, great! The easier the adoption and transitions to more EVs overall, the better! I’ve watched dozens of Mach-E videos and it looks really compelling. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice between these two great EVs.